Sign in with
Your question

DOS 6.22 install

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 15, 2012 3:29:29 PM

Ok, this is definately a vintage computing question! I have an old electronic test system that I need to get running (HP 3048A phase noise test set). I can download the software readily. But it has to run on DOS 6.22. It can not run on any version of windows. If I can get this thing running again, it would save me somewhere around $12,000 bux over buying a new version of the system.

I have various old desktop computers lying around. I was able to power one up with windows ME on it. Is it possible to install DOS 6.22 on such a computer (it is probably a few years more modern than the DOS software)?

I have been searching around but there is not too much info anywhere. One post I found said I would need to have a FAT 16 hard drive (or at least an FAT 16 partition to boot to.

So, I was wondering if I just turned on this windows ME computer with the DOS 6.22 install disk #1 in the floppy, would that take care of it....or is there all sorts of other stuff that is needed to be done first?

More about : dos install

January 15, 2012 7:38:49 PM

Windows ME has DOS 6.x installed but hidden; just hit F8 and boot to a command prompt.
m
l
January 16, 2012 3:43:56 PM

As I said, the software will not work in ME dos, it has to be dos 6.22. I have the dos disks, but how do you install them on a more modern computer?
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2012 3:52:56 PM

Put disk in drive. Boot and follow prompts.

"So, I was wondering if I just turned on this windows ME computer with the DOS 6.22 install disk #1 in the floppy, would that take care of it....or is there all sorts of other stuff that is needed to be done first? "

Why wonder - why on earth don't you just try it and see what happens?
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:57:15 AM

spanz said:
As I said, the software will not work in ME dos, it has to be dos 6.22. I have the dos disks, but how do you install them on a more modern computer?

But have you tried loading the software? Hitting F8 and booting to a command prompt is different than running a DOS program within Windows inside a DOS prompt.

Also, you should have no problem installing DOS on new hardware, as long as you create a hard drive partition less than 2GB.
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:46:49 AM

Hard drive partition less than 2 gb, I have seen that elsewhere.

I do notice some computers on ebay with windows 3.11 AND dos 6.22. Is it possible to boot up only in DOS with such a computer?

I did not want to drop the floppies in because I was wondering if the drivers for things like the floppy would dissapear when the DOS floppies wiped out the windows ME OS. I guess I will just go for it, and if it is totally screwed up I can buy a DOS PC off of ebay for around $100.
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:29:07 AM

A Windows 3.11 computer always boots up to DOS. Windows is then run from DOS (usually by the autoexec.bat script).
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:37:45 PM

spanz said:
I did not want to drop the floppies in because I was wondering if the drivers for things like the floppy would dissapear when the DOS floppies wiped out the windows ME OS.

Don't worry about it; DOS 6.x does not need drivers for common floppies or BIOS supported hard drives.
m
l
January 20, 2012 1:07:31 AM

Yep, you were right. I unplugged the extraneous hardware I will not be using (usb board, cd rom, fax/modem, and sound card). Then I just started up the computer with DOS disk #1 in the floppy, and away it went. The first thing it did was reformat the hard disc properly for DOS, so I did not have to worry about that at all.

There is something very satisfying about sliding a floppy into the bay and hearing that age-old click sound!

m
l
January 20, 2012 1:09:21 AM

This is really bringing back (bad) memories! It asked me if I wanted to run Memmaker to free up conventional memory! Back in the day, memory was so scarce, you had to juggle it around to get your programs to work.
m
l
January 20, 2012 3:50:05 AM

Yes, I remember the voodoo of manually freeing up the lower 640k of DOS memory. . .
m
l
!