Your question

Booting into Ubuntu

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Ubuntu
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 30, 2009 8:13:10 AM

Hi there,

I've got a problem, with my Ubuntu operating system. I've installed it on a second hard drive. The first master hard drive contains vista. I can dual boot into either of them. Now the first time i used Ubuntu, it was perfect then it advised me to install NVIDIA 177. .... drivers. I installed them and still the OS worked perfectly. After restarting my computer ,i tried to boot into Ubuntu once again, but for some resaon i get a black screen with a pointer with some writing saying that some things are ok :??:  . So in other words i can't get past the orange rolling bar when Ubuntu boots. Not only that, but i'm forced to press alt+ctrl+F1 to login into tty1.?????!!!!! i boot into it and i can do basic commands. But i can't get out that black screen with the blinker. :(  I tried alt+ctrl+F7, but that takes me to a completely black screen with a blinkir in the top left corner. i believe this is called Root mode??? :??: 
How do i exit this and use Ubuntu normally? without having this black screen. And finally why are my GPU fans running at 100% in linux?

I have a UBUNTU 8.10 version.

Thansk, any help will be appreciated.

More about : booting ubuntu

January 30, 2009 7:57:59 PM

alt+ctrl+F1

sudo su -

cd /var/log

check /var/log/messages and the Xorg logs for errors or warnings.

You can use "less", "more" or cat to view the logs.

For example "less /var/log/messages".

Inside "less" hit "h" for help.

q is quit

space is next page

Good luck :) 
January 30, 2009 9:18:08 PM

You can also "apt-get remove package" where "package" is the nvidia driver and then install it again, install the one from nvidia.com by hand or "apt-get install" the open nvidia driver so you can at least use your system.

Related resources
January 31, 2009 5:17:07 AM

i would recommend installing the drivers from nvidia.com, download it first

ctrl-alt-F1

go to where you downloaded the nvidia driver

sudo killall gdm
sudo sh NVIDIA-anymumber-after-this (or use the Tab key to autocomplete)
in the installation screen, compile for new kernel and run the nvidia-xconfig
when installation done: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

it should bring the gui up again and you should have the nvidia panel somewhere in the menu so you can set the resolution and press the button to add it to config
January 31, 2009 8:14:22 AM

That's the problem, it doesn't allow me to to bulid a kernal when installing the driver.. Somehting like unable to ...Bla blah kernal.
Which ever driver i install it messes up, I got a 9600gt. Shall iinstall it manually and through synaptic device manager?
January 31, 2009 8:16:00 AM

I'm going to try what you said tomorrow, because i've already formatted my HD 4 times in 2 days, and it's quite time consuming.
January 31, 2009 9:57:41 AM

What if it's a Intel Q6600 ??? is that a 64 bit processor?
January 31, 2009 9:58:38 AM

Added support for the following GPUs:
GeForce GTX 295
GeForce GTX 285
Quadro FX 2700M
GeForce 9400M G
GeForce 9400M
GeForce 9800 GT
GeForce 8200M G
GeForce Go 7700
GeForce 9800M GTX
GeForce 9800M GT
GeForce 9800M GS
GeForce 9500 GT
GeForce 9700M GT
GeForce 9650M GT
GeForce 9500 GT

in that list i cant see a 9600gt.
January 31, 2009 2:23:14 PM

David Gill said:
What if it's a Intel Q6600 ??? is that a 64 bit processor?

Yes it is.
January 31, 2009 2:28:04 PM

David Gill said:
Added support for the following GPUs:

in that list i cant see a 9600gt.

Because those are the additional cards that the new driver now supports. The old driver already supported the 9600GT.
February 4, 2009 7:39:40 PM

Ok thanks alot everyone.
I have another problem now. After using the terminal to compile c programs everything compiled well until i made programs with getChar and getInt. Why doesn't my compiler recognise these commands? Am i missing something?
February 4, 2009 10:20:31 PM

1. #include <stdio.h>
  3. int getchar(void);

Everything is case sensitive.

