Sign in with
Your question

Corsair XMS2 6400C4: good choice or look for something else?

Last response: in Memory
May 10, 2007 8:40:22 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for memory for my future system upgrade, and have a chance to buy 2GB of Corsair XMS2 6400C4 memory for quite a cheap price (hopefully around $100- 110). But both on NewEgg and here I read reports of several people having had problems with those, so I wanted to ask whether you think it's a good choice or I might better buy some other sticks (which if so?).

Thanks!
a b } Memory
May 10, 2007 8:57:16 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for memory for my future system upgrade, and have a chance to buy 2GB of Corsair XMS2 6400C4 memory for quite a cheap price (hopefully around $100- 110). But both on NewEgg and here I read reports of several people having had problems with those, so I wanted to ask whether you think it's a good choice or I might better buy some other sticks (which if so?).

Thanks!

You should list your complete specs so someone can make specific suggestions for you. Corsair is a maker of some of the most highly regarded high performance RAM out there. I have 5 GBs of this PC6400 CAS 4 G. Skill and use it with a P5B-Deluxe and a q6600. The customer reviews are high and deservedly so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
May 10, 2007 9:03:57 PM

Thanks. The supposed system will be something like this:

Intel Core 2 Duo e4300 (great overclockability and allows me to save some money for a good m/b and video card)

Asus M/b (trying for P5N32-SLI)

Asus nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB

etc.

Edit: just read the reviews for the G. Skill. Is the difference between Micron and Promos chips really as crucial as it seems? In that case the Corsairs are probably not the best choice, since as I understand they switched to Promos for the 6400C4 kits.
a b } Memory
May 10, 2007 9:07:39 PM

The sixth customer review from the top says:

Quote:
Pros: ram that will work with asus p5n32-e sli PLUS!
May 10, 2007 10:01:51 PM

Quote:

Corsair is a maker of some of the most highly regarded high performance RAM out there.

Thats only true about their extremely high-end products that have a very poor price/performance ratio.

The truth is that Corsair and OCZ are not worth ur money. They use inferior chips and price them above their competitor's superior chips.

Look for companies like Geil, Crucial and G.Skill for the best products at the best price. The truth is that Corsair and OCZ not only price their products very high, but also dont make good high-end products at all.

These two are both the best, buy one of them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They use far superior chips than the Cosair 6400C4 and are price at almost half the price. There is no question here who is best.
May 10, 2007 10:32:43 PM

Thanks a lot, guys!
a b } Memory
May 10, 2007 11:21:06 PM

Quote:
Thats only true about their extremely high-end products that have a very poor price/performance ratio.

You mean that's not true as far as you are concerned. I've used Corsair value RAM and Corsair XMS. I would consider Corsair products to be of high quality and Corsair high performance RAM to be one of the more highly praised, more sought after and most often used where professional high performance system benchmarking is involved. I really believe if you had a bad experience with Greyhound you would tell me the company is known for their poor price/performance ratio.
May 10, 2007 11:58:09 PM

Quote:

Corsair is a maker of some of the most highly regarded high performance RAM out there.

The truth is that Corsair and OCZ are not worth ur money. They use inferior chips and price them above their competitor's superior chips.

Look for companies like Geil, Crucial and G.Skill for the best products at the best price. The truth is that Corsair and OCZ not only price their products very high, but also dont make good high-end products at all.

These two are both the best, buy one of them:

They use far superior chips than the Cosair 6400C4 and are price at almost half the price. There is no question here who is best.
The crucial you listed are very good but the G-Skill are a hit and a miss
Some modules are Elpida AG-6E-E (before 05/2006) some are microns
Corsair modules are for the most very reliable and you get what you pay for.
My preferences are Corsair XMS2 Super talent or Crucial (anything)
If you want price / performance go for the Corsair value ram 2 GHz package under $90.00 slap heat spreaders on them and clock 800MHz all at low voltages CAS5
May 10, 2007 11:59:12 PM

Quote:

You mean that's not true as far as you are concerned. I've used Corsair value RAM and Corsair XMS. I would consider Corsair products to be of high quality and Corsair high performance RAM to be one of the more highly praised, more sought after and most often used where professional high performance system benchmarking is involved. I really believe if you had a bad experience with Greyhound you would tell me the company is known for their poor price/performance ratio.

No, I mean its simply not true.
This isnt a subjective experience, but an objective look at their memory, wich is mostly NOT "high-quality" and definetely not high performance.

Im of course talking about the high-end - the one that most ppl who want to overclock are looking at.
Corsair dont have a high-end series worth competing with anyone of the companies ive mentioned (Crucial, Geil, G.Skill, etc.). All that they have are products that cost just as much as high-end products, but arent.
Ive personally spoken about this issue with a friend of mine who is a Corsair representitive, and i assure u i know what im talking about.

