tonting

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
My friend lend me his laptop to remove viruses/spyware etc

I did removed most of the viruses but there is one virus that I cannot remove. The only solution that I can is an OS reinstallation but there is no software restore program that comes with the laptop and no win xp CD.

my proposed method:
download a win xp home edition and use the serial key that comes with sticker on the laptop

is this method legal? will it work? can it download ms update?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
No, there is no legal way to download copy of XP. If the laptop has a legal copy of XP it should have been supplied with a way of reloading the OS. Either a hidden partition with the install files, or a recovery CD. Check manufacturers website.

Mike.

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Dell pcs say thay have system restore but seem to not have it (bad dell)

Any XP home disk will reload windows and should be legal no matter where it comes from

and as i read you last post your Frends recovey disk will only work on His model laptop unless yours is the same or will not work (should just give an error thats all) unless its an Norm XP home disk then it install

if the PC has an recovery part on it norm you can get to it by pressing F12 or F10 on boot up

G

No, to get to the Recovery partition on a Dell, you hit Ctrl F11 after the BIOS splash screen.

Grumpy

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
ant that just the built in system diag tool only ?

i tryed pressing all of them in the past only ever got the system diag tools

i look more into it next time just i have Never seen system Recovery partition option on an dell but i do see the Recovery partition when i go and reload windows usieng an xp disk (just never been sure how you get there as dell give no info on this)

G

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=DC47E7957E35BBC0E030A68F27280D16&doclang=en&cs=

Step 4

Grumpy

riser

Illustrious
You can install the Recovery Console directly from the Windows CD, or you can use the CD to access it.

In Dell's case, they already installed it on the computer for ease of use since you don't actually get the Windows CD per se.

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
why don't thay Display the option or even on the paper disk that says you have restore buit into the pc but does not say how to use it

that info on how to start the recovery should be on the paper disk you get (as i been formatting and reloading dells for years with out useing that Dell hdd system restore)

riser

Illustrious
Originalyl they sent you the CDs and one CD had documentation on it. That's where it was.
Then they started sending a piece of thick paper saying that CDs were no longer needed as its on the computer now.

Its all documented - just not right in front of you. Go out to their website and actually read up on the system and you'll see where it tells you.

Then again, they also want you to buy the extended support so you don't have to deal with it, they make extra money, and life goes on. Marketing.

TRENDING THREADS