Need Decent Heatsink

jakeradden

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Well, on my system, I currently have no problem with temps (X2 4400+ running at 2.6) but I'm thinking about getting a new heatsink/fan; the stock AMD one gets gunked up over time and I don't want it to fail and make mr. processor go explode. So I'm looking for a decent-quality, low-price, not massively efficient, socket 939 heatsink/fan for mine.
Any suggestions?

I think you'll find that all HSFs will get gunked up over time. It's a matter of the environment that the case is in. If it is in a dusty environment, on carpet and with pets, then it will likely need a lot more cleaning than a case that sits on a desktop or hardwood floors and no animals. You can get another HSF, but I don't think that it will solve your gunk issue. Just clean your case every 3-6 months. :wink:

jakeradden

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I clean my case every 2-5 weeks, with canned air. My main problem is that I have a dog who sheds enough to make another dog. I'd like to get my temps lower, (Currently ~40 idle ~55 load) with o/c to 2.6. That's my main motivation for looking for a better HS/F.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
So shave your dog, buy an electric generator, 10,000 gallons of fuel for the generator, and move to the top of the Großglockner! It's a much more permanent solution then getting a new hsf is. The cost, the hermit inducing location, the possiblilty of death, are all small inconveniences.

Have you put filters on the intake areas of your case? Even if the case didn't come with filters there are simple ways to add them yourself. Is there no higher place to put the PC?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The Tuniq and Ultra 120 will beat the Freezer 7 (64=AMD 7=Intel) into the ground. You'll get much better (+/- 20ºc) temps and be able to oc much higher. It'll work fine, just dont expect great temps with an high oc (3.2+).

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
The Tuniq and Ultra 120 will beat the Freezer 7 (64=AMD 7=Intel) into the ground. You'll get much better (+/- 20ºc) temps and be able to oc much higher. It'll work fine, just dont expect great temps with an high oc (3.2+).

Ok, if you were to get either the TT 120 or the T Ultra 120 (plus a fan) - which would you get. I haven't used either.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
The Ultra 120+, since it performs better. It's kinda big though, you might want to measure your case to make sure it'll fit.

This is the fan I would get, 220cfm! It'll work with the Ultra, but not the Tuniq, the Tuniq's fan is internal, and only 120x25mm fans can be used, this one is 38mm wide. It'll work with the Ultra because it's fan is strapped on the side.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
That Delta fan's too loud and I've read that that Ulta 120 is heavy. With a fan, the Ultra would be around $65 ... might just go with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro ($30) and keep any OC reasonable. I'm not that big on OC'ing anyway.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If you're using an E6600 get the Freezer 7 Pro, or you'll get a hsf with a bunch of incompatible hardware.

Buy the hsf off Xoxide, tis cheaper.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Yep, that's the one. $22 is the cheapest I've seen.
8O
Thats a great deal! They were close to $80 a month or two ago(new egg).
I think $30 is retail for those.
I like how the Freezer 64pro sounds in my rig, i can't hear it! Also when the fan ramps up, you know its doing its job (after a few hours gaming with an OC) The stock AMD fan i had sounded kinda whiny. The fan on the Freezer pro sounds like a "whoooosh"