Sign in with
Your question

This TV Card, Hauppauge HVR-1600, works w/Vista x64, sort of

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2007 5:46:51 AM

This topic is more or less just an f.y.i. for anyone out there looking to add a TV card to a Vista x64 installation. See my signature for more detailed specs.

The Short Version: I give this card (Hauppauge HVR-1600) for Vista x64 a:
5 out of 10

* It works... but just barely and after too much work trying to make it do so. This definitely isn't "Plug and Play".
* Hauppauge's own TV software doesn't work with Vista x64 (quoted from Hauppauge Tech Support).
* The remote does NOT work with Vista x64 (yet). I'm hoping there will be a driver or software update.
* The drivers from the website (3.4B) do NOT always work, I had to get beta drivers from tech support.
* If Micro$oft hadn't made Windows Media Center... Hauppauge couldn't slap the Vista sticker on the box.
* Analog signal is good, rather acceptable actually. HD Video/Audio decoding (regardless of signal strength) is VERY sub-par, unwatchable. If and when it works, it looks great. But that is VERY VERY RARE!!!
* If I didn't see potential for this card to be better (which I hope new drivers will take care of)... I would have given this card a 3 out of 10 with 2.9 of those points going to Microsoft.

The Longer More Detailed Version, read on...

Now then, I bought the Hauppauge HVR-1600. At first, it didn't work. I installed the drivers from their website (3.4B)... the VERY drivers that they state works with Vista x64. I did it exactly as they specify it should be done, yet all I received in Windows Media Center was a loss of signal. I spent most of the night scouring through the internet for a glimmer of hope, no luck.

Next day, I contact Hauppauge. "Yeah, the drivers on the website don't work" the support guy says. To which I reply, "well, then can you send me some drivers that work?". He sends them to me... sure enough, they work. But ONLY with Windows Media Center.

Hauppauges own software doesn't even work with Vista x64. Only the drivers do and only with Windows Media Center. The IR software doesn't work with Windows Media Center, so you CAN'T use the remote. SO, you can only use your mouse.

The analog TV tuner is as Hauppauges has always been, decent and acceptable. The HD antenna tuner (regardless of signal strength) sucks. The decoding is simply horrible. Sometimes the sound works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you even get sounds from a different channel! :? I hope they can fix this with a driver update.

This kind of service doesn't surprise me from Hauppauge. My old PCI 878chipset WinTV card, according to them, would never work with XP x64 because they couldn't make drivers that would work with the OS. Wouldn't is a more suitable word. I got it working with 3rd party drivers and a few 3rd party apps. It's just another way for them to make money I guess. Bastards! (I'm not bitter though, or am I?) :p 

All i have to say is, I hope they stop misleading their customers into thinking that their hardware works flawlessly with Vista x64. Their software doesn't work. You can't use the remote (yet) and if it wasn't for Microsoft getting their act together and making a program that work... Hauppauge wouldn't be able to slap that BS Vista sticker on the box!

The only reason I'm hanging onto this card is because:
1. - If they can get it working correctly with Vista and having the remote working, it will be a great card.
2. - I have hopes that Hauppauge will pull through for their customers (this is wishful thinking at it's most extreme!!!)
3. - The analog tuner works, plane and simple. It's functional but NOT up to the standards that one desires.
4. - I'm hoping a driver fix will take care of the HD problems. To me, this card isn't HD ready. But when (and this is rare) the sound and video sync correctly, even the HD looks pretty good.

If they can get the drivers working correctly so that you can use the remote with Windows Media Center (Hauppauges TV software is garbage and really OLD), then this card has the potential to be a 10 out of 10. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
May 11, 2007 9:04:27 AM

Just thought I'd add my $0.02. I have my MCE150 working with XP64. Works like a charm. Installed in minutes.
May 11, 2007 3:20:04 PM

Quote:
Just thought I'd add my $0.02. I have my MCE150 working with XP64. Works like a charm. Installed in minutes.

This one doesn't come with a remote or HD tuner though, correct? I would imaging that a card only an analog tuner would work well with Windows Media Center.

Like I mentioned, the analog tuner works well... no complaints about that one really. Biggest issues are with the HD tuner on the HVR-1600 and the lack of remote drivers/software.

