A question about a duel boot system XP & Vista?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Can I have XP & Vista on two different partitions on one HDD? I would hate to have to buy another HDD (Raptor only person) just two run Vista. I would only use Vista for games like Crysis. Thanks for helping!

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
You can...

I run windows Vista and XP on two partitions (C:\ and E:\). Just make sure you have enough space. I run out all the time! (I have an 80 gigabyte hard drive).

Which reminds me. I'm not too old, but I remember 5 years ago when 10 gigabytes were all you needed.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
They both boot from the same active partition. Vistas boot manager is able to give boot back to xp's ntldr, so no problem. It is easiest to install vista after xp, but the other way around is also manageable

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Thanks guys! I guess I would spit my Raptor 150GB HD into two 75GB partitions, but I would have to reinstall XP on only a 75GB partition. In January I plan on getting a better computer case, the SilverStone TJ09.

It is possible, but not really recommended... if one OS screws up, there's a good chance that both will be hosed as a result and you'll have to reinstall everything again. It is MUCH better to dedicate one hard drive to a single OS.

As for being "Raptor-only"... you should get a large hard drive with a huge (32MB) cache... you won't notice a lot of difference in speed. (Not to mention you get a lot more space for the amount of money you'd waste on a Raptor)