Basic question: HDTV & cable

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 18, 2004 12:40:52 PM

I am looking at purchasing a 30-32" LCD panel.
The ones I am looking at are HD Ready. I have basic cable.
Does this mean that I will be able to see television programs broadcast in
HDTV over my current cable, or over the air?
Will I need to upgrade my cable to digital cable?
Thanks in advance.
JD
December 18, 2004 12:53:48 PM

"JD" <jaxnd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at purchasing a 30-32" LCD panel.
> The ones I am looking at are HD Ready. I have basic cable.
> Does this mean that I will be able to see television programs broadcast in
> HDTV over my current cable, or over the air?
> Will I need to upgrade my cable to digital cable?

Yes you will need an upgrade from your cable company. Comcast in my area
uses a pyramid pricing to of course get as much out of you as they can. You
have to upgrade to digital and also digital plus, then $5.00 more for the
HDTV which includes the box fee I suspose. You should check first to see
what is available in your area. Here, they currently only have the CBS
station, ESPN, and HBO, Cinamax, etc. if you are paying for that extra
already. They also include two fluff HDTV channels with some stuff on it.
So really you only get CBS and ESPN of regular programming here. So check
it out.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 2:34:10 PM

JD wrote:

> I am looking at purchasing a 30-32" LCD panel.
> The ones I am looking at are HD Ready. I have basic cable.
> Does this mean that I will be able to see television programs broadcast in
> HDTV over my current cable, or over the air?

HD ready means you have NO digital tuner.... but you have an HD TV...

For over the Air antenna (OTA) you need a digital tuner & probably
a UHF antenna... Good $25 antenna is a $25 Channel Master 3021 4
bay bow tie...
using RG-6 antenna cable.. A Good OTA Digital tuner is a new
Samsung T-451
at $250..... in a pinch it can pickup QAM Digital/HD Cable
channels that
are not scrambled.... Usually some of the local HD channels.
Using the T-451 for the few HD/Dig unscrambled Cable Programs is
'messy'...

A Walmart $200 OTA HD tuner is available that does not have QAM
Cable capability.

If you can skip the Digital Cable 'bundle' & just get the HD
package.....
with a QAM HD Cable box like a SA-3250-HD cost might be $18 per
month..

Or just ask for the HD Cable Box ($8/mo) & local HD channels which
are FREE !!

> Will I need to upgrade my cable to digital cable?

Your Digital & HD Cable programming is carried in the same cable as
Analog TV..
You will need a HD Cable Box ($8/mo) to get the Cable HD
channels...

A Cable & OTA Digital Tuner are different... A Cable Box usually
never
includes the OTA reception option....

As for upgrading your Cable... HD TV on cable requires 6 times
more
data than analog Program... Your Cable (from pole to HDTV)
should
be in perfect condition ... No RG-59 (yes RG-6) cable & few or
no
cheap/gold splitters.... Cable signal strength should read
between +1db to +10db on the Cable line just Before the Set Top
Box..
The Cable Co meter & with a GOOD! tech can give you the exact
number(s)
on your line & can debug it too ...

> Thanks in advance.
> JD
December 18, 2004 5:56:53 PM

"HD ready" generally means that the set does not have an HD tuner but will
reproduce HD from a separate tuner. So, in order to see HD on this set, you
would need to use an HDTV digital cable box or a tuner connected to an
antenna. If you now just have analog cable, then, yes, you would have to
upgrade. BTW, you will see some advantage, I imagine, in HDTV on a 30-32"
set, but nothing like what you would see on a big screen. To see HDTV in
its full glory, you really need a big-screen TV.

mack
austin

"JD" <jaxnd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at purchasing a 30-32" LCD panel.
> The ones I am looking at are HD Ready. I have basic cable.
> Does this mean that I will be able to see television programs broadcast in
> HDTV over my current cable, or over the air?
> Will I need to upgrade my cable to digital cable?
> Thanks in advance.
> JD

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:00:31 PM

The Cable Co. will try to sell you the full load. If all you want is
basic in HD then they have to supply it to you for the rental of a set
top box. Cablevision charges $4.95 for that. When you call however,
insist that is all you want or you will get the bigger package.
One time installation for HD is $34.95.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:40:52 -0500, "JD" <jaxnd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am looking at purchasing a 30-32" LCD panel.
>The ones I am looking at are HD Ready. I have basic cable.
>Does this mean that I will be able to see television programs broadcast in
>HDTV over my current cable, or over the air?
>Will I need to upgrade my cable to digital cable?
>Thanks in advance.
>JD

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 2:41:25 AM

What is cablevisions definition of "basic" HD? Is it only CBS, NBC,
ABC, Fox? Also, according to their website, they will give you the
equivalent of whatever your current analog package is plus Digital I/O
that then includes HD for $9.95. It's not clear if that $9.95 also
includes the box rental.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:59:49 AM

