Will win7 64 pro boot when I replace MB/CPu

bill vann

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Well last friday my 596mhz 512k laptop died. But the good news is I have a desktop ...that died an hour later.

spent sat/sun buying and setting up a new ASUS i3 laptop and retrieving my docs from my desktop, critical as I'm in a jobe search!! (talk about bad timing) but got everything up and running,

Desktop dies in bios and as it was old figured time to rebuild. the MB has been a bit flakey for a while.

So I ordered a Gigabyte Z86 MB, an i5 2500K cpu, 16 gig of ram, and a new dvd as the new MB has no IDE. They'll be here today and I'll build it in the next couple days.

To be clear I'm keeping the case, PS, 4 HDDs (replaced the old ones 5 months ago) and video a geForce 8800 so still quite decent for my minimal gaming

since the HDDs are fine and have a viable win7 64 pro build, do you think the computer will boot? I'm hoping not to have to rebuild as it was a bear getting the OEM upgrade to install, it has no MBR so if I have to rebuild from scratch it is going to be a problem. I did make the repair/restore disks but don't know if they'll work either.

sheesh, in the day I built and worked on these and wondered why folks didn't do their own work, but without the cheater disks and MS / other vendor support disks it can be a pain to do some of this stuff.

bill

Technically, you will end up with a new and different computer. This means that the OEM version cannot be legally transferred to the new computer. You can try calling and requesting Microsoft to validate the new install. After you explain your situation, they may oblige you with validation.

If you swap out your mobo using an OEM version of Windows 7, it will require you to validate it again. That's why I went retail....

But since the old PC is toast, you can legally transfer the license over to the new one easily enough. The MS helpline should be able to sort you out.

bill vann

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
All is well in Bill-ville up and running sorting some new utilities

Not much drama forgot to have a keyboard on to get into the bios and had to manually reset it then head to reorder the boot drive now it is good, using the computer to write this

TRENDING THREADS