dlesko

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Hi guys. Is there a way to stop the network connection from disconnecting when the computer goes to sleep? Also, how do i get the computer to do virus scans and other things like that when it is asleep? I have these programs set to go in the middle of the night but because the computer is asleep they dont run. Also, is there a way i can get the mouse and keyboard to wake the computer? and lastly, on an unrelated questions, how do i change the computer name? I sent my system in for repairs and when i got it back they changed the computer name to 111 and that is how it appears on the network now. Thanks guys.

Solution
Mouse/KB wake up is the default behavior. So if your comp doesn't respond to those then someone changed it. You should be able to change it back in your properties menu as well.

And you cannot use sleep mode to do any work at all. If you need to run tasks overnight you should disable Sleep Mode entirely and just shut off your monitor before you go to bed.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
1) Sleep mode: Power Saving Mode - Only current to RAM will be provided but if power failure, Lost. Your computer is not working. You do not have a choice, you must leave your computer awake if you want it to do some tasks. You can change power saving option to shutdown HD (like Laptop) and Monitor to save some power.
2) Mouse or Keyboard wake-up: Not sure...
3) Right-Click "My Computer" - Properties - "Computer Name".
It is "Computer Description" or Click on the "Change...".

Mouse/KB wake up is the default behavior. So if your comp doesn't respond to those then someone changed it. You should be able to change it back in your properties menu as well.

And you cannot use sleep mode to do any work at all. If you need to run tasks overnight you should disable Sleep Mode entirely and just shut off your monitor before you go to bed.

Solution