The only good products Corsair and OCZ make are low-end, wich suck anyway, and extreme-end. Since anyone with 75 IQ points can realize that paying 600$ for RAM modules is pathetic, i can also rule out that class of modules, even though its the only class that they actually got right, and yes they got it very right.
May 11, 2007 12:04:57 AM

Quote:

The crucial you listed are very good but the G-Skill are a hit and a miss
Some modules are Elpida AG-6E-E (before 05/2006) some are microns.

Hit and miss? Do u actually know how to read a calender? Only modules created before May of 2006 (one year ago) were Elpida. All the new ones are pure Micron D9.
Quote:

What? Corsair dont even use Micron D9 on their 6400 modules, how can u say that they are reliable??
Quote:

My preferences are Corsair XMS2 Super talent or Crucial (anything)
If you want price / performance go for the Corsair value ram 2 GHz package under $90.00 slap heat spreaders on them and clock 800MHz all at low voltages CAS5

800Mhz CL5 is worthless. You wont be able to overclock an inch.
May 11, 2007 12:16:50 AM

I’m not quite sure why you’re all fired up.
Your choice is your own and 2006 modules are still on the market.
I own corsair modules and they are both Promos and Micron.
Your opinion is fine with me but it’s just an opinion.
CAS5 is fine for most applications at 800 MHz for a budget system.
The difference is how much voltage you have pump into the modules to run high MHz and low CAS timings.
My Corsair hovers DDR2 1000 4 4 4 12 @ 2.1 volts.
The super talent run 4 4 3 8 DDR2 800.
The promo cheap Corsair ram modules run 4 4 4 12 800 MHz and you can’t tell them apart form another product.
If you’re talking high end the price is not the deciding factor at all
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 3:11:19 AM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion about brands but, your information is wrong. If you need clarification about our ICs used, look at the link below. Also, virtually every RAM company worth mentioning is currently making lots of memory with non-Micron ICs. Our modules are reliable and carry our lifetime warranty.

Corsair IC List: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5733...

What? Corsair dont even use Micron D9, how can u say that they are reliable??
.[/quote]
May 11, 2007 6:16:47 AM

Could someone maybe explain (or point to a link) the difference about micron and promos chips? I couldn't find this info.

Edit: I did find some info. As I reckon, it has to do with overclockability - Micron chips overclock very well, Promos don't, right? That would explain the heated debates :) 

Anyway, another question - I read that from Micron chips GKX is supposed to be better than GMH, but more expensive and hard to find.
I saw on the IC list at http://ramlist.infinityx.nl/ddr2/ that the high-end Kingston HyperX kits use it (PC2 8500 and 9600). One can buy the 8500 for around $240. So the question is - is the difference in performance worth the difference in price (as compared for example with $120 for the Ballistix kit)?

P.S. I was a bit suprised that no-one ever even mentions HyperX memory. Any reason for this? I had HyperX for the last 5 years and never had a single problem with it.
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 2:55:46 PM

1 of the major differences between the current Promos ICs and the current Micron ICs is that the Promos has onboard voltage regulation on the IC. The Micron D9s don't. So, the Promos ICs don't respond to voltage increases like the Microns do.

The perception that Promos is bad is a wrong one. It's just that for OCing, Micron is currently better for hitting high frequencies. The Promos actually OC rather well considering and MANY companies are making memory with Promos ICs.
May 11, 2007 3:33:10 PM

Micron D9 are the best RAM chips in the world.

It dosent matter how much u think that PROMOS are better, its not going to change the fact that they are nothing compared to Micron D9 and that the sky is blue.

Im sorry if me being fired up about this hurt anyone.. thats not my intent.
I just get so frustrated when ppl tell me that im wrong and that what i say is my opinion. Its bordering on religious belief and i cant stand that.
I want everyone to accept the objective truth.
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 3:56:03 PM

Quote:
Micron D9 are the best RAM chips in the world.

It dosent matter how much u think that PROMOS are better, its not going to change the fact that they are nothing compared to Micron D9 and that the sky is blue.

Im sorry if me being fired up about this hurt anyone.. thats not my intent.
I just get so frustrated when ppl tell me that im wrong and that what i say is my opinion. Its bordering on religious belief and i cant stand that.
I want everyone to accept the objective truth.
No one in this entire thread said Promos are better Track. And, I did not dispute your opinions. But, you made some blanket statements above that are flat out wrong, or you knowingly lied.

