Open Source Abuse

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hi All,
I recently had an interview with a company which I strongly suspect is using open source software as a significant part of a commercial product range, this is without any acreditation to the original authors.

From what I saw, their main product range is Linux based (probably Ubuntu), it also uses a number of media server and codec packages, all well hidden behind a custom UI.

What would you do?
Would you keep quiet, or report it?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Wait is this just the Linux kernel or the actual OS?

...but still under the open source license, this can't be allowed... try posting it to a news site or something... maybe Phoronix?

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
From what I saw it was a full OS with some custom software added; problem is without getting a copy, there's no way of proving it.

Having had some of my own work ripped-off some years back, it really gets to me when I see a company (which appears to be) leaching off the open source comunity without giving anything back.

You could try dropping a mail to the Free Software Foundation. They seem to be the people that bring in the legal teams in these sorts of situations. Certainly if you have strong impressions of shenanigans then you should let them know.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Just to keep you folks updated...
I have emailed FSF twice in the past week to ask for advice on the best way to proceed and what information they would require to investigate, to date there has been no reply...

I'll try once more early next week (when I get 5 minutes)...

linux_0

Splendid
They probably get a lot of mail and don't have enough people to personally respond to all emails :(

It sure would be nice if they could confirm they got your mail and will look at it when they can

:)

TRENDING THREADS