nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding + TDR Errors

Starkz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Hi, I actually posted this to the new article request section, but figured I would post it here as well to see if anyone has any ideas. I'm sure its a driver issue, since any hardware or bios tweaks produces no result. But since SP1 won't be out till next year it gives me about another 5 months to F' about with it :)

p.s. this is on Vista 32, running an OC'd Quad with two OC'd 8800's in SLI.

heres the post :

Hi guys, I've been reading Tom's for years, but not until now have I felt that there was an article/feature I'd like to see that you guys hadn't addressed.

Its to do with the TDR Errors in Windows Vista (or "nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding" ). If you do a brief search on line you'll find thousands of forum posts and lists dedicated to this issue.

here are some of the main ones :

Nvidia Forums : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381

NVIDIA Statement on Vista TDR Errors : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php [...] 31913&st=0

OCForums : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=518749

There are literally hundreds of different solutions/fixes/tweaks etc to this problem. yet none of them seem to work globally. It would be great to see the minds behind Tom's have a look at this and see if you can come up with a solution, if any? Plus, I can't imagine you guys arn't already aware of this anyway.

I imagine the fix will come next year with Vista SP1, but if you can work something out before then, well, there's thousands of gamers would cry for joy

Cheers - Alex.

Starkz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
nope. not sure. but then no one seems to be. Some people are claiming its Vista since it doesn't happen nearly as much in XP. Then others say its Nvidia since it doesn't happen nearly as much with ATI cards in Vista.

So seems about 50/50. So I posted it under the Vista General list since I had to pick one. :)

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Don't get me wrong. I didn't being that up because of where you posted it. It's just a lot of problems get blamed on Vista, that isn't really vista's problem. I noticed that you mentioned it being a driver issue, but then also suggested that it would be fixed in SP1. I would guess that if it's a driver issue, then it would be fixed in the next Nvidia release (hopefully)

I don't have a fancy card like everyone else, but I haven't had any problems with my 7800GT.

Starkz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Hey dmroeder, yup, it does seem to be more of an issue with the 8800's. Unfortunatly since the issue first arose nVidia has released about 8 drivers, but none of them fix the problem - if its a Nvidia issue.

Microsoft has also released lots of hotfixes that are supposed to help, but again, none work. Which is why I'm putting alot of faith in SP1.

What I was trying to find out was which - if any - of the voodoo solutions have had any results for people on Tom's. Since I'm assuming that the average Tom's reader is alot more technically adept. I'm having no luck.

Starkz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Hey Scotteq, thanks for that. Not having much luck with them either. It seems that since its such a widespread issue, locking it down to one aspect of the computer - even software or hardware - is pretty hard.

If you have a look at those forums I posted, or even just do a google for "nvlddmkm.sys" you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the help though.