Windows Explorer XP - View auto reseting to sort by name f..

I started noticing that when viewing files via Windows Explorer, the file
were all being sorted by name from Z-A (descending), rather than from A-Z
(ascending) Can anybody jelp me out? Thanks
--
Kris78
8 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Click on the column header in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer to
    reverse the order.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "kris78" <yogi1053@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I started noticing that when viewing files via Windows Explorer, the file
    > were all being sorted by name from Z-A (descending), rather than from A-Z
    > (ascending) Can anybody jelp me out? Thanks
    > --
    > Kris78

    Yes and that's exactly what I've been doing all along, but it’s occurring on
    a regular basis, and I like to customize view settings for certain folders,
    according to their contents, so it gets a little irritating when I have to
    keep re-customizing my view settings over and over again (BTW I don't use the
    "Apply to All Folders" or "Reset All Folders" options when customizing).

    I’m just trying to get a permanent resolution on this so I don’t have to
    waste so much time re-customizing. I’m picky and meticulous and have to have
    my folders a certain way. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to
    software, and I've double-checked all of the obvious possibilities. I even
    have Windows Explorer set to remember each folders view settings too, and the
    option is still enabled after the folders get reset to the descending order.
    So if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.
    --
    Kris78

    kris78 wrote:
    > Yes and that's exactly what I've been doing all along, but it's occurring on
    > a regular basis, and I like to customize view settings for certain folders,
    > according to their contents, so it gets a little irritating when I have to
    > keep re-customizing my view settings over and over again (BTW I don't use the
    > "Apply to All Folders" or "Reset All Folders" options when customizing).
    >
    > I'm just trying to get a permanent resolution on this so I don't have to
    > waste so much time re-customizing. I'm picky and meticulous and have to have
    > my folders a certain way. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to
    > software, and I've double-checked all of the obvious possibilities. I even
    > have Windows Explorer set to remember each folders view settings too, and the
    > option is still enabled after the folders get reset to the descending order.
    > So if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.
    > --
    > Kris78
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Click on the column header in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer to
    >>reverse the order.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Best of Luck,
    >>
    >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >>"kris78" <yogi1053@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I started noticing that when viewing files via Windows Explorer, the file
    >>>were all being sorted by name from Z-A (descending), rather than from A-Z
    >>>(ascending) Can anybody jelp me out? Thanks
    >>>--
    >>>Kris78

    There's a limit on the view options. Don't remember exactly ho w many.
    Do you have a large number of folders? Might take a look at
    number 2 on this link:

    gls858

    ONE OTHER THING...I'm still confused as to why it's reseting the file/folder
    name sort order to descending, rather than the default ascending order from
    A-Z. It doesn't seem like the "Folder View Size Limit" would effect this.
    --
    Kris78

    "gls858" wrote:

    > kris78 wrote:
    > > Yes and that's exactly what I've been doing all along, but it’s occurring on
    > > a regular basis, and I like to customize view settings for certain folders,
    > > according to their contents, so it gets a little irritating when I have to
    > > keep re-customizing my view settings over and over again (BTW I don't use the
    > > "Apply to All Folders" or "Reset All Folders" options when customizing).
    > >
    > > I’m just trying to get a permanent resolution on this so I don’t have to
    > > waste so much time re-customizing. I’m picky and meticulous and have to have
    > > my folders a certain way. I'm pretty computer savvy when it comes to
    > > software, and I've double-checked all of the obvious possibilities. I even
    > > have Windows Explorer set to remember each folders view settings too, and the
    > > option is still enabled after the folders get reset to the descending order.
    > > So if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.
    > > --
    > > Kris78
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>Click on the column header in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer to
    > >>reverse the order.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Best of Luck,
    > >>
    > >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >>"kris78" <yogi1053@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > There's a limit on the view options. Don't remember exactly ho w many.
    > Do you have a large number of folders? Might take a look at
    > number 2 on this link:

    > gls858

    Do you think an increase from 5000 to 8000 would really help? I'm running
    WinXP SP2, and when SP2 is installed, it's supposed to autmatically change
    the "Folder View Limit" to 5000, from the SP1 default setting of 400. I
    checked the "BagMTU Size" in my registry, (which I'm pretty sure is the
    individual registry key that controls the "Folder View Limit"), to make sure
    this value was in place, and it was properly set at 5000, so I'm thinking
    there might be something else going on, unless I'm wrong and the BagMTU Size
    isn't actually what controls the Folder View Size Limit. I went ahead and
    bumped it up from 5000 to 8000 though, to see if it might help. Thanks

    Kris78

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:13:57 -0700, kris78 wrote:

    > Do you think an increase from 5000 to 8000 would really help?

    It might and it won't hurt anything to try the setting. Without changing
    this value, older "remembered" settings for folders are dropped when new
    folders are set. Increasing the number of folders to be remembered helps to
    avoid this.

    There is an old sort order bug that rears its head now and then but it
    usually manifests in dialog boxes, not folder windows. However this is the
    solution to that situation: Open a single Windows Explorer window. If
    necessary, click the Folder button to get the tree view in the left hand
    column. Put the focus on C: and using Details view, fix the sort order.
    Then close Explorer by pressing Ctrl and clicking the X. Reopen Explorer.
    If still no luck with sort order, repeat the steps but close using File>
    Close. Once the sort order is sticking, go back to your preferred view
    settings for C:

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Well I'll definitely give it a shot. Thank you very much for all your help!
    --
    Kris78

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:31:03 -0700, kris78 wrote:

    > Well I'll definitely give it a shot. Thank you very much for all your help!

    You're welcome and good luck, Kris!
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User