has Vista gotten any better

HTF

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
i am trying to decide whether to get xp or vista for my new comp i am building. has vista gotten any better with any of the updates?

any help would be great! thanks in advance.

What pkell said...

Sometimes it seems that most of the people who seem to hate Vista only do so because it's not XP (can't help you there...). Or because their ancient box won't run it (don't upgrade an old box). Or because they can't find drivers for the ancient component they've run for forever on XP (component maker's responsibility). Or because of unstable drivers (again - the component maker's issue) Or because their 10 year old game doesn't run on it (I love Planescape-Torment, too!!). Or whatever...

A more blunt answer is if you're not comfortable running Vista, then don't. From a user perspective the differences aren't all that great - DX-10 and a flashier interface, basically. And the layout is different, so you'll have to re-learn where a lot of things are. This last point especially seems to piss some people off to no end.

If you're building a new box, from new components, and are willing to refer to the manual now and again to figure out where MSFT put something, then you won't have a problem.

My experience with it is that it is about as stable as XP, that it's a lot more aggressive about managing system resources, and that I lost a whopping TWO frames per second in gaming.

Madrox

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Sometimes it seems that most of the people who seem to hate Vista only do so because it's not XP (can't help you there...). Or because their ancient box won't run it (don't upgrade an old box). Or because they can't find drivers for the ancient component they've run for forever on XP (component maker's responsibility). Or because of unstable drivers (again - the component maker's issue) Or because their 10 year old game doesn't run on it (I love Planescape-Torment, too!!). Or whatever...

A more blunt answer is if you're not comfortable running Vista, then don't. From a user perspective the differences aren't all that great - DX-10 and a flashier interface, basically. And the layout is different, so you'll have to re-learn where a lot of things are. This last point especially seems to piss some people off to no end.

If you're building a new box, from new components, and are willing to refer to the manual now and again to figure out where MSFT put something, then you won't have a problem.

My experience with it is that it is about as stable as XP, that it's a lot more aggressive about managing system resources, and that I lost a whopping TWO frames per second in gaming.

I agree

Also remember, if your going to build a machine take the Microsoft recommended requirements and do the following...

Basic computing - Regular requirements. I suggest a min. of 2GHz Dual core and 2GB memory (Videocard isn't THAT important)
Gaming - 2-3x Regular requirements I suggest a min. of 2.6GHz Dual core and 4-6GB memory (G-force 8800 series)
Video editing - Maxed out everything (I have a Mac for this and wont try it on 64Bit Vista)

HTF

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
well i was just referring to compatiblity problems and bugs and what not. nothing really in particular. i heard from a couple of people i should just wait until sp1 comes out for it.

and as for my build i am doing it for gaming and basic computing.

i'm going with:

antec P180B case
Antec true power quattro 850w
asus P5k deluxe
Ati radeon 2900 xt
Intel core 2 duo E6850 3.0ghz
and atleast 4gb memory

thats what i got so far.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
i would wait; but that is me. For me, it would cost a lot to go to vista as i have a lot of legacy devices that will not work with vista. However, if you are looking for latest and greatest as far as peformance and compatibility then xp is no brainer. However, if you are looking to future, then vista might be choice.