Speaking of that, why don't you and I have a conversation with this Corsair employee buddy of yours. We can explore your knowledge of our ICs used. We can also discuss his opinion of his employer which I personally believe is the best memory company on the planet. But, that's just my opinion.

If you don't like Corsair, fine. If you want to promote other brands, fine. But, don't be a thread crapper or a shill, don't go around mistating facts, pawning off your OPINION as fact, and lying about my company and its employees.
May 11, 2007 5:05:50 PM

What I say IS fact, wether u want to believe it or not.

Corsair DO NOT make good high-end products, because those products do not use Micron D9 chips.
Its impossible for a PROMOS chip to be clocked as high as a Micron D9 chips, no matter how much u like Corsair.

I do however think that Corsair make good memory modules. This IS subjective and it IS my opinion and it is also urs. I dont KNOW they u make great products, i only think u do. The only problem I have with u is that they use PROMOS chips much more then they use Micron D9 and not even Corsair can make PROMOS chips be as good as Micron D9.

The person whom i talked to is a Corsair rep. who usually hangs out on the HardForums. He explained to me all about what Corsair is doing, and im not blaming u - uve done nothing wrong. Its just that other companies are doing beter. And dont worry, he loves Corsair just as much, or even more than u do. He depicts quite a vivid and highly positive picture of the alleged inner workings of Corsair.

And ironicly, ive also been talking to an OCZ rep. Originally i saw Corsair and OCZ on the same wave length - making allegedly good products using bad chips to increase profits (he explained it wasnt as bad as it sounds but how much better can it be?)
Anyway, ive found that OCZ make excellent Micron D9 900Mhz CL4 memory, and im tempted to buy it and not the Crucial and G.Skill for the soul reason that it appears to overclock slightly better.
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 5:54:13 PM

Your posts are odd and hard to follow. Perhaps you should reread the thread before replying. You are being vague yet repetitious all at the same time.

Here's a short list for you of things you may want to study up on.

1. I know the only other Corsair rep that posts at [H] and he did NOT tell you that we don't have memory to compete with other companies. In fact, many of the companies you mentioned don't have Micron based memory to compete with us.

2. No one in this entire thread said that Promos is faster than Micron.

3. You made the statement that "Corsair dont even use Micron D9, how can u say that they are reliable?? " This is vague and incorrect all at the same time. You are either confused and or trying to confuse others.

4. Yet another blunder on your part; "Corsair DO NOT make good high-end products, because those products do not use Micron D9 chips." Our high end parts use ONLY Micron D9 ICs.

5. We don't use "bad chips to increase profits". Our Promos based memory meets AND typically exceeds the specifications. They also have a VERY low failure rate and carry our lifetime warranty.

6. 800Mhz CL5 is worthless. You wont be able to overclock an inch. Vague again. I guess you realize that, for example, an E6600 at 400mhz FSB 1:1 is 3.6ghz. CL5 memory is fine for people who want a mild OC and don't want to pay for D9s. There's also the availability factor.

So, feel free to offer your opinions but, try to stick with facts. Also, please don't tell lies about my fellow employees.
May 11, 2007 6:23:04 PM

Quote:
Your posts are odd and hard to follow. Perhaps you should reread the thread before replying. You are being vague yet repetitious all at the same time.

Actually i think the same thing about u. I keep making my point and u keep replying to it as if u hadnt read it. But please, lets continue this discussion without pointless blame. I was a big fan of Corsair before i realized that they dont use Micron D9. I base my entire life on fact, and am not here to try and ruin ur reputation.

Quote:

1. I know the only other Corsair rep that posts at [H] and he did NOT tell you that we don't have memory to compete with other companies. In fact, many of the companies you mentioned don't have Micron based memory to compete with us.

You're not listening to me at all. I JUST stated how much positively he thinks of Corsair. I only infered my opinions from what he said.

And are u kidding me? Corsair is probably the only company that dosent make 6400 Micron D9 memory.

Saying that G.Skill, Crucial and Geil *dont even make* Micron D9 products to compete with urs is beyond insane. Im not sure what to make of it..

Quote:

2. No one in this entire thread said that Promos is faster than Micron.

No, but i wanted to lay to rest the accusations that im somehow being subjective here saying that the Corsair 6400 modules are bad because they arent Micron D9 based. If u believe me, then u will agree that Corsair make inferior 6400 modules to about ever other major company.
Quote:

3. You made the statement that "Corsair dont even use Micron D9, how can u say that they are reliable?? " This is vague and incorrect all at the same time. You are either confused and or trying to confuse others.

