Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Hi, I just wiped my old hardrive added a new power supply and gfx card and tried to install vista. At first it kept locking up during installation, until i deleted the old HDD partition and made a new one. It finished installation but it randomly locks up every 2-10 minutes sometimes it locks up before even getting to my desktop. The only thing I know to do right now is run memtest 86 so i am running it all day while at work. I have gotten one BSOD that may or may not be related, since it proceeded to reboot before i had a chance to read it. I have not had the time to check the dump yet. If anyone has any ideas about things i could try please let me know. Thanks

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
*update* after running memtest for 13 hours and booting it up it worked great! but an hour and a half later i installed all the windows updates and when I rebooted to let them finish. It started locking up again just like before. At this point I have run memtest again and booted back in, and its working as of now but i can't reboot or shut down for fear of this happening again.....please help....

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Really? It's the first time I have had to install a new one, would it be a problem with the connection to the mainboard? I don't really understand the reasoning because I don't have much experience with PSUs. My old PSU doesn't really have enough amps to support my new GFX card and my old GfX card is toast. So I can't really try using the old one, any other ideas?

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Well after having it on for 20 hours or so it locked up again. As usual when i rebooted ti went into a cycle of locking up every couple minutes, so i ran memtest AGAIN....now here I am its been running for 20 minutes or so now. Here is what i have in this system as of now

Foxconn 975X7AA-8EKRS2H LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard,

Intel Pentium D 950 Presler 3.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80553950,

OCZ Value Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)OCZ26671024V,

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16,

SILVERSTONE SST-ST56ZF ATX12V / EPS12V 560Watts Power Supply,

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM.

Thanks for your thoughts, but I still don't know what to do as far as testing that theory about the PSU.

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Hmm, sounds like a bit more than I have time for right now, I may see if swapping with my old PSU works at all. I also ordered 4 gigs of gskill ram on a whim when I first encountered an issue so Ill try that before investing in that tester which seems like a valuable tool to have anyway. Thanks Alot!

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Apparently after searching for a long time I found out that my Foxconn 975X7AA-8EKRS2H needs the latest bios to properly run vista, the issue is now that I can't extract the .bin file from the zip it comes with on foxconn's website. Anyone have any ideas?

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
www.rarlabs.com (Winrar) if that cant open it redownload it its an broken download

to make sure you do redownload it
click on Tools > internet options Delete > click on Delete Temp internet files > then redownload it and Not with an download manager

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Yeah, for anyone with this issue in the future, some of the .bins are not available from Foxconns website, my Mobo's bios was corrupted but they just sent me one this morning, I have yet to flash it*fingers Crossed*

aeguy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
I am having this issue where windows vista randomly freezes at the screen right after bios boot with the little scrolling green dots. They will scroll for a sec or two, and then just freezelock the cpu. I have tried to reinstall the OS but the same issue keeps occuring. I also bought a new harddrive and installed fresh on there, and the same thing occurs.
Im using asus a8v-e deluxe mb, amd 3500+ x64 chip, 1gigram, geforce 6600 graphics card. Any ideas? Sound like a power supply issue? Maybe motherboard is going bad? Im frustrated beyond belief.

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I had that issue 60% of the time, but I got into windows for a couyple mintutes the rest of it. I bought a new motherboard, but I am having issues with it and my currently installed copy of vista, after I get everything reinstalled I may have an answer as to if my motherboard fixed it. I did load it with some new ream but memtest had already approved my old ram like 1000 times so i doubt that was the issue...

Sarkamen

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
well, everything is up and running great now. It was either a motherboard issue or a Ram issue. It also could have been a combination because I was having infrequent crashes on Xp possibly due to that ram. Anyway thanks for your time. Also Aeguy, if I were to make a guess I would say it could be a Ram issue for you. You may want to try memtest if you havent already to see if it comes up with anything. Or you could always consider upgrading your ram if you have the cababilities. At lease it would be put the good use even if it doesnt solve the issue.