Booting into Ubuntu

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hi there,

I've got a problem, with my Ubuntu operating system. I've installed it on a second hard drive. The first master hard drive contains vista. I can dual boot into either of them. Now the first time i used Ubuntu, it was perfect then it advised me to install NVIDIA 177. .... drivers. I installed them and still the OS worked perfectly. After restarting my computer ,i tried to boot into Ubuntu once again, but for some resaon i get a black screen with a pointer with some writing saying that some things are ok :??: . So in other words i can't get past the orange rolling bar when Ubuntu boots. Not only that, but i'm forced to press alt+ctrl+F1 to login into tty1.?????!!!!! i boot into it and i can do basic commands. But i can't get out that black screen with the blinker. :( I tried alt+ctrl+F7, but that takes me to a completely black screen with a blinkir in the top left corner. i believe this is called Root mode??? :??:
How do i exit this and use Ubuntu normally? without having this black screen. And finally why are my GPU fans running at 100% in linux?

I have a UBUNTU 8.10 version.

Thansk, any help will be appreciated.

linux_0

Splendid
alt+ctrl+F1

sudo su -

cd /var/log

check /var/log/messages and the Xorg logs for errors or warnings.

You can use "less", "more" or cat to view the logs.

For example "less /var/log/messages".

Inside "less" hit "h" for help.

q is quit

space is next page

Good luck :)

linux_0

Splendid
You can also "apt-get remove package" where "package" is the nvidia driver and then install it again, install the one from nvidia.com by hand or "apt-get install" the open nvidia driver so you can at least use your system.

Symeon

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
i would recommend installing the drivers from nvidia.com, download it first

ctrl-alt-F1

go to where you downloaded the nvidia driver

sudo killall gdm
sudo sh NVIDIA-anymumber-after-this (or use the Tab key to autocomplete)
in the installation screen, compile for new kernel and run the nvidia-xconfig
when installation done: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

it should bring the gui up again and you should have the nvidia panel somewhere in the menu so you can set the resolution and press the button to add it to config

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
That's the problem, it doesn't allow me to to bulid a kernal when installing the driver.. Somehting like unable to ...Bla blah kernal.
Which ever driver i install it messes up, I got a 9600gt. Shall iinstall it manually and through synaptic device manager?

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I'm going to try what you said tomorrow, because i've already formatted my HD 4 times in 2 days, and it's quite time consuming.

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Added support for the following GPUs:
GeForce GTX 295
GeForce GTX 285
Quadro FX 2700M
GeForce 9400M G
GeForce 9400M
GeForce 9800 GT
GeForce 8200M G
GeForce Go 7700
GeForce 9800M GTX
GeForce 9800M GT
GeForce 9800M GS
GeForce 9500 GT
GeForce 9700M GT
GeForce 9650M GT
GeForce 9500 GT

in that list i cant see a 9600gt.

Because those are the additional cards that the new driver now supports. The old driver already supported the 9600GT.

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Ok thanks alot everyone.
I have another problem now. After using the terminal to compile c programs everything compiled well until i made programs with getChar and getInt. Why doesn't my compiler recognise these commands? Am i missing something?

linux_0

Splendid
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int getchar(void);

Everything is case sensitive.

Code:
man getchar

for more info.

I haven't coded in ages but I don't remember a getint() function in ANSI C. There is one for TCL.

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
thanks alot dude. the problem was that i didnt have the header file, which i was using in studies. I've got it now. Thanks.
is there msn for ubuntu?

linux_0

Splendid
msn blows chunks :lol: but yea :)

Install pidgin, it supports practically every kind of im there is.

Code:
sudo su -
apt-get install pidgin

Or go to Add/Remove Software and search for it.

GL :)

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
OK , i got a new problem! I get this error before after the ubuntu loading screen.

ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk does not exist DROPPING INTO A SHELL!

initramfs:

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!??

please someone help me, i'm a newbie with these random problems that ubuntu comes up with.

THANKS in advance...

linux_0

Splendid
I think ubuntu is saying it cannot find /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk which is the virtual disk wubi created on your windows drive.

Wubi is bad, I'd suggest backing up your windows and doing a full native install either by shrinking your windows drive or by installing on a 2nd HDD.

David Gill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I installed Ubuntu on a second HD. So how did it get on to windows? Windows works perfectly.
This is the error message i recieve:

ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk Dropping into a shell!

I hear that this problem can arise when windows shutsdown unexpectedly.

What is a wubi???

linux_0

Splendid
It sounds like your virtual disk was damaged or corrupted. :(

How are your drives partitioned?

It's way better to do a native install of Ubuntu on a real disk, but make sure you backup your data first or use an empty hard drive.

A native install is less vulnerable.

GL :)

TRENDING THREADS