AMD NDAs the press again!

wickedmonster

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31991/118/

I wonder why AMD even bothered showing the press Barcelona and R600 if they put them under NDA? What was the point of having these shows?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Your a retard, and stop complaining, It'll be lifted soon enough, they just need time to gather them selfs and organize their products, NDA lift is to come some time very soon(this week or Next)

EDIT: :D Glad you noticed it :wink: (I'm not going to Fix it)

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Your a retard, and stop complaining, It'll be lifted soon enough, they just need time to gather them selfs and organize their products, NDA lift is to come some time very soon(this week or Next)

You used your instead of you're. :!: You're the retard. :mrgreen:

G01NTC

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I wonder if these pictures are taken at today's event in SF that suppose to show off Barcy. Can someone clarify/confirm this?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Tom's Rule Number 1

Do not emphasize spelling and/or grammar mistakes in a derogatory manner.

There are too many to's your's, their's, etc in the English language.

rationality

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
The only comments I've seen from reputable reviewers who were in Tunisia/at the demonstration today all indicate that barcelona will be competitive (if not faster) than Intel's offerings.

Only time will tell but I will say that the whole "they put the NDAs in place because performance sucks" line of reasoning is absolutely retarded. If the architecture sucked why on earth would you build up all this hype by putting the NDAs in place - you would be far better off just doing a low key launch.

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
But what's your personal take on amd ndaing the press on this demo too? I certainly hope it's not a complete flop

Hard to call. On the one hand AMD could be playing the "AMD Sucks" card for all its worth. On the other, I'm inclined to agree with AnAnd and TGDaily in that Agena isn't fully fledged yet.

However, any dual socket octo-core rig capable of encoding at 720p or 1080p (depending on which site you quote TGDaily vs. Hardocp) in a speed close to real time is a feat in and of itself. I don't think that any of the C2D's or C2Q's are capable of this.

I take all of this info with a grain of salt. Only the benches will tell, but one thing is for sure.... Agena will be a beast no questions asked!

This is called a big pile of bullshit. Who gives a shit about what AMD did today? I know I don't. If AMD has an ace they wouldn't be hiding it up their sleeve.

Bluffing is good in poker, but not in processors.

AMD BK 2Q 2008 (Joking, but wondering when it will come)

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
News of Barcelona being released @ 2.6-3.2Ghz range(initial) to compete with much higher scaled Penryn(Wolfdale)

Intel: This is Madness!

AMD: Madness ???

Intel: ....

AMD: ....... THIS IS BARCELONA!!!!!!
Sparta.gif

:p Makes me think of 300 Employees of AMD vs Intel's 6.02x 10^23 Employees(mostly because of your name)

English isn't an extremely easy language to learn. There are LOTS of exceptions to the rules- that's why you even see native speakers commonly make mistakes. Some people that make them are just not too bright, but some other mistakes are much more subtle and most people will make them.

However, I'd like to be corrected if I were posting on a non-English board in their native language (better to feel dumb once than make the same mistake over and over) so I think that it's okay to correct, as long as it's not mean-spirited or overly pedantic.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
English isn't an extremely easy language to learn. There are LOTS of exceptions to the rules- that's why you even see native speakers commonly make mistakes. Some people that make them are just not too bright, but some other mistakes are much more subtle and most people will make them.

However, I'd like to be corrected if I were posting on a non-English board in their native language (better to feel dumb once than make the same mistake over and over) so I think that it's okay to correct, as long as it's not mean-spirited or overly pedantic.

Well stated! Personally, I'm always inclined to give greater weight to arguments that are well expressed.

Ludwig Wittgenstein goes further: "What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent” (Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus).

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31991/118/

I wonder why AMD even bothered showing the press Barcelona and R600 if they put them under NDA? What was the point of having these shows?

I think it is time that we all face it, with all these delays and NDA's Barcelona and R600 are not living up to the hype and are gonna flop. Why in the hell would AMD keep doing this but to avoid bad press as long as it can? I had high hope for the next gen stuff but to be honest all that hope is gone. I have lost all faith in AMD to deliver an answer to Intel's Core 2 and Nvidia's 8800's. :evil:
humm I would think otherwise.

I would think both Barcelona and R600 will live up to its hype. However, AMD must need to produce them in volume before they can launch the product. With the hype like this going around, I don't think Hector and Richard are going to risk another paper launch.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I wish I had the confidence that you do. But after all the disappointing delays over the past few months I just can not feel that way anymore. Starting to wonder if I should have spent more money and built around an E4300 instead. :evil:

Well, knowing AMD's history of sensationalism, I think they are trying to build tension and releasing a big surprise --- or, perhaps they just can't get it to yield or perhaps the rumor mill is wrong about B0.... who knows, but considering who important this product is to their future financial health, I doubt we will see anything less the high quality.

Jack

I was reading somewhere that AMD is sitting a ton of K8 parts right now, due to weak demand + overcapacity in 1Q07 (and presumably 2Q07). Could it be that AMD is giving the market time to work off excess inventory before they glut the market with new product?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The only comments I've seen from reputable reviewers who were in Tunisia/at the demonstration today all indicate that barcelona will be competitive (if not faster) than Intel's offerings.

