Silver Sensor

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 19, 2004 5:31:36 AM

I bought a zenith silver sensor and I need the best and largest preamp for
this. Does anyone have any info this.

Thank You

Tom

More about : silver sensor

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:31:37 AM

Tom wrote:

> I bought a zenith silver sensor and I need the best and largest
preamp for
> this. Does anyone have any info this.

Largest?

With preamps, quality matters more than quantity. You don't need a lot
of powerful gain, what you need is low noise and clean signal. So
avoid cheap brands.
I don't have any models to recommend offhand, maybe someone else does.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:13:39 PM

Beware also the GIGO effect (Garbage in = garbage out). For weak signal
work a preamp will sometimes help, but it won't drag in a signal that's
not there to begin with or clean up one that's distorted from the effects
of multipath. Whatever you buy, open it carefully & save everything so you
can return it.

The Silver Sensor is probably one of the best indoor UHF antennas you'll
be able to find, so it it's not working out, you probably need to put
something outside. If your home has any metal siding or foil-backed
insulation in the walls or a metal roof or even zinc-impregnated shingles
for mold abatement, an indoor antenna probably isn't going to work very
well, even if you're fairly close to the transmitter(s).

In article <1103433985.064728.154060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> "Paul
Kienitz" <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> writes:

>Tom wrote:
>
>> I bought a zenith silver sensor and I need the best and largest
>preamp for
>> this. Does anyone have any info this.
>
>Largest?
>
>With preamps, quality matters more than quantity. You don't need a lot
>of powerful gain, what you need is low noise and clean signal. So
>avoid cheap brands.
>I don't have any models to recommend offhand, maybe someone else does.
December 21, 2004 7:22:16 AM

Kienitz" <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> > I bought a zenith silver sensor and I need the best and largest
> preamp for
> > this. Does anyone have any info this.
>
> Largest?
>
> With preamps, quality matters more than quantity. You don't need a lot
> of powerful gain, what you need is low noise and clean signal. So
> avoid cheap brands.
> I don't have any models to recommend offhand, maybe someone else does.

Sound advice! The ChannelMaster Titan series of preamps (e.g. 7777)
have low noise figures (2 DB), stable performance, and adequate gain.

Good preamps do help with a weak signal because they can strengthen
the signal enough to overcome the signal losses from the input line and
the noise added by the TV amplifier, provided they do not add a lot of
noise and distortion themselves.

For best results, connect the preamp directly to the silver sensor with as
little intermediate cable as possible (or use a gender adapter).

Paul

--
Email: lastname at best dot com. No spam please.
All spam will be complained to sender's ISP.

In article <znrxd.214335$5K2.24976@attbi_s03>, firemantom2653246676@comcast.net
says...
> I am running this preamp now I was just wondering if thre is any better out
> there now.
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2...
>

> Tom

Tom,

I am just now researching HDTV to upgrade my home setup. I can tell you that
with analog OTA I went thru 5 or 6 different pre amps from many makers. The
best for me was a Channel Master mast mounted preamp with an indoor power
supply. Once the signal is inside the house it is kicked up further by a very
large Channel Master MATV amp and then fed out to a couple of decent quality
splitters.

Think I paid around $75 for the mast mounted Channel Master preamp. The MATV
pre amp was free but I had to replace a couple of transistors that were
throwing garbage on the signal once it ran for a couple of hours.

Steve
N2UBP
!