First time with any l;inux

Hey guys so I bought a second hard drive finally and am now running Ubuntu. any way i have a few question though. I can access my other hard drive from linux so can something steal my information from linux and windows? linux doesn't need an antivirus right? thanks again.
11 answers Last reply
More about first time inux
  1. also just really messed it up. i wanted more screen resolutions and i found my monitor and chose it and my res and i rebooted and now the whole thing is lines like unreadable. so am i really screwed?
  2. The windows side of things shouldn't be able to see your Linux partition, not unless you install extra software, so a virus won't be able to get at it. (Well - never say never. In theory a virus could contain the code to access a foreign file system but I think the chances of anyone ever writing such a thing are remote.) And there aren't really any native Linux viruses.

Your screen problem should be solvable if you can get to a command prompt. Try doing <Alt>-<Ctrl>-<F1> with Linux running. This should switch to a text display allowing you to log on to a command session. Then do "cd /etc/X11" then "mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.old". This effectively gets rid of the configuration file that tells the GUI specific information about your PC. (Never completely delete anything until you know you don't need it which is why I suggest renaming the file, not deleting it.)

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, but if it's like any other Linux distribution the xorg graphics server should work without a configuration file, so when you reboot (just type "reboot" at the command prompt) you should get your GUI back. If not, you haven't lost anything as you still have the backup of the config file.

If that doesn't help, post a few details about your graphics card and monitor and people may be able to help further. Also a copy of the xorg.conf file would be useful.

Good luck.
  3. ok thanks (on windows now) i just installed opensuse 11 fine and it runs one problem it doesn't show up in grub. maybe because i chose not to i read it as that it was going to install another bootloader so i choose no bootloader, did it really mean that it was installing to the grub? so what would the best way to go around to get it to appear to the bootloader? thanks
  4. Should be fairly easy to add OpenSuse to your grub menu, but the exact commands to use will be dependent on OpenSuse (which I don't use). Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you the exact configuration to use. If not, bump this thread and I'll install OpenSuse in a virtual machine and see what's needed.

Do you have both Ubuntu and OpenSuse installed now, or just OpenSuse? Which partition of which drive (if you have more than one) is it installed to? From what you say I take it that you get a Grub menu but OpenSuse isn't on it (which sounds like you've still got the Ubuntu installed). In that case it should be fairly trivial.
  5. ok so just tried installing opesnuse grub. heres the new problem/issue.

ok so if i boot to my vista hard drive now it goes right into opensuse, boot into hard drive 2 i get the grub loader which has ubuntu and windows vista laoder but when i hit the vista it goes to opensuse. but i changed it from hd0,0 to 1,0 and i got back to my vista ok. so did i really screw it up now?
  6. Sounds like when you installed Ubuntu you installed grub to the MBR on your second disk, and when you installed it on OpenSuse you installed to the MBR on disk 1, overwriting your Vista MBR. I'm sure that can be restored but I think the best thing to do is to:

1. Post copies of the file "/boot/grub/menu.lst" from both your OpenSuse and Ubuntu partitions (I'm assuming you've still got Ubuntu installed). You should be able to see the Ubuntu partition from OpenSuse.

2. Give us a list of exactly what partitions you have on your disks and where everything is installed.

It should be fairly easy to fix things with that info. At some stage you'll need to restore your Vista MBR, but that shouldn't be a problem.
  7. so now my mount point was changed back into windows/c and /d but i cant boot into ubuntu or windows but i got the opensuse grub menu and i can have boot options is that like editing the line? i can see my windows and can access stuff so making backup's of all my files jsut in case.

heres what i have (maybe had opensuse may have changed something)
    sda
    sda1=hpfs/ntfs (vista)
    sda2=hpfs/ntfs (just storage on vista drive)
    sdb1=ubuntu
    sdb2=extended
    sdb3=opensuse 11
    sdb4 boot opensuse
    sdb5 swap
    sb6 Linux native

it said it changed mount point of dev/sda1 to /windows/c
    and mount point sda2 to/windows/d.

am i screwed?
  8. so i am now donw messing around with more then one linux on one hard drive for now. i reinstalled ubuntu64 bit on the 1tb and it took up the whole disc. i booted from the first hard drive and got grub 1.5 picked vista longhorn and loaded it fine, restart it picked ubuntu (and still on right now) and am happy. quick note if i boot from second hard drive it gives me grub error any ideas? I am now going to move my files from vista to ubuntu thank you guys for the help and ideas. i do have one that may seem simple to someone i want to get more screen resolutions i have an evga 9800gtx video card and acer ac713 crt when i choose my monitor in the screens and graphics it bugged out on me. any thoughts. thanks once again you guys are great.
  9. Grub error from 2nd disk is probably because that was the one that OpenSuse installed Grub to. As that installation is no longer there it can't find the configuration file, hence the error. Don't worry about it.

I've found that it can be a bit difficult getting the full range of resolutions with the latest versions of Linux. Be particularly careful with a CRT monitor as, in theory at least, a wrong setting could blow your monitor. It's all controlled by the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that I mentioned before (although you may not even have such a file - the xorg server picks pretty good defaults nowadays) .

It's a bit difficult to tell you what should be in that file in your case. Ideally someone else running that monitor and a similar graphics card is reading this and can help.

Just as a hint, if you ever mess up the resolutions again there are a couple of things that you can try, other than what I suggested before:

1. <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<+> (on the numeric keypad) should cycle through all available resolutions.

2. If all else fails, at the Grub boot menu press "e" for edit, highlight the line with "root=" in it, press "e" again, add "single" to the end of it and press "b". (You might have to press <Enter> before that "b".) This will boot you into single-user mode - just that one time - which is a bit like Windows Safe Mode. You'll get a command prompt where you can rename files, restore old versions of config files, etc.
  10. i updated to 8.10 and it came with a driver for my video card and crt. so all is good now. thanks.
  11. Good news.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Linux