Linux light apps

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Anyone know of any good applications to linux light?

Particularly I'm looking for media players, image viewers, and a way to open executable files

p.s. I'm a total linux newb (obviously), resently I put a light linux (slax) into a bootable usb flash drive...but don't have a clue as to how to use it...any advice would help :whistle:

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
So can I just put those on the flash drive and have them be accessible? Or will I have to install them (on my laptop) each time I boot from the flash drive?

linux_0

Splendid
You could actually do a full install onto a flash drive if it's big enough and if you think it will not wear out on you due to too many writes

How big is your flash drive?

GL :)

horrorific

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
the flash drive is 1.8gb and I think it might end up getting worn down, since I've formatted it quite a few times already. I'll just use a cd.
I'm about to start burning ubuntu onto a cd, cross my fingers and hold my breath that it actually works. Since my laptop is being a drama-queen and refuses to start windows properly, my only worry is that a cd won't work :(

When you boot the CD for the first time run the Media check option, this tests the disk to make sure it is a good copy. If you then find you have problems loading Ubuntu (I suggest running it as a live session first) then take a note of the error and let us know. Frequently you just need to give a start up option to get round any driver issues etc.

Frankly, if Slax boots on your laptop then I would be surprised if Ubuntu didn't.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233042

Check this flash drive for size. 16GB $25 AMIR.

Probably better a flash drive that you can write files to, rather than a cd that can't be written real time. Would be faster too me thinks. Use that USB as your primary and keep the 16GB. That's what me says.