Again, its only vague if u dont read the sentence before or after it.. and i can clearly see u havnt been readin my posts.
I was clearly talking about the 6400 modules wich use PROMOS chips. I dont really know how reliable they are, but i was trying to debunk the claim that the Corsair 6400 modules are somehow MORE reliable, wich is crazy.
Quote:

4. Yet another blunder on your part; "Corsair DO NOT make good high-end products, because those products do not use Micron D9 chips." Our high end parts use ONLY Micron D9 ICs.

Its not a blunder if u understand what i mean, and u can do so by reading all my posts.
"High-end" products are DDR2-800/900. You do NOT use Micron D9 chips on these.
"Extreme-end" products are DDR2-1000+ and even though u DO have Micron D9 based extreme-end products, they are far too expensive to compete with Geil and G.Skill.
Quote:

5. We don't use "bad chips to increase profits". Our Promos based memory meets AND typically exceeds the specifications. They also have a VERY low failure rate and carry our lifetime warranty.

Maybe, but they arent as good as Micron D9 and as an overclocker that is important to me. I would have been very sad and angry if i had bought the Dominator 6400 C4 modules because the fact that do not use Micron D9 now is not written anywhere, and they once used to.
Quote:

6. 800Mhz CL5 is worthless. You wont be able to overclock an inch. Vague again. I guess you realize that, for example, an E6600 at 400mhz FSB 1:1 is 3.6ghz. CL5 memory is fine for people who want a mild OC and don't want to pay for D9s. There's also the availability factor.

You are right. Many ppl will find 6400 C5 very worthwhile. But those ppl are not looking to spend 200$ on 2GB of memory. They can find better modules than what u make. Again, i have to make the claim that Corsair make mid-end products for a high-end price.
Quote:

So, feel free to offer your opinions but, try to stick with facts. Also, please don't tell lies about my fellow employees.

Why must u accuse me of everything? I do not tell lies, period. And i have nothing but respect for the highly responsible and respectfull way that ur fellow bearded colleague assisted me and my questions, however accusive they may have been.
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 8:15:09 PM

I see what is going on here. You are still hung up on an OLD TIRED WORN OUT issue about Promos ICs in our Dominator PC6400C4. Get over it.

Quote:
I would have been very sad and angry if i had bought the Dominator 6400 C4 modules because the fact that do not use Micron D9 now is not written anywhere, and they once used to.

Read the IC list I linked above since you seemed to have missed it the first time. And, you use the term "would have" been upset if.... You have apparently never even used our Dominator PC6400 memory so this is all speculation on your part.

See, here you go again, vague and confused. If you type these incorrect statements enough times, someone, even you, might start to believe them.

Quote:
I was a big fan of Corsair before i realized that they dont use Micron D9

Corsair is probably the only company that dosent make 6400 Micron D9 memory.

Try this on for size, Micron guaranteed: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWI...

And, you hit a double with this one, wrong on 2 counts.

Quote:
I was clearly talking about the 6400 modules wich use PROMOS chips. I dont really know how reliable they are, but i was trying to debunk the claim that the Corsair 6400 modules are somehow MORE reliable, wich is crazy.

You did not CLEARLY state anything, you just made a blanket statement about Corsair, you did not specify any particular part. You said "Corsair don't use Micron ...." or some similiar drivel. And, read this thread again. NO ONE made any claims about the reliability of Micron or Promos based memory or which is more reliable. Again, you are making things up, delusional, or just plain lying.

THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE based on your statement below.

Quote:
Ive personally spoken about this issue with a friend of mine who is a Corsair representitive, and i assure u i know what im talking about.

Then you finally admitted this little nugget while contradicting yourself.

Quote:
You're not listening to me at all. I JUST stated how much positively he thinks of Corsair. I only infered my opinions from what he said.

Reading someone's forums posts does not make you a personal friend. Then, you misrepresented the statements which you now claim were only implications from which you inferred an opinion, NOT FACTS. Now, it seems the statements were not even made to you and you most certainly did not have a personal conversation with any of our people.

I usually don't criticize someone for their punctuation on the internet, epecially in forums. But, you are very confusing and all the bad spelling and lack of punctuation makes your vaguaries even worse. Just let it go man, be happy with whatever memory you like to use and stop the lies.
May 11, 2007 8:37:30 PM

Here's an outsider's view:

Quote:

Facts rely on experiments/data. If in dispute, they need to be backed up by these experiments/data. Track doesn't seem to have provided any backup, so I'd consider his statements "opinions".

Quote:
Corsair DO NOT make good high-end products, because those products do not use Micron D9 chips.

Two problems with this statement: 1) Corsair DOES use D9s on at least some of their products. 2) A blanket statement such as "x does not make good high-end products" is by definition an opinion (of course, it can be backed up by facts).