Only time will tell but I will say that the whole "they put the NDAs in place because performance sucks" line of reasoning is absolutely retarded. If the architecture sucked why on earth would you build up all this hype by putting the NDAs in place - you would be far better off just doing a low key launch.
If the architecture was great, why wouldn't you release it? :roll:

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Nice use of pedantic, looked that one up a month ago, awesome word. I mean its a really awesome word that i obsess about and really enjoy alot. (ohh i'm funny arent i?)

Oh, and wtf amd, wheres the love? i'm amd and ati, gimme at least an ounce of a tiny speck of a reason to buy daamit again! If you'd shown your face and lost, at least you'd have respect, sigh...

The_Hanz

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006

Tom's Rule Number 1

Do not emphasize spelling and/or grammar mistakes in a derogatory manner.

There are too many to's your's, their's, etc in the English language.

Master your language. If a native German can do it, no reason why more American or English can't.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
yeah no shiit. They demoed 2 agenas encoding in near real time so what the hell gives? Is it lacking in mobo support,dram compatibility Is there another stepping planned and why, oh god why did they leave us in the k8 desert to thirst(ack ,cough) :?: (sniffle) :lol:
Here you go Verndewd....this will quench your thirst, more than you'll ever know. :tongue: :tongue: :p :p :p hehehe

:D :D

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Master your language. If a native German can do it, no reason why more American or English can't.

Americans don't speak English anyway, I mean they don't even say aluminium correctly.

I say if you can't use it correctly, we'll have it back... you can have Spanish.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007

Americans don't speak English anyway, I mean they don't even say aluminium correctly.

I say if you can't use it correctly, we'll have it back... you can have Spanish.

England and America are two countries separated by a common language.
--George Bernard Shaw

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I wish I had the confidence that you do. But after all the disappointing delays over the past few months I just can not feel that way anymore. Starting to wonder if I should have spent more money and built around an E4300 instead. :evil:

Well, knowing AMD's history of sensationalism, I think they are trying to build tension and releasing a big surprise --- or, perhaps they just can't get it to yield or perhaps the rumor mill is wrong about B0.... who knows, but considering who important this product is to their future financial health, I doubt we will see anything less the high quality.

Jack

I was reading somewhere that AMD is sitting a ton of K8 parts right now, due to weak demand + overcapacity in 1Q07 (and presumably 2Q07). Could it be that AMD is giving the market time to work off excess inventory before they glut the market with new product?

That's a neat idea in that AMD would be preying on the foolish while ramping Barcy to high volumes to meet expected demand. This is kind of the opposite of Intel, where Intel released the great product first, then moved P4 prices down aggressively in order to clear inventory. Unfortunately, AMD is pretty desparate for cash. To withhold product announcements due to ramping would be an incredibly risky path (especially when you're significantly behind technology wise). Regardless of their plan, they are betting the company on Barcy success.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
In addition, folks are often just typing conversationally.

We don't spend time proof-reading all of our posts or even if we see a typo we may not correct it.

Furthermore, some posters may not even be native English speakers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to this thread, I don't think you can really say what all the NDA's and lack of info means.

1) It could be that the stuff blows and they are trying feverishly to fix it before anyone realizes how bad it is.

2) It may be so awesome that it will Rock Intel's World to the core and don't want Intel to know how bad their arse will be whooped until the chips are in full production and heading out the door.

Note: We have seen Intel as the primary copy-cat recently and I'm sure AMD is doing the best to prevent limit Intel's ability to do this now. In the past Intel was slow, arrogant, and too dumb to copy AMD so AMD did not need to be secretive. Now Intel has figured out it needs to get it's tail in gear and is acting like a competitor giving its all. As a result AMD must be more secretive since Intel has the $$$$ to "borrow" and implement tech very rapidly when they so choose.

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Well stated! Personally, I'm always inclined to give greater weight to arguments that are well expressed.

Ludwig Wittgenstein goes further: "What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent” (Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus).

Just for the record, this remark has _absolutely nothing whatsoever_ to do with grammar and spelling, or even expression. Rather, his point is that most of philosophy results in nonsensical statements whereby one tries to express something about the 'form' of sentences as genuine propositions like "The cat is on the mat." His point to philosophers is to stop confusing formal sentences with material propositions: thus, the point is to stop talking nonsense like "Time is infinite" or "Everything is identical with itself".

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I Wants ta know mo' about ebonix. Please, Mr Dewd, could ya tell me mo'? Perhaps ya could inform us how one becomes uh master in da rare art o' speaking ebonix. all ye damn hood ratz...

---
Nobody speaks like they write! That's the whole point. You're supposed, when you write, to eschew conversational style in order to make your point more transparent. The thing is that you don't get the signals, the to-and-fro of conversation in order to establish rapport. In its absence, clarity of expression becomes much more important.

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007

Sir Humphry Davy named the element Aluminum. Others called it Aluminium which became the accepted name in Europe. However, the American Chemical Society debated it in 1925 at which time the original Aluminum was chosen as correct.

Take it for what it's worth. Davy, WAS, by the way, a Brit.

KILL-oh-meter, Kill-AWE-meter, Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

[Edited for a splelink eroor]