get more mint users

G

i been wondering how to get more people to use linux mint. mint is a easy to use linux os and is easy for new users. but i still i get people who dont want to change and looking at all the pros out wiegh the cons to switching to linux mint. printers are easy to install in mint. networks just work. no viruses spy ware . and how much wine doors have improved. and the gui is easier to understand. best of all it will run on a machine from the early 90's with out a hitch. so out doing the awesome vista which i have used and loved. im just down talking xp. that has all those problems with viruses and once a port is open in xp nothing you can do. i do give windows credit of making a wonderful os of vista which i think they didnt mess up. i had vista for a year. but i could do so much more using linux mint that i switched. and finding such a great thing i want to get it out to people but i dont want to seem pushy while doing it.

mainly i just get tired of repairing windows systems and getting best buy rejects and other computer shop rejects and fixing problems that window techs have done.one day hoping that mac takes the market just to get rid of the stupid window techs that really cause all the problems in the first place. and mis leading people and instead of doing what they are paid for they become sellers instead of fixers.

there is a reason i dont want linux to get too too big i love not having a virus scanner and hince id rather see mac stay ahead. but still love the few people i like to have the better os linux.

G

:bounce: yes me very thankful but im from the usa and usa not giving the love to bsd ha ha. :D

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hah! The gods didn't give you bsd, the daemons did! *rimshot*

Seriously though, I think one of these days I might decide to try PCBSD or maybe DesktopBSD just for kicks. And if I ever get really bored I might even decide to try out one of the Solaris distributions

-Zorak

Try OpenSolaris. The latest build is very good. If you haven't played with ZFS yet you'll love it. Personally I'd go for straight FreeBSD rather than one of the sanitized versions, but I'm sure that they are all much of a muchness.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Is there a completely do-it-yourself BSD distribution? I am curious because I am a masochi... I mean I like learning about the operating system!

-Zorak

What do you mean by completely do-it-yourself? If you use FreeBSD you can install however much or little you want (once you've installed the base system, which you need to get the thing booted). Everything else can be compiled from ports, much like Gentoo portage. Also from time to time, when there have been enough updates, you recompile everything ("portupgrade -a", "make kernel", and "make world"). I'd say FreeBSD is pretty much like Gentoo from that point of view. I don't know of anything equivalent to Linux From Scratch for BSD.

If you're interested in FreeBSD there's a good book called "Absolute FreeBSD". The edition I've got is a little old now, but I'm sure that there must be a newer one by now. Also the documentation on the FreeBSD site is very good.

If you really want to learn about the OS get hold of "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System". It's a bit long in the tooth (I don't think there's been a newer edition of this one), but is a great description of the innards of a real Unix system.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yeah I was wanting to find out about a gentoo-like DIY BSD, not an LFS-like DIY BSD. See, there is building a house yourself from scratch, and then there is mining the ore to smelt into metal to make the hammer and nails and growing the trees you are going to cut down to make into lumber for your home. Gentoo is the former, LFS is the latter :p

Of course, since I am curious about how OSes are written, I may eventually write one of my own and so at that point I will probably become crazy enough to take the approach outlined above. :D
-Zorak

FreeBSD will suit you fine. Enjoy.

Don't quite agree with your analogy. You're describing writing an OS from scratch. It's a great little project - I've been working off and on for about a year on a 64-bit OS. Another twenty or thirty years and it might be able to do something useful. Just got to write my own C-compiler. ;)

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Actually, I took a class where we got to write a pascal compiler. It was a neat class, and the teacher assured us that pascal is WAY more nicely behaved in terms of its grammar rules which therefore makes it a lot easier to write a parser for (this is as opposed to C). I think i might some day like to write a C compiler though, and actually I will have to do that in order to accomplish my long term goal of designing a complete personal computing system. Of course, my goal will probably not be attainable by next thursday, so I have decided to make it "due" before I die. :)

-Zorak

A Pascal compiler is relatively simple. There are many good books on the subject. Unfortunately Pascal is not a particularly good language for writing system programs, even less so an OS itself.

Your ambition, and mine, is a great one. I doubt that either of us will ever achieve it fully, but it's great fun trying - and computers are all about fun as far as I'm concerned.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
i been wondering how to get more people to use linux mint. mint is a easy to use linux os and is easy for new users. but i still i get people who dont want to change and looking at all the pros out wiegh the cons to switching to linux mint. printers are easy to install in mint. networks just work. no viruses spy ware . and how much wine doors have improved. and the gui is easier to understand. best of all it will run on a machine from the early 90's with out a hitch. so out doing the awesome vista which i have used and loved. im just down talking xp. that has all those problems with viruses and once a port is open in xp nothing you can do. i do give windows credit of making a wonderful os of vista which i think they didnt mess up. i had vista for a year. but i could do so much more using linux mint that i switched. and finding such a great thing i want to get it out to people but i dont want to seem pushy while doing it.

mainly i just get tired of repairing windows systems and getting best buy rejects and other computer shop rejects and fixing problems that window techs have done.one day hoping that mac takes the market just to get rid of the stupid window techs that really cause all the problems in the first place. and mis leading people and instead of doing what they are paid for they become sellers instead of fixers.

there is a reason i dont want linux to get too too big i love not having a virus scanner and hince id rather see mac stay ahead. but still love the few people i like to have the better os linux.
Well one could argue the same about ubuntu, openSuSE, Fedora, Mandriva, or many other OSes. Also I doubt Linux Mint works well on a 386SX with 8meg's of RAM and a 800Mb HDD.

linux_0

Splendid
You can still run Linux on a 486 but you need as much RAM as you can get ( 128MB and up )

uClinux will run on low end systems but RAM is still key, you usually need at least 32MB, ideally a lot more.

Desktop distributions usually require at least 256MB, the more the better.

:)