"klaatu" <blobnospam@optonline.net> wrote in message
> The Cable Co. will try to sell you the full load. If all
you want is
> basic in HD then they have to supply it to you for the
rental of a set
> top box. Cablevision charges $4.95 for that. When you call
however,
> insist that is all you want or you will get the bigger
package.
> One time installation for HD is $34.95.
>
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:40:52 -0500, "JD" <jaxnd@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> >I am looking at purchasing a 30-32" LCD panel.
> >The ones I am looking at are HD Ready. I have basic
cable.
> >Does this mean that I will be able to see television
programs broadcast in
> >HDTV over my current cable, or over the air?
> >Will I need to upgrade my cable to digital cable?
> >Thanks in advance.
> >JD

Wonder if y'all have an answer to this question. I presently
have the standard Cablevision service--I believe it is
partially digital at least (dunno if part analog?) but use a
box. Here, I split the incoming cable in 3 to [1] vcr (using
end F connectors) then tv via video input (actually I chain
a 3d vcr thru this vcr--sometimes I tape programs with all 3
vcrs simultaneously), [2] my computer broadband, and [3] the
box for the scrambled channels (which then goes to a second
vcr then to tv Rf input). I hope to upgrade to the i/o
digital service which needs a new box for scrambled stuff
and/or a special HD box for HD--was thinking to get 1 new
standard box for my old tv, and 1 new HD box for a new HD
set. Now, I dunno if I'll still be able to split the cable
before either box for 1 or more vcrs, or if I need two
standard boxes besides the HD box before it--or if you can
even go thru a vcr before the tv at all--I remeber hearing
something 'bout copy protection on digital precluding
that...or maybe that was just for DVDs? Oh yeah, I'm pretty
sure the HD box at least will have component connectors
which I would use plus others for tv or vcr. Dunno how many
total tho. What is the proper way to split signal if not
enough box connections, and where do vcrs hafta go in the
whole chain. Do I need a cable guy to check signal
strengths? (I'd hoped to get the boxes by mail and do it
myself I think, but...) Getting confused, ...tonyC
December 19, 2004 6:53:04 AM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:34:10 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

> Using the T-451 for the few HD/Dig unscrambled Cable Programs is
>'messy'...

Could you explain this a little more ?
December 19, 2004 12:22:49 PM

"klaatu" <blobnospam@optonline.net> wrote in message
> The Cable Co. will try to sell you the full load. If all you want is
> basic in HD then they have to supply it to you for the rental of a set
> top box.

That's not what the Comcast person said. They told me you have to have the
digital and digital plus to get HD. Is there some kind of regulation that
you don't? Let me know please.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 2:42:52 PM

On 18 Dec 2004 23:41:25 -0800, trader4@optonline.net wrote:

>What is cablevisions definition of "basic" HD? Is it only CBS, NBC,
>ABC, Fox? Also, according to their website, they will give you the
>equivalent of whatever your current analog package is plus Digital I/O
>that then includes HD for $9.95. It's not clear if that $9.95 also
>includes the box rental.
Basic HD information is not on the Cablevision web site, but it
exists. I found this info on the Yahoo Cablevision user group.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 7:05:29 PM

Yeah, that ain't all that's not on the Cablevision website. I went
looking for info on their new PVR unit and all you find is under Q&A it
says to call customer service. We all know how knowledgeable and
reliable they are. It seems it's too much for them to put some basic
info on features, cost, etc on the website, even though lots of people
already have them. Just incredible for a company that wants to be your
internet, cable and phone company.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:42:03 AM

gerry wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:34:10 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Using the T-451 for the few HD/Dig unscrambled Cable Programs is
> >'messy'...
> >

> Could you explain this a little more ?

The T-451s primary use is for 'good' OTA (over the air antenna)
Digital TV reception. Since the T-451 has only one Antenna OR QAM
Cable connection input (many T-451 outputs not significant to the
question),
you must run either the OTA RG-6 or the QAM Cable connection to
the T-451 Digital input Port.....

If you want to scan/use OTA option, DEleting the 'unused'
QAM Cable sub channels is difficult and using/scanning QAM cable
is impossible if the QAM Cable is disconnected....

Simply put.... Do you want to 'use' either Digital OTA or QAM
Cable unscrambled
Digital cable TV at any given moment....
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 4:15:00 PM

On 19 Dec 2004 16:05:29 -0800, trader4@optonline.net wrote:

>Yeah, that ain't all that's not on the Cablevision website. I went
>looking for info on their new PVR unit and all you find is under Q&A it
>says to call customer service. We all know how knowledgeable and
>reliable they are. It seems it's too much for them to put some basic
>info on features, cost, etc on the website, even though lots of people
>already have them. Just incredible for a company that wants to be your
>internet, cable and phone company.

The cable tv companies are basically construction company mentalities.
It takes them a real long time to hire the right people.
!