Help with Ubuntu install

requiemforroksy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Hi

I am trying to learn more about computers and how to use them. Currently I am trying to dual boot XP and Ubuntu on my computer. When I try to install Ubuntu I am running into a problem. I found a solution for it but I am not sure how to actually use it, it can be found here:

http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/08/05/fixing-the-vostro-hang-issue.html

If any of you can explain to me what to do (how to create a script etc.) I would really appreciate. I have a Vostro 200 and that's the exact same error I get when I try and install Ubuntu.

Thank you

khelben1979

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
If you're interested in dual booting, you should run Linux on an external usb disc and let XP be installed on the internal drive. You don't need to do this, but it's the most easiest thing.

Also, you should register on the Ubuntu forum to get further help with your problems.

USB does tend to be slow, but logical separation does work well. An old 8Gb IDE drive makes a fine place to learn and make mistakes without risking your main installation. If your on a laptop though its not always an option..

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Getting back to the initial question, requiemforroksy, your machine randomly halts on boot with the mentioned symptoms on the site.

On one of the occasions when the machine doesn't hang and successfully boots, open a terminal ("Applications->Accessories->Terminal", if memory serves me correctly), then simply either type in the commands or copy-and-paste them, line by line. A description of each:

Code:
$ gksudo gedit /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/load_ata_piix
This gives you root (or Administrator in Window parlance) access to write a file using the editor gedit called load_ata_piix in directory /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/

Executing the above should open a small window that will ask for your password, enter it and a new editor window will open that is blank. Into this document, copy the listed code (this is the only thing that's not copied into the terminal and run)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
PREREQ=""
prereqs()
{
    echo "$PREREQ"
}
case $1 in
# get pre-requisites
prereqs)
    prereqs
    exit 0
    ;;
esac
modprobe -Qb ata_piix

I could explain what this does precisely, but it's not that important. Just know that it tells initrd (which is a group of modules or drivers that the kernel loads early on to allow access to fundamental hardware, such as your SATA controllers and such, so that other modules can be loaded off of the hard disk by the kernel) to load the SATA controller module before the USB module, avoiding a race condition (don't worry about what this is either, just know that it's a bad thing). Once you've copied it into the editor, save the file (File->Save or Ctl+S) and close it.

You need to tell Linux that the file itself can be executed (run like a .exe or .bat file in Windows), so you use
Code:
$ sudo chmod +x /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/load_ata_piix
to change the permissions of the file to make it executable.

Once you've made the file and made it executable, the reason the file was place where it was is because any executable file in the location will modify the way the initrd ramfile is created. What you're in essence doing is putting instructions in a place where this tool will look at a bunch of instructions and configurations (let's say it's like leaving notes for a co-worker on how something needs to be done) and make this special file which is used to tell the kernel how to access hardware early in the boot process (it's akin to "teaching" the kernel how to read books, wherein the books teach the kernel how to ride a bike, make a souffle, etc.). To build this file, run
Code:
$ sudo /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/load_ata_piix
//Then run
$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

And that should be it! close the terminal, reboot the computer, and see if it fixes your problem. Let us know if you have any other issues.

Additionally, as the others have mentioned, for future tinkering, it might be a good idea to use an external drive to house linux.