Boot new HDD from ubuntu download?

bull2118

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
My tale of whoa! As in whoa, I cant find my XP disk.

I have an old IDE hdd and my no mobo is only sata, which is fine i needed a new hdd anyways. Anyhow, I lost my XP disk but have the code so mu buddy says hey, just boot your new hdd with ubuntu. Sound easy enough but my questions are

1. Is it really as easy as downloading ubuntu to my desk top, saving it to a disk and then putting the disk in my new build and voila! Everything will be gravy?

2. Suppose it works out that easy, does ubuntu allow one to partition their hdd before install like Windows?

3. Having never used a linux system before, once I sail through the install with no complications, can I just throw any of my games in the tray and load and play like normal?

Thanks!

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
1) You have to burn the (iso) image to a disk (using something like Nero), not copy it.

2) Partitioning is part of the install process, you can accept the default of set your own, but you will need to know what you want first.

3) Nope, some games (and other Windows programs) will run under Wine (a Windows emulator) and some won't.