Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 2000 keeps deleting all files in Temp folder...

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
May 2, 2010 6:35:53 PM

Hello people,

I have a bunch of PCs with Windows 2000 SP4 installed - some dual-boot upgrades from W98SE and some clean installs. Most have been working fine without any problems, BUT...

Three of the Windows 2000 installations (two clean installs, and one dual-boot upgrade from W98SE) exhibit an annoying trait, which is as follows -

On every program or process start, and on each program or process end, Windows 2000 deletes the contents of the Temp folder - that is, ALL of the files and folders within the Temp folder at the time. This might be tolerable if the Temp folder was entirely quarantined for system use, but I habitually use the Temp folder to dump other stuff that I only want to use for a short while. Problem is, I can't do that because it gets deleted before I get a chance to touch it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that - one could just accept that the Temp folder is off-limits for mortal use. But it's the principle of the thing that bugs me - it shouldn't be doing it, and I can't figure out why it's happening.

There are no resident programs or processes operating on these three PCs that aren't also on the other dozen or so PCs which are all working fine and DON'T delete all the files in the Temp folder at every opportunity. I can't find any script or other suspect to explain this behavior.

I scoured the registry looking for any entries that might relate to periodic, scheduled or process-triggered deletion of the Temp folder's contents, but came up with a blank.

I don't believe Windows 2000 should behave in this manner by default, seeing as how most of my PCs don't do this, so figure something must be different on the three PCs in question to have caused this anomalous behavior.

But I'm clueless as to what obscure registry setting or process might be causing this.

Can someone shed some light on what's going on here and how I might stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help.

Best solution

May 15, 2010 8:57:30 PM

Quote:
Hello people,

I have a bunch of PCs with Windows 2000 SP4 installed - some dual-boot upgrades from W98SE and some clean installs. Most have been working fine without any problems, BUT...

Three of the Windows 2000 installations (two clean installs, and one dual-boot upgrade from W98SE) exhibit an annoying trait, which is as follows -

On every program or process start, and on each program or process end, Windows 2000 deletes the contents of the Temp folder - that is, ALL of the files and folders within the Temp folder at the time. This might be tolerable if the Temp folder was entirely quarantined for system use, but I habitually use the Temp folder to dump other stuff that I only want to use for a short while. Problem is, I can't do that because it gets deleted before I get a chance to touch it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that - one could just accept that the Temp folder is off-limits for mortal use. But it's the principle of the thing that bugs me - it shouldn't be doing it, and I can't figure out why it's happening.

There are no resident programs or processes operating on these three PCs that aren't also on the other dozen or so PCs which are all working fine and DON'T delete all the files in the Temp folder at every opportunity. I can't find any script or other suspect to explain this behavior.

I scoured the registry looking for any entries that might relate to periodic, scheduled or process-triggered deletion of the Temp folder's contents, but came up with a blank.

I don't believe Windows 2000 should behave in this manner by default, seeing as how most of my PCs don't do this, so figure something must be different on the three PCs in question to have caused this anomalous behavior.

But I'm clueless as to what obscure registry setting or process might be causing this.

Can someone shed some light on what's going on here and how I might stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help.

my computer, control panel, internet options, temporary internet files advanced tab, un-check empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed, click apply, restart computer.
July 8, 2010 4:41:59 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
m
l
!