Just built a new PC... now what programs do I need to run?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Orthos, SuperPi, FRAPS, Folding@Home, Firefox, Core Temp, Intel TAT, Skype, GIMP, Joost, WxSand, MAME, Prime95, ect. Not really needed to run, but they're nice to have.

Oh, and no PC is complete unless your dual/tri/quad booting. Install a linux distro or 12.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Think what you want to do with your computer and then get whatever you will use.

I recommend trying out linux. Many of the "mandatory" additional software of windows is either not relevant or bundled with the distribution (you wont need the bulky antivirus software and the firewall is seamlessly integrated into the system). Everything you need is availible for quick download in matter of seconds (if you have quick connection). All this software, even the advanced (like office suite or gimp), is FREE and LEGAL and there are no trial or demo versions or other BS. If you can program (or want to and learn) you have access to the source code and are free to modify and distribute it.
There is also a bunch of quite modern games for linux (the 3D shooters are mostly made on the quake 3 engine and are multiplayer based), It is also possible to run a whole lot of windows games and other programs through a windows layer called wine. Sometimes (or rather most often) this can be tricky though.

Dont get scared of the stories about how difficult it is ... A lot of work has been made to make it easy and graphical. In most cases it poses no problems. And if problems do arrive there is a lot of people out there willing to help and most importantly - a LOT of internet sites with information ready to be harvested (just google).
I recommend ubuntu for a start.

You can start as a dual boot. Then see how your usage will be. Who knows maybe after a while you realize you dont use windows enough to justyfy the space its taking up on the hdd (as I did)...

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Apparently Doom 3, Quake 4, and Unreal Tournament 2004 has been released for linux but they are not free (yet). The quake 3 engine (not the game) is free software.