Just trying Debian 5.0...

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I'm quite a fan of Debian, so when the new version 5.0 was released last weekend, I just had to give it a try...
As expected with Debian, there were no surprises or problems, everything just works, nothing really new or fancy, just a good stable well tried and tested OS.
Some of the apps (in the default repo's) are looking a bit dated (OpenOffice 2.4 for example), but that isn't a problem, Debian is so well supported there is almost always a .deb package available for download.

Bottom line:
If you want leeding-edge go with something like Ubuntu or Fedora; If you want tried and tested stability Debian is a good choice.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I haven't actually tried Debian yet (other than indirectly through ubuntu), but I think i'd like to some day. I enjoy the appeal it has that nothing but what you explicitly install yourself is installed. Seeing as how I am a big fan of personal choice, this meshes pretty well with me.

I had a pretty good experience with my main tower and Gentoo, and as I understand it, Debian and Gentoo share the DIY philosophy.

Man, if I ever get around to it, there are a lot of different OSes for me to try: Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/Hurd, SkyOS, MenuetOS/Kolibrios, Haiku/BeOS, *BSD, Solaris, &c &c.

It is a lot of work trying all the different systems, but it sure is nice to have choices!

-Zorak