Sign in with
Your question

weird click sound from PC after I over clock CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 10, 2007 10:44:10 PM

I heard a weird click sound from the PC. This sound occur occasionally after I over clocked my single core CPU to 3.32GHz from 3.2GHz.

Could it be the fan slow down / speed up depending on temperature?
May 10, 2007 10:46:30 PM

If your sure it's coming from the cpu the fan is the only this it could be, it's the only thing with moving parts.
May 11, 2007 1:16:24 AM

You probably want to find out exactly where its coming from. Someone in one of my threads suggested that you get a card board tube maybe one from a papertowel roll and put it up to your ear and pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Didn't use this method but I had the same problem. Not sure if it was before or after I OCed but I noticed it within the last few weeks. Didnt bother me until now and it turned out to be a case fan. I replaced the case fan and no more annoying clicking noises.
Related resources
May 11, 2007 9:44:59 AM

Sounds like you might have a cricket in your computer. JK I had this happen long time ago never did find the cricket.
May 12, 2007 8:51:17 AM

Quote:
You probably want to find out exactly where its coming from...

That is the first thing i would do because it could make well come out from your hard disk(s)!
May 12, 2007 7:18:37 PM

the clicking sound isn't from my HD. it came from my 5700 FX Nvidia card. The fan stop momentarily because I over clocked it to 72MHz. sheesh. this card is old.

It is no wonder my PC crash. The graphic card can't handle the higher frequency.
May 12, 2007 7:57:45 PM

Holy crap! Even a 6600 vanilla will own that card, time to upgrade dude. I just replied to your other post and an OC'd video card is what I suspected.

-The String
!