Going crazy with Tri boot attempt

mrmraye

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I am unsure of why the Ubuntu installation is not an option when the computer boots up. I see windows vista and windows 7 as options but the installation of ubuntu does not show. Steps I took where:

1. Installed ubuntu on 75GB partition of 150 GB Raptor.

2. Grub was installed along with Ubuntu on the hard drive. No configuration was done.

3. Installed windows 7 on the other 75 GB partition

4. Installed Windows Vista on 75 GB partition of a 400 GB HD

When I turn on the computer, the GRUB menu does not load and it goes directly to the windows boot manager which gives me the two options stated previously. I am sure it something simple that I am missing. I am at a lost here.

linux_0

Splendid
You should always install windows first and Linux last because windows always blows away GRUB - quite arrogantly and without any warning.

Boot from the Ubuntu CD, open a terminal, verify windows did not destroy your Ubuntu partitions then run

Code:
sudo su -

/sbin/grub-install --recheck --no-floppy /dev/sda

Good luck :)

It is possible to install Windows first and still retain your Grub setup - but you need to save your MBR and then reinstate it after installation. Alternatively, install Grub in a partition, rather than the MBR - then you just need to change the active partition back to the Grub one.

(It would have been a little inconvenient if I had had to reinstall XP64, W2000, Fedora, and Gentoo just to get Windows 7 onto my PC.)

mrmraye

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Ok, I did what linux_0 stated and it did not find anything. So I reinstalled ubuntu with Grub and the grub loader loads. Ubuntu is fine however now when I try to go to either "windows vista/longhorn loader" or "other operating system" I receive "error 22 no such partition" and "error 11: unrecognized device string". Once I get back to the house, I will post what my menu.lst looks like as well as the partitions where each OS is stored. I know I am just not doing something correct.