Tech help

flavorice

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I just built my new desktop this past Saturday, and was working perfectly fine. Until tonight, Wednesday night I come home and turn it on and it takes about 20 minutes to boot through windows. and when it does, and I log on everything is extremely slow, and takes about 3-5 minutes to open properties. It was basically unmanageable I am completely lost as to why it is doing this anyone have ideas?

Oh and what I built was a eVga 680i SLI nForce motherboard, with a intel core2 Duo 2.33ghz, nVidia 8600 GTS XFX 256 video card, 2 GIGs of corsair twinx ram, and I have two hdd's.

zetabytew

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi - maybe you can try one of these:

> Reset BIOS;
> Try to boot Windows with "last settings" (F8 on boot);
> Install Windows on another drive;

flavorice

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
You wouldn't think it could be the PSU would you, cause I currently have a 500w Antec and have had it for about 6-8 months.

(Edit) By the way I reset the BIOS and loaded default settings and everything booted up perfectly fine! Thank you for the info, but what do you think about the PSU?

zetabytew

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi - nice your system works now. About the PSU, i think its ok, since your system is working (if was overload, the motherboard does not even boots, because low voltages of the psu output). The problem probably was related with memory clock/voltages or cpu configuration. You can use some utilities to check the configurations, like CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and Sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/).

riser

Illustrious
Newer systems really don't need to be over clocked and can tend to cause problems.

Initial thoughts would be the Hard Drive having the jumpers set incorrectly, or a second HDD being installed.
Or
Over clocking.

When using the "Use Last known good configuration" -that is only good the next reboot before loading into Windows. The registry part referred to is rebuilt at successful log in to Windows - at that point, Last Known Good Config is worthless.

I'm guessing Hard Drive or Over Clocking at this point. I've never had good luck with Antec PSUs - I've had 3 and all 3 have blown within 2-3 months of having them. Though, this was about 3 years ago being the last time I used them.