No pointer

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I have just installed Fedora 7 and can't see the mouse pointer. I believe I had this problem when I used Ubuntu. I think it has something to do with NVidia drivers. Does anyone know how to fix this. I have onboard video 6100 GPU.

Hmm, that's an odd occurrence. Fedora 7 is pretty old, so perhaps upgrade to the latest Fedora before installing the NVIDIA drivers and you'll have your mouse pointer.

linux_0

Splendid
I'm with MU, unless there is a very good reason to run Fedora 7 you should definitely use Fedora 10 or Fedora 11 which is due to be released this month.

It may take a few days or a couple of weeks for the drivers to catch up with Fedora 11 after it's released but Fedora 10 works great with the nvidia drivers, although you should be prepared to upgrade to Fedora 11.

ijack's suggestion should work if you still don't have a pointer on Fedora 10 or 11.

Good luck :)

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
For the next month I'm stuck using the version because I need it for a school project. After that I might upgrade to learn a little about Linux. I barely know enough to get it installed right now. I tried to install it on a RAID once and it failed miserably. I'm a Windows user because I've yet to learn many of the fairly basic operations of Linux. Can anyone suggest a good place to start? I know a little about programming ( with Java) but I'd also like to learn some more about programming in Linux and use Linux. I think I'll need a good book to read on the subject. Any one out there know of a good book.

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
The project is to set up a Linux server with Fedora 7. I doesn't seem that I will be going very in dept in the project. From what I have seen of Ubuntu I find Linux a little confusing. I would consider myself fairly proficient with windows, but I look worse than my grandmother when it comes to Linux.