Quote:
Its impossible for a PROMOS chip to be clocked as high as a Micron D9 chips, no matter how much u like Corsair.

Clearly not a fact: a low-binned D9 will certainly under-perform a high-binned PROMOS. A better statement might be something like "Micron D9 chips tend to overclock better than PROMOS chips".

Quote:
... The only problem I have with u is that they use PROMOS chips much more then they use Micron D9 and not even Corsair can make PROMOS chips be as good as Micron D9.

This is a fair opinion.
May 11, 2007 8:51:26 PM

Hello,

I picked up 2 sets of the 6400C4 Corsair. One set from ZipZoom and one from the EGG. Both sets are XMS6404v2.1 which after looking at Corsairs site are Promos chips :( . I don't have a board yet that will push them so can't comment on that.

I will say my picks for Memory are Mushkin Redlines, or the pc8500 which is cheap on Mushkins website. I also like Corsair. Hell if you got the cash go for a 4GIG set. Cheap ones are $219.00. Mushkin rules the 4gig sets.

Good Luck
Mike
May 11, 2007 10:58:00 PM

Look, i claim 2 things currently:

1. Corsair do not make 6400C4 Micron D9 modules.
2. Even if they did, the modules would be priced well above their competitors' offerings

Quote:
I see what is going on here. You are still hung up on an OLD TIRED WORN OUT issue about Promos ICs in our Dominator PC6400C4. Get over it.

I dont care about the 6400C4 having PROMOS. If thats what Corsair wants to do, thats fine. But if they do, they cant also expect ppl to pay 200$ or more for them and they cant expect ppl to buy them instead of 6400C4 Micron D9 modules made by pretty much every other company.

Quote:

Read the IC list I linked above since you seemed to have missed it the first time. And, you use the term "would have" been upset if.... You have apparently never even used our Dominator PC6400 memory so this is all speculation on your part.

Most ppl dont read IC lists. Infact i never would have known that Corsair are using PROMOS for their 6400C4D modules if some guy hadnt pointed out in some forum.

And NO, its not speculation. I talked to Redbeard and he told me that the 6400C4D would not be able to reach 8500C4, wich is my goal. Not to mention ive talked to many ppl who have bought the 6400C4Ds. You see, i read reviews of the 6400C4s from when back when they were using Micron D9 and if i had bought the 6400C4Ds now i would have been angry because i never would have been able to overclock to the same speeds/latencies as those reviewers were able to.

Quote:

See, here you go again, vague and confused. If you type these incorrect statements enough times, someone, even you, might start to believe them.

Vague? No, i said i was talking about the 6400C4Ds and i will again if u want me to.
Confused? Well, i know what Redbeard told me, so take it up with him. I have not speculated past what he told me was fact.
Well, i believe them, thats good enough for me since i base my beliefs on fact.

Quote:

Try this on for size, Micron guaranteed: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWI...

And, you hit a double with this one, wrong on 2 counts.

You're kidding right? Why wont u read my posts?? The points i make could not be more clear.

Sure, that RAM uses Micron D9 chips, but it costs twice as much as it should! I can buy the OCZ 6400C3 modules for 250$. I can buy the Geil for even less.. and u have the nerve to ask me why i wont buy these when they cost 400$ or more??

All in all, i was wrong only about Corsair not making Micron D9-based 6400 modules. I was not wrong about the fact that they are a waste of money.

Quote:

You did not CLEARLY state anything, you just made a blanket statement about Corsair, you did not specify any particular part. You said "Corsair don't use Micron ...." or some similiar drivel. And, read this thread again. NO ONE made any claims about the reliability of Micron or Promos based memory or which is more reliable. Again, you are making things up, delusional, or just plain lying.

THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE based on your statement below.

OK, now this has gone too far!
Not only do u accuse me of lying, but u are lying urself!

This is from my earlier post:
Quote:

What? Corsair dont even use Micron D9, how can u say that they are the most reliable??"

So what are u left with with this insinuation? That i did not specify wich Corsair module sucked.. well why dont u give me life for that?

Quote:

Quote:

Then you finally admitted this little nugget while contradicting yourself.

Contradicting myself?
The first quote says that ive spoken with a Corsair rep.
The second says that he says good things about Corsair.

What in gods name are u talking about?

Could it be that the first quote suggests i havnt inferred anything and simply copied his words, while the second dosent?
Well ive inferred very little. He agrees with me that the 6400C4D modules wont overclock to the place i want them to.

