DOS 6.22 install

Ok, this is definately a vintage computing question! I have an old electronic test system that I need to get running (HP 3048A phase noise test set). I can download the software readily. But it has to run on DOS 6.22. It can not run on any version of windows. If I can get this thing running again, it would save me somewhere around $12,000 bux over buying a new version of the system.

I have various old desktop computers lying around. I was able to power one up with windows ME on it. Is it possible to install DOS 6.22 on such a computer (it is probably a few years more modern than the DOS software)?

I have been searching around but there is not too much info anywhere. One post I found said I would need to have a FAT 16 hard drive (or at least an FAT 16 partition to boot to.

So, I was wondering if I just turned on this windows ME computer with the DOS 6.22 install disk #1 in the floppy, would that take care of it....or is there all sorts of other stuff that is needed to be done first?
10 answers Last reply
More about install
  1. Windows ME has DOS 6.x installed but hidden; just hit F8 and boot to a command prompt.
  2. As I said, the software will not work in ME dos, it has to be dos 6.22. I have the dos disks, but how do you install them on a more modern computer?
  3. Put disk in drive. Boot and follow prompts.

"So, I was wondering if I just turned on this windows ME computer with the DOS 6.22 install disk #1 in the floppy, would that take care of it....or is there all sorts of other stuff that is needed to be done first? "

Why wonder - why on earth don't you just try it and see what happens?
  4. spanz said:
    As I said, the software will not work in ME dos, it has to be dos 6.22. I have the dos disks, but how do you install them on a more modern computer?

But have you tried loading the software? Hitting F8 and booting to a command prompt is different than running a DOS program within Windows inside a DOS prompt.

Also, you should have no problem installing DOS on new hardware, as long as you create a hard drive partition less than 2GB.
  5. Hard drive partition less than 2 gb, I have seen that elsewhere.

I do notice some computers on ebay with windows 3.11 AND dos 6.22. Is it possible to boot up only in DOS with such a computer?

I did not want to drop the floppies in because I was wondering if the drivers for things like the floppy would dissapear when the DOS floppies wiped out the windows ME OS. I guess I will just go for it, and if it is totally screwed up I can buy a DOS PC off of ebay for around $100.
  6. A Windows 3.11 computer always boots up to DOS. Windows is then run from DOS (usually by the autoexec.bat script).
  7. spanz said:
    I did not want to drop the floppies in because I was wondering if the drivers for things like the floppy would dissapear when the DOS floppies wiped out the windows ME OS.

Don't worry about it; DOS 6.x does not need drivers for common floppies or BIOS supported hard drives.
  8. Yep, you were right. I unplugged the extraneous hardware I will not be using (usb board, cd rom, fax/modem, and sound card). Then I just started up the computer with DOS disk #1 in the floppy, and away it went. The first thing it did was reformat the hard disc properly for DOS, so I did not have to worry about that at all.

There is something very satisfying about sliding a floppy into the bay and hearing that age-old click sound!
  9. This is really bringing back (bad) memories! It asked me if I wanted to run Memmaker to free up conventional memory! Back in the day, memory was so scarce, you had to juggle it around to get your programs to work.
  10. Yes, I remember the voodoo of manually freeing up the lower 640k of DOS memory. . .
Ask a new question

Read More

DOS Windows