CHUCKP

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
SUBJECT: Major Slowdown in Upload Speed after using MS Vista-Help?

HERE IS MY SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

-HP Pavilion Slimline s3100y PC
-Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel Core 2 Duo processor E4500 (2.2GHz)
- 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, DVI-I, HDMI
-NETWORK ADAPTER: Intel PRO/100VE
- 400GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
- 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
- 15-in-1 memory card reader, USB, headphone port
- Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
- HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse

No outside vendor Firewalls-only the built in MS one

AVG Anti Virus (Free Editon) installed

CABLE INFO:
Cox HSI Premier Service 12down/1up
Direct-No Router
Modem to Computer connection: Ethernet Cable
Modem:
AMBIT U10C018
Cable RF MAC Addy: 00197E3C4E18
HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

When I first start up MS Vista I get speeds of about 15Mbps Down/1Mbps Up with Ping times in the 20-30ms range.

After a few mins I notice things starting to slow down and taking longer to load. Clearly, running Vista is killing my Broadband Connection speeds...but WHY?

I run another speed test from Speedtest.net and find that I have dropped to about 10Mbps Down/100kbps Up and my Ping times have gone up to over 300ms!!

I can then shut down Vista and when I start it back up...I am back down to what I should have in the 15/1 25ms range?

I had two techs out from Cox and they basicially said "This is a hardware/software problem...all of your readings on our test equipment are just fine...your signal strength is excellent..When we unplug the Ethernet Cable to your computer, our ping times are excellent and when we plug it back in, they go way up" They also replaced the Modem to no effect.

The suggested that I contact Customer Support at HP...I did so and explained the problem only to have the Tech Support person tell me that "You have a Cable problem, not a hardware problem...call your ISP"!!!

I tried to contact MS Vista Support, but they wanted $59 a question!

Then I found this excellent Forum.

Can anyone help me....it is SO frustrating to have an Expensive ($56.95/mo) superfast connection capable of such high speeds (I saw over 25kb/s Download speed once!) dragged down like this and not be able to determine why or what to do to correct the problem!

Here are three representative tests done on Speedtest.net: The first right after I started up Vista, the second after it had been running for 13mins (Note the tremendous drop in especially the Upload speed and the very sharp increase in Ping time in ms) and the third after shutting down Vista and starting it up again (Note that theUpload speed is now back up and the ping times are back down)

So far I have done the following to try and fix this BUG:
1. Disabled "Autotune" in the "Command Prompt"
2. Turned off the MS Windows "Phishing Filter"
3. Ran full AVG Virus Scan with negative results

I read about but have not been able to do the following that apparently worked for others:
1. Tried to "Rollback my Network Adapter" but the "Rollback" option is grayed out and there are no "Updates"
2. Disable IPv6 (Don't feel comfortable trying this as I don't feel competent to do so)

My next step is to drop $100 and call out "MAKE IT WORK" to see if they know how to correct this intolerable situation.

I am hoping someone here will help me so I can cancel the MIW tech house call!

Sincerely,

Charles I. Proche

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
you could just use windows task manager

bring it up and goto network
click on View > select columns > Tick the box bytes sent and recoved per interval
click ok and you see that in task manager you can now see how fast data is been sent and recived (move the slider bar over)
every thing over 1,000 is 1KB on your line you should be getting 1,300 KB ish (1.3MB/s) you need to download somthing that you know WIll max your download out as web sites cant allways give you Full download speeds so you may need to start like 5-6 downloads and see if it Levels off at an number

if your on ADSL line speeds may change its its an cable line (thst NOT over phone cable) it should be an constant speed

aeguy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Easiest fixes for this.

I was having same issue, after defragging HD it was fast again. Vista leaves some huge residual crap on the HD after an install.

Try this as well...

Try to see if yer connection got defaulted to 10mbps, instead of 100. Go into start/control panel/ system/ device manager/ hardware tab/ device manager/ find your network card/ right click/ properties/advanced/mediatype/ set to 100mbps.

Lamb_Chop

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I am having the exact same problem only with DSL and Alcatel modem/router.

I know it is caused by unclosed connections and some incompatibility caused by IP6 and how Vista handles uPnP but did not have the time to dig in too deep yet.

And if anyone is wondering, cheapest ADSL Router/Modem that supports IP6 is so far Cisco 817 about 400 bucks:)