Looking for free media Server Os

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I just got a ps3 and i was looking for a Free Media Server Os right out of the box installation on a old computer like 350mhz or more but that will depend. I know i could install a linux os and media server but i am not too familiar with those os and i just wanted to know if there a os designed only for media server. Thank you. i almost tried to search google but haven't found one.

I suspect that MythTV might fit your needs. There are a number of pre built live versions that you can try and then install if you wish. Mythbuntu is a good option, building on the ever popular Ubuntu, alternatively you could look at something like Knopmyth which is based on Knopix. There are plenty of other distributions out there but I'll let others recommend their favourites.

And if you really want to have some fun you can of course run Linux on your PS3!

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Ive already have freenas installed on the pc and i just figure out there was a media server service but doesn't seem to work , my ps3 sometime see the server ( but not all the time ) and when he does see it it doesn't show the movie in it. Maybe somewhere i miss a configuration but i don't think so.

I've not played with PS3 and the media streaming I'm afraid so a little blind here. Do you just try to browse to a network share on the FreeNAS box and then try to play the file? Is this over a wired or a wireless connection? Also are you just sharing the files as you would for a standard Windows client? Do you have any other PC's and can they access the NAS ok?

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
File sharing is fine for any of my windows client from my nas but i just can't see any media server service from any comp and from ps3

linux_0

Splendid
Yes wireless can cause problems. Also windows file and printer sharing can be quite buggy.

In fact samba usually works better than the windows implementation.

Wire everything up, make sure all the machines can ping each other and check your firewalls.

Good luck :)