1. man getchar

for more info.

I haven't coded in ages but I don't remember a getint() function in ANSI C. There is one for TCL.

February 5, 2009 10:00:11 AM

thanks alot dude. the problem was that i didnt have the header file, which i was using in studies. I've got it now. Thanks.
is there msn for ubuntu?
February 5, 2009 12:18:57 PM

msn blows chunks :lol:  but yea :) 

Install pidgin, it supports practically every kind of im there is.

1. sudo su -
  2. apt-get install pidgin

Or go to Add/Remove Software and search for it.

GL :) 
February 7, 2009 2:47:34 PM

I used to find AMSN worked better for talking to other MSN users, camera support being far better for a start.
February 15, 2009 9:56:05 AM

OK , i got a new problem! I get this error before after the ubuntu loading screen.

ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk does not exist DROPPING INTO A SHELL!

initramfs:

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!??

please someone help me, i'm a newbie with these random problems that ubuntu comes up with.

THANKS in advance...
February 15, 2009 11:17:26 AM

Did you use Wubi from inside windows?
February 15, 2009 11:48:33 AM

I think ubuntu is saying it cannot find /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk which is the virtual disk wubi created on your windows drive.

Wubi is bad, I'd suggest backing up your windows and doing a full native install either by shrinking your windows drive or by installing on a 2nd HDD.

February 15, 2009 4:03:21 PM

I installed Ubuntu on a second HD. So how did it get on to windows? Windows works perfectly.
This is the error message i recieve:

ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk Dropping into a shell!

I hear that this problem can arise when windows shutsdown unexpectedly.

What is a wubi???
February 15, 2009 4:03:52 PM

BTW it's a Ubuntu 8.10
February 16, 2009 10:00:49 AM

YEH thats the one! but it's a 8.10
February 16, 2009 10:29:40 AM

It sounds like your virtual disk was damaged or corrupted. :( 

How are your drives partitioned?

It's way better to do a native install of Ubuntu on a real disk, but make sure you backup your data first or use an empty hard drive.

A native install is less vulnerable.

February 16, 2009 12:19:51 PM

I dont get what that means? whats a native install?
My current ubuntu is installed on a seperate HD, so there are no partitions, and why should their be? My first hard drive is Vista , and my second HD has Ubuntu. What if i reformat the second HD and reinstall ubuntu, will that work?
February 16, 2009 1:15:43 PM

A native install means you're installing Ubuntu using a native Linux partition, instead of using Wubi.

You can repartition your 2nd HDD if you don't need any data from it. All data will be lost.

Pop your ubuntu CD in the drive, set your BIOS to boot from CD, boot up into the live CD and double click "install now" on the desktop.

The process goes like this => http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=669059&...

Select partition manually, make sure you select the correct hard disk and create 2 primary partitions.

1st partition PRIMARY ext3 256MB /boot

2nd partition PRIMARY ext3 100GB or more /

3rd partition PRIMARY SWAP 4GB no mount point - swap

Optional 4th partition PRIMARY ext3 if you want to use it with Ubuntu or NTFS if you want to use it with Vista.

Install the GRUB boot loader onto /dev/sda if you want to replace the vista boot loader.

February 19, 2009 1:08:17 PM

I don't think you understand what i want, I've already got vista, and i want to be able to keep vista and install ubuntu alongside it on a seperate HD. The Grub munu is already installed. NOW, do you think i should make a partition of the second HD in order to make sure mu ubuntu files don't collide with vista one OR shall i just install it on the second HD because it acts as a partintion anyway( the HD)?

And say i install it from bios, isn't it the same as installing it within windows? And whats up with those partitions that you recommend ? what do they mean? what are they for? :S
February 19, 2009 1:18:57 PM

OK OK OK , i got what you mean, wubi is bad beacause it dont give you the real thing. ( don't worry i got it). BUT, i want to do a full installation of ubuntu on a seperate HD, and so when installing it ill create a partition. NOW, after installing it will i still be able to boot into my windows vista OS? if yes, HOW?

