Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Specs of my laptop
Intel Core Duo T2400 / 5 Mb Cache / 1.83 GHz / 667 MHZ FSB
120 Gb 5400 rpm Sata Hard Drive
1 Gb DDR2 SDRAM / 553 MHZ
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 Mb
Windows Vista

I use my main rig for everything from gaming to checking email. But when I play games or use my PS3 I use my laptop to check out sites in between rounds and such.

Vista has been running like **** lately on it and I really dont want to install vista again on it.

I did a dual boot before with Ubuntu but I couldnt get the wireless to work. I really know next to nothing when it comes to Linux.

I really just want something lean and fast to check email and other sites.

linux_0

Splendid
Try Fedora 10 x86_64 or Ubuntu desktop amd64.

Ubuntu 8.10 desktop amd64 ( x86_64 ) or Fedora 10 x86_64 should be able to recognize most of your hardware, both have Live CD versions if you don't want to install on your hard drive, although the hard drive install is faster and you can permanently install stuff to it.

Between the two Fedora usually has better device support than Ubuntu. Most of the time if your hardware isn't recognized by the latest Fedora, try the latest Ubuntu and vice versa.

Ubuntu has slightly better wireless support. If mad-wifi doesn't work try NDISwrapper which lets you use the windows wireless driver under Linux.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Good luck :)

gbh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Thank you

If I can get the wireless to work, Linux will be on that laptop forever. Thats the ONLY thing I really need. If I have problems Ill surely come back.

gbh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Got the wireless to work great :)

Now i just wanna try some tweaks to make it quick and snappy. The only thing this laptop is gonna do is be on firefox and pigdin

Any suggestions for tweaks are welcome

For a faster feel on old hardware a lighter window manager might well help. Depends just how hardcore you want to be. Do you really need to free up disk or do you just want faster response?

gbh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Just faster response

Disk space is not an issue. I dont save any big files or any files at all really

My laptop sits next to me as i play PS3 or on my PC and in between rounds i surf the web and talk on pigdin lol

gbh

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I found a few things online about clearing out unused or incomplete packages to clean up some disk space and other than that ubuntu is running great on it.

Im loving linux right now. The way programs are added are awseome. Its much faster than vista and for what I need it to do its great. Open office is bad ass. Ive never bought MS word but now my sister has something to use when she needs to write a report or something.