vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
why does the windows XP not recognize the full capacity of the hard drive during installation. my 320GB seagate sata hdd was detected as 130gb. however after installation the XP detected the right amount. is ther any limitation while loading the OS. plz help!

sys config
Intel Core 2 duo e6750 2.66 GHz
Asus P5KC mb
2GB DDR2 800 MHz
320GB seagate Sata 16mb cache hdd

OS - WinXP professional

riser

Illustrious
That's the most the OS could recognize at the time. There is a patch on MS that will allow it to see beyong 130GB. At that time of XP, I'm not sure that a 130GB HDD was very common place.

But there is a patch out there but you may end up with 2 partitions which, considering the size of your hard drive, is probably a good thing.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I believe you need SP2 for XP to recognize beyond 130GB. All of my copies of XP have SP2 but if your's doesn't, upgrading to SP2 should take care of it. If it is recognizing at or near 320GB after installation, not sure what the problem is.

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
hey winXP with SP2 works, thnx a lot. :)

Seagate customer care did not have an answer, they were wondering if my mother board supported LBA mode even though i told them mine was a latest Asus p5kc mb. their knowledge base do not have any reference to this either.

:sarcastic: had no clue on using the exact phrases to carryout anykind of research on the net, several key combinations returned irrelevant topics.

searching microsoft db did not help too.