Windows 2008 Permissions issue

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Hello. I recently setup a Windows 2008 domain server and have all users entered into active directory. There is a group folder that is shared out and sub folders are restricted depending on permission of user.

There is one folder that has read-only permission to most users and the purpose is they can copy a generic form out of this and place it into a specific folder and make changes. The issue is that the permission originally on the file goes with the copy into the new folder. Users don't have the ability to change the security settings on the files.

Is there a way to change this so the folder permission on the destination allows the user to make changes to the copied file?

Thank you for your help.

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Apparently when the read-only is unchecked in properties, it seems to remove it but keeps that attribute in place. The next time properties is opened, read-only is enabled again.

saran008

Distinguished
You will need to have Full control of the file in order to change the attributes.
To get that please follow these instructions

1)Right Click on the file
2.)Then click on security-> click on advanced ->click on Owner(Select your login a/c)
->then click ok --> after that you will again see "advanced tab-> click it and selet the permission->then click on add ->Enter "users "in the object name -> click ok ->now apply -> and Now you can uncheck or check "Read-Only".

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I think I found a work around. I asked then to simply copy the file from the folder and paste it into the desired folder instead of opening the file and doing a "save as". Seems to be working for them. It's actually a better solution too as this will have better security and ensure none of the original files are changed by accident.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your help.