Quote:

Reading someone's forums posts does not make you a personal friend. Then, you misrepresented the statements which you now claim were only implications from which you inferred an opinion, NOT FACTS. Now, it seems the statements were not even made to you and you most certainly did not have a personal conversation with any of our people.

The ONLY thing that i claimed is fact is the fact that the 6400C4Ds are inferior to the G.Skill 6400C4 modules because they use PROMOS instead of Micron D9.

Quote:

I usually don't criticize someone for their punctuation on the internet, epecially in forums. But, you are very confusing and all the bad spelling and lack of punctuation makes your vaguaries even worse. Just let it go man, be happy with whatever memory you like to use and stop the lies.

Bad spelling? Maybe on one or two words, i dont claim to know how to spell and i dont get offended by it. Infact my spelling is far better than most other ppl (other than in words i choose to spell wrong like the last one).
Lack of punctuation? Kind of a low blow dont u think? Pretty pathetic if u ask me. What u dont understand is that when ur on the internet as much as I am, u choose to spell incorrectly on purpose.

If u dont understand what im saying, thats ur fault. I answer every paragraph u write individually.
May 11, 2007 11:11:17 PM

Quote:

Facts rely on experiments/data. If in dispute, they need to be backed up by these experiments/data. Track doesn't seem to have provided any backup, so I'd consider his statements "opinions".

You're very right. But the only thing i claim is fact is that Micron D9 is better than PROMOS.

Quote:

Two problems with this statement: 1) Corsair DOES use D9s on at least some of their products. 2) A blanket statement such as "x does not make good high-end products" is by definition an opinion (of course, it can be backed up by facts).

1. Yes, I know they do, that WAS a wrongfull claim, and i have changed it. What i meant was the the 6400C4 line does not use Micron D9.
2. Yes yes, all changed. I did not realize i would be met with such skeptism, wich i always endorse :wink:
If yellowbeard found this to be hatefull or wrong, im sorry for that, it was not my intent, but thankfully this is a free country and i can say whats on my mind and it dosent always have to be 100% right. I doubt anyone would have taken my words in such a literal sense as u depicted them.

Quote:

Clearly not a fact: a low-binned D9 will certainly under-perform a high-binned PROMOS. A better statement might be something like "Micron D9 chips tend to overclock better than PROMOS chips".

Agreed.
Quote:

... The only problem I have with u is that they use PROMOS chips much more then they use Micron D9 and not even Corsair can make PROMOS chips be as good as Micron D9.

This is a fair opinion.

Isnt it fact? Corsair cannot make PROMOS chips overclock as well as Micron D9 chips (at this time). This is fact.
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 11:16:00 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!

OP, you might not want to watch from this point on. We are about to partake in a discussion about how correct grammar and a talent for applying a useful writing technique as well as the proper use of punctuation isn't worth the words that are written with those attrbutes. Or 'atb's' if your keeping score.
May 11, 2007 11:19:16 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I picked up 2 sets of the 6400C4 Corsair. One set from ZipZoom and one from the EGG. Both sets are XMS6404v2.1 which after looking at Corsairs site are Promos chips :( 

Dont worry, their 90ns PROMOS chips arent MUCH worse than current Micron D9 chips.
What happened was Corsair created the 6400C4 at the beggining of 2006 with Micron D9 chips for the soul reason that Micron D9 chips were the only ones that could reach 800Mhz with CAS 4 latency.
As soon as PROMOS chips were able to hit 800Mhz CL4, they quickly swapped the Micron D9 chips for PROMOS ones.

So anything above Rev 2.0 is PROMOS based, but as ive said, thats not too big of a deal. You can still overclock pretty high, and enjoy 800Mhz at CAS 4 latency :wink:
May 11, 2007 11:35:04 PM

Just for the sake of argument here are those nasty Corsair PC6400’s that XMSYellowbeard linked for you.

XMSYellowbeard please disregard the Voltage
It was an accident :oops: 

I overclock and others that are learning to overclock need facts
So in fairness please keep your opinions more factual based.
a b } Memory
May 11, 2007 11:43:38 PM

Badge, thank you for the words of wisdom. It is far beyond time to let this topic rest and get back to the OPs post. I apologize to the OP and the other THG readers for redirecting like I have.

My only defense is that I do not take kindly to people misrepresenting my fellow Corsair employees as was done here. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions about memory and at Corsair we welcome the competition.

bgiltburg, I hope you make the absolute best memory purchase available and that you are perfectly content with your choice. If I can help in any way, please let me know. I'll try to be concise and grammatically correct so as to avoid confusion.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!

