Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I just recently purchased a DEll Vostro 1500 and here are its specks
Windows Vista Ultimate
160GB 54,000RPM SATA HDD
2GB DDR2 RAM 667
Intel C2D T7500 2.2GHz
NVIDIA 8600GT

The notebook has a SD card slot on the right side and I was wondering it it is possible to use Vistas Ready Boost feature with the SD card instead of a normal Jump Drive. What I would like to do if it is possible is purchase a 2 GB SD card (hopefully with fast transfer speeds) and configure it as a ready boost feature. Please let me know if it is possible or if there is a better way with hardware to boost up vistas loading time. Thanks for the help.

tvh

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Ok, I've read that it is possible, but now I am wondering what would be good to use for the SD slot. I would like to have atleast 2GB but I would like to have 4GB (Might be overkill, but I chose 4 because that is the maximum amount of Virtual memory that a computer can use if I am not mistaken). Let me know your thoughts. Thank you

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
It's easy to use Windows ReadyBoost. When a removable memory device such as a USB flash drive or a secure digital (SD) memory card is first inserted into a port, Windows Vista checks to see if its performance is fast enough to work with Windows ReadyBoost. If so, you are asked if you want to use this device to speed up system performance. You can choose to allocate part of a USB drive's memory to speed up performance and use the remainder to store files.

Note: At least 1Mb of flash memory for every GB of ram. This is the ratio that I have ran across.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
I will add this, maximum that can be used is 4GB I believe, any card will do (CF, SD, ...).

Make sure the card is very fast else will be rejected by Vista. I am not sure but I think it should be at least 100X???

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
The only thing with windows ready boost is you will not notice that much of a difference with the amount of RAM you have, 2 gig is more then plently for the moment and the main function ready boost flash drives do is increase the speed of which paging and indexing files are found it may not neccesarily give you that boost in applications.

Where as if you say had 512mb RAM running home basic and then accuired a 1gig ready boost drive you would notice the difference

Overall you can get them for like under £10 by all means get one and have a go, i mean at the end of the day anything that takes the strain off any component is a bonus :)

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Other things you could try could is to edit start up {run/msconfig} programs and take away irrelevant processes that are using system performance,

Defrag? when worst comes to worst defrag?

TRENDING THREADS