Why 2 SLI connectors on each 8800gtx but only 1 SLI bridge?

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Why does each 8800gtx have 2 sli connectors but uses only 1 SLI bridge?

14-122-017-05.jpg

gtx-sli-connectors.jpg

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
How many cards do you need to make SLi work?

Multiply that by the number of bridges and you have your answer.

Isn't math wonderful? 8)

That dosent really answer his question fully.

Hes asking why there are 2 SLi connectors, and thats for future Quad-SLi setups.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Isn't math wonderful? 8)

Hes asking why there are 2 SLi connectors, and thats for future Quad-SLi setups.

Yup... So until they come up with a mobo that will do it, in the mean time you can use any of the two and you will be fine.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Isn't math wonderful? 8)

Two connectors minus one bridge still equals one empty connector.

The new ati cards also have two connectors. My understanding is that they are leaving the door open for three card setups with physics as part of the whole deal. I don't believe that was ever confirmed by Nvidia but is what was speculated by a lot of reviewers back when the cards were released. Currently there are motherboards that will support three pci-e x16 slots but banking on future standards is not a safe bet.

Isn't math wonderful? 8)

Sure it does, do the math eight ways from sunday you still end up with the required number of connectors and bridges, for the required cards.

He didn't mention quad setups, you assume that's why he's asking, but you do the math 3 cards still only get connected across that centre point so only 2 normal sized bridges, and then a mega bridge 'if required' which is likely not needed. 4 cards in quad SLi you connect 1+1+1 = 3 bridges and then maybe a Mega bridge if required. Now even SLi + SLi with 4 cards means 2 bridges and 2 bridges, which you would have from buying the 4 cards.

I don't see how my answer didn't cover all possible combinations.

The only thing missing would be some mega-SLi-bridge the length of an SATA cable, and that would likely be recommended or provided for by the MoBo maker.

Perhaps you have some other configuration I haven't covered that shows a different need?

Two connectors minus one bridge still equals one empty connector.

Well see you still only need 1 connector per card, and Ati provides the connecotrs originally only in the Xfire cards, now they include 1 with all cards, and realy that's the equation that works.

Now if for nV they are only supplied at the MoBo level then it's whatever they supply, but if one bridge comes with each card, then you have the right amount. Because buying 2 cards gives you 2 bridges. From the MoBo side, the 1 single bridge works for single SLi, but for multiple SLi the combinations I listed above show that even with 3-4 cards.

The new ati cards also have two connectors. My understanding is that they are leaving the door open for three card setups with physics as part of the whole deal. I don't believe that was ever confirmed by Nvidia but is what was speculated by a lot of reviewers back when the cards were released.

A-synchronous SLi was confirmed for nV, not as an current app but a future option, as it was for ATi as well.

Currently there are motherboards that will support three pci-e x16 slots but banking on future standards is not a safe bet.

There are even MoBos with 4 PEG slots (not all running at 16X though), but really it's only limited by the lanes.

The next options from both AMD and nV should have enough for 3 x 16X at full throughput and even 4 x 16x connectors at 16+16+8+8.

But until there is better driver support from oth AMD and nV there's no point in moving beyond the easy to implement dual card SLi/Xfire solutions.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

He asked why there 4 connectors but only 2 bridges.

You say that u only need 2 cards for SLi, wich is completely irellevent.

He knows what SLi is, but hes asking why there are more connectors than bridges or cards or PCIe interfaces.

He asked why there 4 connectors but only 2 bridges.

You say that u only need 2 cards for SLi, wich is completely irellevent.

He knows what SLi is, but hes asking why there are more connectors than bridges or cards or PCIe interfaces.

So I'll ask you this question.... how do you connect 4 connectors together, regardless of configuration, think about my answers and you'll see it doesn't change the requirements.

When I get home I can draw you a picture if you still don't understand how they connect.

If you get 1 connector with each card, you have enough for any combination, the only issue become the length of the final bridge if you need a closed loop, which there is no indication that that is required.

Try it on paper to visualize it.

I've already thought about this long, LONG time ago when we talked about the Gigabyte quad slot boards and the restrictions in the GF7800 SLi configuration in connector and on chip.

Anywhoo, now that the game is over and I have time; here's a quick look at what I mean;

slibridgepuzzlecy5.jpg