OP, you might not want to watch from this point on. We are about to partake in a discussion about how correct grammar and a talent for applying a useful writing technique as well as the proper use of punctuation isn't worth the words that are written with those attrbutes. Or 'atb's' if your keeping score.
May 12, 2007 12:06:10 AM

Here are the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 Twin2X2048-8500C5
I would consider these high end at a not so bad price range.

This was a test done about 6 weeks ago and I run them 24/7 at 1000 Mhz 4 4 4 12 at 2.1 volts after they passed my standards.
May 12, 2007 12:14:53 AM

Track,

I know that they used Micron chips on these before. That is why I bought them. In Texas we call it a "BAIT AND SWITCH". I guess the price should have clued me in.

Had I known that they were not D9, I would have passed on them. I read a review that they were badass. I'm sure they will work fine. Corsair has not failed on me yet.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, I GUESS:( 
May 12, 2007 12:32:18 AM

Could you update us on what are the cheapest chips you sell that have high end D9 chips? It would help us make a better choice.

Thanks
Mike
May 12, 2007 1:33:45 AM

Quote:

My only defense is that I do not take kindly to people misrepresenting my fellow Corsair employees as was done here.

At least he showed more respect..

I write an entire article in reply to your claims, and you dont even read it?

If u run away from the truth or from me, then u dont deserve to be a rep.
May 12, 2007 2:55:51 AM

Quote:
... and i can say whats on my mind and it dosent always have to be 100% right.

True, but to the extent that you are not right, your (online) reputation will suffer.

Quote:
... I doubt anyone would have taken my words in such a literal sense as u depicted them.
The net isn't a normal conversation. :wink: I took them literally. YB took them literally. My bet is that others took them literally, too. After all, the words in a post are all we have to go on.

Quote:

This is a fair opinion.

Isnt it fact? Corsair cannot make PROMOS chips overclock as well as Micron D9 chips (at this time). This is fact.
Yes, your statement about overclocking is a fact, but that's not what you wrote the first time. You wrote "...as good as...", which can mean different things to different people (for example, reliability), and so is an opinion. I think a more careful choice of words would help a lot to prevent these misunderstandings.
May 12, 2007 8:04:46 AM

Quote:

Well, I did find out what I needed, so thanks again, guys.
May 12, 2007 9:01:46 AM

Quote:

I do however think that Corsair make good memory modules. This IS subjective and it IS my opinion and it is also urs. I dont KNOW they u make great products, i only think u do. The only problem I have with u is that they use PROMOS chips much more then they use Micron D9 and not even Corsair can make PROMOS chips be as good as Micron D9.

The person whom i talked to is a Corsair rep. who usually hangs out on the HardForums. He explained to me all about what Corsair is doing, and im not blaming u - uve done nothing wrong. Its just that other companies are doing beter. And dont worry, he loves Corsair just as much, or even more than u do. He depicts quite a vivid and highly positive picture of the alleged inner workings of Corsair.

And ironicly, ive also been talking to an OCZ rep. Originally i saw Corsair and OCZ on the same wave length - making allegedly good products using bad chips to increase profits (he explained it wasnt as bad as it sounds but how much better can it be?)
Anyway, ive found that OCZ make excellent Micron D9 900Mhz CL4 memory, and im tempted to buy it and not the Crucial and G.Skill for the soul reason that it appears to overclock slightly better.

So you spout the 'truth' and you alone are the font of this 'truth'? Can we see some reports / benchmarks to support this 'truth'?

I am pretty sure that XMSYB can provide both of the above.

Patiently waiting for the 'truth'.....

Not that it matters to me, Kingston will work just fine... (sorry XMSYB, I just don't see the need to OC)
May 12, 2007 3:12:55 PM

Quote:
Your on the right TRACK.

WE NEED A NEW FOURM: With latest build info on Mid to High end MEMORY. Guess I'll head over there and start a new one.

My gut tells me Corsair are not the only one's. I wonder if these have D9's?

or

Later all

Dude.. I.. You wont find Micron D9 for that cheap..

I already told u wich are Micron D9 and they cost only 10$ more.
May 13, 2007 9:53:33 PM

Does the PQI turbo DDR2 series use Micron D9. I thought they did. Also worth noting, PQI DDR2 is on of Anand's picks. Just wonder what you think about them.

Thx.
May 14, 2007 7:59:49 PM

Hi

You can purchase F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ. It is micron guaranteed.

Thank you

Denny

GSKILL USA REP

Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:31 AM
To: ustech@gskill.com
Subject: DDR2 6400 2GIG Kit

Hello,

My name is Mike, and I have been using your products for some time. I have read a review on neweggs website that says this product of Gskill uses Micron D9 chips.

