Why 2 cookie folders in XP?

Would someone please explain the XP cookie storage system to me? Why
does XP store cookies in two locations?

There is a cookie folder in C:\\Documents and Settings\Owner in which
the cookies appear to be listed in separate files in alphabetical order.

There is also a list of cookies in Temporary Internet Files that seems
to have the cookies listed in the order in which they were acquired BUT
which also seems to contain cookies ( not files) that do not exist in
the folder in "Docs and Settings".

Is there a difference between these two lists and, if so, what might it
be?

Jim Murphy
4 answers Last reply
More about cookie folders

    no_working_mailbox@webtv.net (Jim Murphy) wrote:

    >Would someone please explain the XP cookie storage system to me? Why
    >does XP store cookies in two locations?
    >
    >There is a cookie folder in C:\\Documents and Settings\Owner in which
    >the cookies appear to be listed in separate files in alphabetical order.
    >
    >There is also a list of cookies in Temporary Internet Files that seems
    >to have the cookies listed in the order in which they were acquired BUT
    >which also seems to contain cookies ( not files) that do not exist in
    >the folder in "Docs and Settings".

    This is by design. Empty the TIF folder to clear all the Cookies.
    Further help with the IE is available from

    --
    (tm)

    Thank you for your reply, but when I click the link in your response, I
    receive a message that the group does not exist.

    Thorsten Matzner wrote:

    "This is by design. Empty the TIF folder to clear all the Cookies.
    Further help with the IE is available from
    "

    Jim Murphy

    Works fine for me.

    "Jim Murphy" <no_working_mailbox@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your reply, but when I click the link in your response, I
    > receive a message that the group does not exist.
    >
    > Thorsten Matzner wrote:
    >
    > "This is by design. Empty the TIF folder to clear all the Cookies.
    > Further help with the IE is available from
    > "
    >
    > Jim Murphy

    Try either of these:

    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser&sloc=en-us

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser&lang=en&cr=US
    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Jim Murphy" <no_working_mailbox@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your reply, but when I click the link in your
    > response, I
    > receive a message that the group does not exist.
    >
    > Thorsten Matzner wrote:
    >
    > "This is by design. Empty the TIF folder to clear all the
    > Cookies.
    > Further help with the IE is available from
    > "
    >
    > Jim Murphy

Cookie Microsoft Windows XP