Brief questions regarding overclocking CPUs

Madhatter4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
So Ive read quite a bit about overclocking a CPU and have three basic questions. First, Are you only able to overclock your CPU with specific motherboards? Second if you successfully overclock your CPU do you risk frying it by doing so? Last I realize you cant use stock CPU coolers for overclocked CPUs but where can I find a list of CPU coolers/heatsinks that minimize the stress put on a overclocked CPU.

Thanks

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
1) No, most mobos will work, some are just better then others.

2) Not really, as long as the voltage isnt insanly high and you have proper cooling an oc'ed cpu will last just as long as one running at stock speeds.

3) Just ask us! What's your budget for the hsf and what kind of cpu do you have?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So Ive read quite a bit about overclocking a CPU and have three basic questions. First, Are you only able to overclock your CPU with specific motherboards? Second if you successfully overclock your CPU do you risk frying it by doing so? Last I realize you cant use stock CPU coolers for overclocked CPUs but where can I find a list of CPU coolers/heatsinks that minimize the stress put on a overclocked CPU.

Thanks
Just to "add" to what apt403 said, you don't have to get an aftermarket HS/F to overclock(depending on the cpu, of course). If you are just going for a "modest" overclock, many times the stock HS/F is sufficient...unless you start raising voltages(which you don't sound like you would). On the other hand though...you can never(within reason) cool your components too much. GL :)