My friend just bought Corsair DDR2 6400C4 2gig kit of memory and thought he was getting D9's, but got PROMOS chips insted. I would like to buy a good pair of DDR2 with D9 chips that have

"alot of headroom", oh and that "don't cost alot". Your recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
May 14, 2007 9:17:08 PM

One more question - is there anything to consider when choosing between the Ballistix and G Skill? (Besides the price difference :)  )
May 14, 2007 10:21:15 PM

SInce barely any useful information has been posted here, I thought I would humourise:

Quote:
Quote:
I base my entire life on fact

Ever read Hard Times? Lol.
May 14, 2007 10:34:44 PM

the XMS2 6400C4 is the recommended ram for the ASUS P5N32-E SLI considering how awkward i found that board i wouldnt dream of using anything else( im sure other ram will work without a bother, just an awkward board from my own experience )
May 14, 2007 10:41:04 PM

Gotta speak up for you here Track, this thread has got confusing but essentially what you were saying I think is that Corsair DIMMs use inferior chips to cheaper RAM from other companies. This is 100% correct. The best RAM/price is GSkill HZ or Crucial Ballistix. Yellowbeard jumped on me for saying this in another forum, even though it is 100% accurate. He just can't stand what he perceives to be maligning of Corsair's name, because he works for them. Corsair do make rock solid memory with brilliant compatibility and warranty, it's just that the quality has gone off the boil a bit. That Dominator PC6400 cas4 thing he was telling you to get over should be remebered for what it was and is..... cynical exploitation of consumers. Their high end stuff is good, but vastly overpriced compared to other companies' RAM. Promos chips do OC well, G Skill HK for example, but everyone knows D9 is better.
May 15, 2007 1:29:54 AM

Quote:
I base my entire life on fact

Ever read Hard Times? Lol.

No, whats it about?
May 15, 2007 1:31:19 AM

Quote:
One more question - is there anything to consider when choosing between the Ballistix and G Skill? (Besides the price difference :)  )

Yes, wich sticks will look better in ur PC.
May 15, 2007 1:34:33 AM

Quote:
the XMS2 6400C4 is the recommended ram for the ASUS P5N32-E SLI considering how awkward i found that board i wouldnt dream of using anything else( im sure other ram will work without a bother, just an awkward board from my own experience )

Its only akward because its new. The 680i SLi chipset is only problematic because its new and still has some bugs that needs working out.
All will be fixed with BIOS revision.

Although i got to say that the P5N32-E SLi PLUS motherboard (the one that uses the 650i SLi northbridge chipset) has no problems.

Quote:
Gotta speak up for you here Track, this thread has got confusing but essentially what you were saying I think is that Corsair DIMMs use inferior chips to cheaper RAM from other companies. This is 100% correct. The best RAM/price is GSkill HZ or Crucial Ballistix. Yellowbeard jumped on me for saying this in another forum, even though it is 100% accurate. He just can't stand what he perceives to be maligning of Corsair's name, because he works for them. Corsair do make rock solid memory with brilliant compatibility and warranty, it's just that the quality has gone off the boil a bit. That Dominator PC6400 cas4 thing he was telling you to get over should be remebered for what it was and is..... cynical exploitation of consumers. Their high end stuff is good, but vastly overpriced compared to other companies' RAM. Promos chips do OC well, G Skill HK for example, but everyone knows D9 is better.

Very true, and thnx for the support :wink:

Corsair have two problems - they dont keep up with their competition regarding the quality of the ICs they use wich are rarely Micron D9, and regarding prices, wich are always a lot higher than their competition's.

They try to redeem themselves by saying that they spend a lot of time making sure that their products run the best, and handpick all of the chips, but that just sound like they are wasting their money with high production costs and horrible price/performance ratios.
May 15, 2007 1:43:59 AM

Hi

You can purchase F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ. It is micron guaranteed.

Thank you

Denny

GSKILL USA REP

Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:31 AM
To: ustech@gskill.com
Subject: DDR2 6400 2GIG Kit

Hello,

My name is Mike, and I have been using your products for some time. I have read a review on neweggs website that says this product of Gskill uses Micron D9 chips.

My friend just bought Corsair DDR2 6400C4 2gig kit of memory and thought he was getting D9's, but got PROMOS chips insted. I would like to buy a good pair of DDR2 with D9 chips that have

"alot of headroom", oh and that "don't cost alot". Your recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
May 15, 2007 1:49:31 AM

Why did u post this again?
May 15, 2007 2:14:42 AM

Someone said you could not get D9 Cheap! This is first email from GSkill Rep. So, you can get D9 6400 4-4-4 for $120 for 2gigs without rebate. Wish I would have dug deeper the first time.

Later
!