Windows Explorer XP - View auto reseting to sort by name f..

I started noticing that when viewing files via Windows Explorer, the file
were all being sorted by name from Z-A (descending), rather than from A-Z
(ascending) Can anybody jelp me out? Thanks
--
Kris78

Hi,

Click on the column header in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer to
reverse the order.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"kris78" <yogi1053@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I started noticing that when viewing files via Windows Explorer, the file
> were all being sorted by name from Z-A (descending), rather than from A-Z
> (ascending) Can anybody jelp me out? Thanks
> --
> Kris78

Yes and that's exactly what I've been doing all along, but it’s occurring on
a regular basis, and I like to customize view settings for certain folders,
according to their contents, so it gets a little irritating when I have to
keep re-customizing my view settings over and over again (BTW I don't use the
"Apply to All Folders" or "Reset All Folders" options when customizing).

I’m just trying to get a permanent resolution on this so I don’t have to
waste so much time re-customizing. I’m picky and meticulous and have to have
my folders a certain way. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to
software, and I've double-checked all of the obvious possibilities. I even
have Windows Explorer set to remember each folders view settings too, and the
option is still enabled after the folders get reset to the descending order.
So if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.
--
Kris78

kris78 wrote:
> Yes and that's exactly what I've been doing all along, but it's occurring on
> a regular basis, and I like to customize view settings for certain folders,
> according to their contents, so it gets a little irritating when I have to
> keep re-customizing my view settings over and over again (BTW I don't use the
> "Apply to All Folders" or "Reset All Folders" options when customizing).
>
> I'm just trying to get a permanent resolution on this so I don't have to
> waste so much time re-customizing. I'm picky and meticulous and have to have
> my folders a certain way. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to
> software, and I've double-checked all of the obvious possibilities. I even
> have Windows Explorer set to remember each folders view settings too, and the
> option is still enabled after the folders get reset to the descending order.
> So if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.
> --
> Kris78
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Click on the column header in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer to
>>reverse the order.
>>
>>--
>>Best of Luck,
>>
>>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>>"kris78" <yogi1053@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I started noticing that when viewing files via Windows Explorer, the file
>>>were all being sorted by name from Z-A (descending), rather than from A-Z
>>>(ascending) Can anybody jelp me out? Thanks
>>>--
>>>Kris78

There's a limit on the view options. Don't remember exactly ho w many.
Do you have a large number of folders? Might take a look at
number 2 on this link:

gls858

ONE OTHER THING...I'm still confused as to why it's reseting the file/folder
name sort order to descending, rather than the default ascending order from
A-Z. It doesn't seem like the "Folder View Size Limit" would effect this.
--
Kris78

"gls858" wrote:

> kris78 wrote:
> > Yes and that's exactly what I've been doing all along, but it’s occurring on
> > a regular basis, and I like to customize view settings for certain folders,
> > according to their contents, so it gets a little irritating when I have to
> > keep re-customizing my view settings over and over again (BTW I don't use the
> > "Apply to All Folders" or "Reset All Folders" options when customizing).
> >
> > I’m just trying to get a permanent resolution on this so I don’t have to
> > waste so much time re-customizing. I’m picky and meticulous and have to have
> > my folders a certain way. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to
> > software, and I've double-checked all of the obvious possibilities. I even
> > have Windows Explorer set to remember each folders view settings too, and the
> > option is still enabled after the folders get reset to the descending order.
> > So if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.
> > --
> > Kris78
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Click on the column header in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer to
> >>reverse the order.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Best of Luck,
> >>
> >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >>"kris78" <yogi1053@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> There's a limit on the view options. Don't remember exactly ho w many.
> Do you have a large number of folders? Might take a look at
> number 2 on this link:

> gls858

Do you think an increase from 5000 to 8000 would really help? I'm running
WinXP SP2, and when SP2 is installed, it's supposed to autmatically change
the "Folder View Limit" to 5000, from the SP1 default setting of 400. I
checked the "BagMTU Size" in my registry, (which I'm pretty sure is the
individual registry key that controls the "Folder View Limit"), to make sure
this value was in place, and it was properly set at 5000, so I'm thinking
there might be something else going on, unless I'm wrong and the BagMTU Size
isn't actually what controls the Folder View Size Limit. I went ahead and
bumped it up from 5000 to 8000 though, to see if it might help. Thanks

Kris78

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:13:57 -0700, kris78 wrote:

> Do you think an increase from 5000 to 8000 would really help?

It might and it won't hurt anything to try the setting. Without changing
this value, older "remembered" settings for folders are dropped when new
folders are set. Increasing the number of folders to be remembered helps to
avoid this.

There is an old sort order bug that rears its head now and then but it
usually manifests in dialog boxes, not folder windows. However this is the
solution to that situation: Open a single Windows Explorer window. If
necessary, click the Folder button to get the tree view in the left hand
column. Put the focus on C: and using Details view, fix the sort order.
Then close Explorer by pressing Ctrl and clicking the X. Reopen Explorer.
If still no luck with sort order, repeat the steps but close using File>
Close. Once the sort order is sticking, go back to your preferred view
settings for C:

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Well I'll definitely give it a shot. Thank you very much for all your help!
--
Kris78

On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:31:03 -0700, kris78 wrote:

> Well I'll definitely give it a shot. Thank you very much for all your help!

You're welcome and good luck, Kris!
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User