XP install Error/IRQL not less or equal/ intel dp35dp

lennyx

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
hi, I'm trying to install xp on my pc, new pc btw. however the xp is from my old dell, and SP1. when trying to install it it gets 1/2 way through the install and then I get the Blue screen with the IRQL not less or equal Error.

I can install vista with no problem. I really need the xp now since i'm doing audio recording and the interface has no vista drivers.

garyngusc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I have the EXACT same problem as you! I have the same motherboard and i'm running a new e8400 core2duo. I ALSO have to use xp because of audio recording.

I get to the Installing Devices stage of the installation and it fails. During the initial boot I also had problems as said it couldn't install the "driver.cab" file. Building this new computer has been one of the most frustrating experiences EVER!!! If you find any solutions out there please let me know!

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Gary your problem sounds like a CD read error. Try a CD lens cleaner if you can get one to work outside of windows or even cotton bud and alcoholic type substance (something that evaporates fast) on the laser. You will need to strip your CD drive for this method. Make sure PC is off 1st though and make sure XP CD is clean of fingerprints, grease and not scratched. I had this problem and copied the CD to another blank CD and it worked fine. If you can't try obtaining another XP CD even downloading one from the internet on another computer. You need that driver cabinet file before you install devices that is why its crashing.

Lenny you have hardware problems xp is a bit more sensitive to Vista. If you can at least get XP on the machine and booting correctly the problems may not be that bad to cause you any pain otherwise you will be looking at loads of BSOD.

Try memtest boot cd on your RAM 1st if any errors remove RAM and try to gently hoover your RAM slots or use a blower to clean any dust out. (A foot pump works well but cans of compressed air called air duster are Ideal) Wipe the sticks over and try them back in PC one at a time running mem check on individual sticks to see which has problem. If you find one with an error try running without this stick atleast until you get XP installed. I had this but cleaning mobo and reseating ram run a clear memtest.

Whilst still inside the PC check all other cables and cards are seated correctly. Hopefully your problems are not too bad and can be sorted without having to replace components.

Let me know how you get on and we will cross next bridge if we have to.

garyngusc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the advice, i'll try these things out. I was thinking it might be a cd drive problem. I'm using a liteon dvd burner as my cd drive currently and it sounds like powersaw cutting through a desk when it's reading discs. I understand that all drives make noise but this thing is off the charts! I'll install one of my old cd drives and see if that helps out!

Again, thanks for the advice! I'll post my results here for sure!

mafadecay

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Cheers Gary it is always good when people find a soulution or not in most cases to post results but often people forget and get too wrapped up in their newly working PC to give everybody who helped a thank you. If everybody was like this then forums could not exist and people with the same problems in the future would loose out.

From what you have said then I am almost convinced it is your drive. Good luck! Don't bin it though it may work well in everything else just not XP installations.

garyngusc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You know what, i told newegg.com, who i bought the drive from along with the rest of my setup, and they actually just sent me a replacement! I'm hoping i have better luck with this one... I'm in the process of trying to reinstall now.... crossing my fingers... thanks for the help and i'll let you know what happens =)

latenightrob

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
I just got thru this exact same problem..take a look at my thread

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250317-31-windows-install-build

it is wierd but this is what intel's website says "Windows* XP: If your desktop board includes PCI Express* capability, you must use Windows XP with Service Pack 2, which includes support for PCI Express. "

What I had to do was follow a link Intel supplied and slip streamed my copy of XP to include sp2. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
I used this also to create the new bootable disc. http://www.nliteos.com/

good luck

garyngusc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
yup i think that's the issue. I ran memetest and ram is fine, used a new cd rom and that's not the problem... i really hope that's what i have to do... i'll keep you all posted, THANKS!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I installed XP SP1 on a GA-P35-DQ6 with a Q6600 and had no problems at all. It went in like silk. I have been thinking about slipstreaming my disk. I have an image of the clean updated install so it's not that important to me. Maybe one day when I'm bored.

latenightrob

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

that was my whole problem...sp1 went in no problem on my asrock board but the "intel" board required sp2