Waiting patiently.
February 19, 2009 3:18:19 PM

Yes, you should be able to boot vista using GRUB.

GRUB is the Linux bootloader and it allows you to boot multiple operating systems including windows.

Ubuntu should pickup vista during the install process and add it to the GRUB configuration automatically.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/349711051_12e8f41f59...

/boot is for the kernel and GRUB ( 256MB should be enough )

/ is the root partition where everything normally goes like operating system and all user files. You can separate them into smaller pieces but for the sake of simplicity you normally put everything under /. Think of / as being your C:\ drive.

The swap partition is for swap ( virtual memory ).

If you want to use the rest of the drive for Vista then make a 4th partition using NTFS, otherwise you can either make / bigger or you make it a separate /home partition using the rest of the disk space.

If you have data on the 2nd hard drive that you want to keep you need to save it somewhere else.

Make sure you select your 2nd hard drive in the partitioner, otherwise you may accidentally destroy your vista drive.

Always backup your data before you partition. If you're worried you may break vista you can unplug your vista drive and then configure GRUB manually.

February 20, 2009 5:35:03 PM

Ok i did it. But i had problems booting into vista, but it got sorted after it repaired itself. Now should i install all drivers for like graphics cards and everything again? And are both of mydrives tottaly independaent now? because i can no longer see the ubuntu HD on on vista anymore when i click on my computer. And is their a program which will allw me to control my fan speed? And i need help installing flash, i know that i need the linux version but inside that theirs so many version which one? tar.gz? or ubuntu8.04+ deb???? Which one?

Thanks in advance
February 20, 2009 7:29:52 PM

yes now they both seem to boot. When in the menu to choose which os i wan to boot into does the order signify anything? is kernel on top of windows loghorn for a particular reason or is it just like that?
February 20, 2009 7:42:47 PM

By default linux is on top. It is best to leave it as is.

If you want to change the default operating system, make a backup of /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the default=0 to whatever you want.

The count starts at 0. If you have 3 entries for Linux and then 1 for vista, then vista is 3, and linux 0, 1 and 2.

1. cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
  3. gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

February 21, 2009 8:52:25 AM

OK thanks, Now, is their away to reduce my GPU's fan speed in linux? Furthermore, i don't know how to install programs in linux, is there a command? Ummm, i installed nvidia 180.22 drivers. But after installing NVclock i can't run it. i get an error message: Something like: "cannot launch NVclock gtk+" ..... WAHTS THAT?
February 21, 2009 9:56:36 AM

Applications -> Add/Remove Software is the easiest way to install software.

Or

1. sudo su -
  2. apt-get install package

Or

1. sudo su -
  2. dpkg -i package.deb

Make sure your .deb is compatible with ubuntu!

The nvidia control panel might have an option to control the fan speed but this can vary.

What's the full error message you get when you try to launch NVclock?

:) 
February 21, 2009 1:33:16 PM

Failed to execute child process "nvclock_gtk" (No such file or directory)
February 21, 2009 1:34:13 PM

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.
February 21, 2009 1:44:03 PM

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.22-pkg2.run

After this command it gives me this message too when installing the driver which is on my desktop

sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.22-pkg2.run
February 21, 2009 2:08:15 PM

All i want is to have clear instructions on how to install Nvidia 9600GT drivers. it's driving me mad this ubuntu :( 
February 21, 2009 9:19:50 PM

As I posted in another thread, if ubuntu automatically installed the driver for you, then you do not need the official nvidia driver.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

1. /usr/bin/glxinfo -v

glxinfo should show what drivers you're using.

Usually after you install there is a pop-up in the system tray asking you if you want to install the nvidia drivers.

That is a lot easier than doing it manually.

:) 
!