Widows XP freezes at boot screen after installing NVidia drivers

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Recently, my system that has been running stable for 6 months had a funny shutdown procedure where the screen went black and just a cursor was left blinking in the upper left corner. Upon reboot, the system froze on the windows boot screen. When this happens, it restarts on its own and then tries again, but fails. I fortunately had made a complete back-up of all my files not too long ago, so I tried a clean install of XP x64 PRO.

The install works fine, and I can get all drivers installed successfully, (with successful restarts in between), including updating to service pack 2. I leave the Video card drivers for last, and attempt to install the latest drivers for my SLI GeForce 7900GS cards, When the NVidia installwizard launches, the system goes black and restarts with the same black screen as before. Then the system will no-longer boot. Safe mode still works. I tried skipping the installshield and manually installing the drivers, but the problem persists. Anyone have any ideas?

Reinstalling windows for the sixth time including reformatting the drive into NTFS is getting extremely frustrating, especially on a system that was fine just 3 days ago...

Thanks, Tucker

You could try installingthe video card driver with just one video card. You didn't list your specs., but your power supply may be weak six months down the road. Sounds like you have a problem with either a video card or your psu. Also, perhaps try the video card CD that came with the card and see if that manufacturer tested driver will install.

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the advice.

The specs are as follows

MB: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD Opteron 185 socket 939
PSU: PowerTek 750Watt
GPU: 2 x NVidia GeForce 7900 GS (XFX)

Everything was new in Jan. '07

I'll try with just one card, and post in a couple of hours. Repairing the version of windows just results in the whole process cycling endlessly, which means I have to go through a clean install every time. Is there any known reason why I can't do a Quick NTFS format over the normal one? That would save me a bunch of time.

Unfortunately, the driver disk that came with the cards didn't include a x64 version, but the cards worked flawlessly for 6 months, so I know that they are compatible.

~Tucker

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Also, is it recommended that I install service pack 2 and fully update the machine BEFORE I try to install the video drivers? Since I know the problem is with the drivers can I try them immediately after windows finishes installing?

After you install your OS, install the system drivers from the MB CD, then install the video driver from the CD. Then install the updates online for your OS. Then install all other software applications you will use.

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Once again, the XP install went fine.

MB drivers installed correctly, and the system reboots perfectly.

In the middle of the driver install for the video card, the screen goes black, and just a blinking "_" remains.

Perhaps it is a hard drive error?

Seems as though all system files become corrupted now, as it wont reboot, and even when the driver is removed in safe mode, it still wont boot.

Loads to a black screen and eventually reboots BIOS, resulting in a black screen again.

~Tucker

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Should I try the some archived drivers? Something that worked before?

I can try the cards, I also have an extra 7900GS I can throw in there as well.

The power supply should be fine. It was top of the line back then, and supplies plenty of juice.

I'll post in a little while the results.

Thanks for your help so far...

Something that worked before?

yes.

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Seems as though I may have isolated the problem.

When trying to just turn on the computer with only one card installed, my second card would not even prompt the BIOS, where my primary did.

I'm reinstalling windows now and Im going to give it a shot.

tuckerjensen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
When installing the working card, EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT!!!

I guess I'm just down a couple hundred, unless I can get some warranty work.

They are less that a year old...

But, it works great now, and I really appreciate your help BADGE.

Thanks,

~Tucker