Did you use the online drivers (3.4B) or did you also have to contact tech support for a different set?
May 12, 2007 10:59:12 AM

My card didn't come with a remote but is available seperately. Maybe you should consider trying your card in Xp?
May 2, 2008 5:08:58 PM

Hi,

I don't really understand your original rant. I purchased the HVR-1600 for use with Vista 64-bit and I have to say it works perfectly with both Windows Media Center and with the WinTV6 application it ships with. Also, the remote comes with the 1600, and it also works perfectly. I have been using it pretty well every day for 4 months, and have only just had my first issue with it. I watch sports highlights on the score using exclusively the remote, and record "Lost" every week using the PVR function. I have yet to use the keyboard or mouse for any of this as the remote works exactly as I expect it would.

The only issues I have had : After upgrading to 4GB of RAM (from 2GB), I found that playback stuttered with the card, either in WMC or WinTV6. I also found a solution via a Vistax64 forum where the poster stated that the Hauppauge drivers did not like systems with 4GB or RAM or more. If you go into msconfig and the boot tab, you can click on the Advanced Options. Set your max memory to 3840 MBs instead of 4096 (lower by 256 MB). All stuttering has disappeared and the card once again works perfectly with WMC. I have checked the Hauppauge site, and although they don't acknowledge this specific problem, they do say newer 64-bit drivers are coming which I presume will fix it. Therefore, I consider this a workaround until such time as the drivers fully support addressing 4GB of RAM or more.

So I am not sure what your rant was about, because according to my own system, it is not accurate. I do not have an HD antenna, so I have not yet tried the Over-The-Air digital tuner, but one of these days I will. I actually had no problem at all getting it going, I just installed the drivers from the site, then WinTV6, and it has been working ever since. I pretty well exclusively use the card in WMC though as I find it quite a sharp piece of code.

As a last note, you say you are using the 3.4B drivers from their site, but as far as I can see, those are 32-bit Vista drivers. I installed and am using the 3.1G drivers which according to this link, are the latest available for Vista x64 :

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/vista.html

Thanks,
BM.

January 29, 2009 2:04:23 AM

Hi and thanks for the fantastic info regarding the WMC tv. I've only had my computer about a month and the WMC tv has never worked consistently. I've been on the phone with Dell tech support for a total of 4 hours with no help. I finally decided to try and find the answer myself by reading on the internet. Your answer to lowering the max memory WORKED!! Thank you.

BUT....I went back into the Advanced Tab to put it back to 6144 MBs ( I have 6MB, Vista, 64 bit OS) instead of 3840 as you suggested...it seems to be stuck on 3072 MB. I can not get it to change back to the 6144 MB to see in fact if this really is the cure. When I try to change it...it just goes back to 3072....won't let me go any higher than that. I'm happy my WMC tv works but hope I didn't mess anything up.

Thanks! TC

bat123man said:
Hi,

I don't really understand your original rant. I purchased the HVR-1600 for use with Vista 64-bit and I have to say it works perfectly with both Windows Media Center and with the WinTV6 application it ships with. Also, the remote comes with the 1600, and it also works perfectly. I have been using it pretty well every day for 4 months, and have only just had my first issue with it. I watch sports highlights on the score using exclusively the remote, and record "Lost" every week using the PVR function. I have yet to use the keyboard or mouse for any of this as the remote works exactly as I expect it would.

The only issues I have had : After upgrading to 4GB of RAM (from 2GB), I found that playback stuttered with the card, either in WMC or WinTV6. I also found a solution via a Vistax64 forum where the poster stated that the Hauppauge drivers did not like systems with 4GB or RAM or more. If you go into msconfig and the boot tab, you can click on the Advanced Options. Set your max memory to 3840 MBs instead of 4096 (lower by 256 MB). All stuttering has disappeared and the card once again works perfectly with WMC. I have checked the Hauppauge site, and although they don't acknowledge this specific problem, they do say newer 64-bit drivers are coming which I presume will fix it. Therefore, I consider this a workaround until such time as the drivers fully support addressing 4GB of RAM or more.

So I am not sure what your rant was about, because according to my own system, it is not accurate. I do not have an HD antenna, so I have not yet tried the Over-The-Air digital tuner, but one of these days I will. I actually had no problem at all getting it going, I just installed the drivers from the site, then WinTV6, and it has been working ever since. I pretty well exclusively use the card in WMC though as I find it quite a sharp piece of code.

As a last note, you say you are using the 3.4B drivers from their site, but as far as I can see, those are 32-bit Vista drivers. I installed and am using the 3.1G drivers which according to this link, are the latest available for Vista x64 :

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/vista.html

Thanks,
BM.

January 31, 2009 9:44:49 AM

Hmm, old thread. I am having a wierd problem. The software the card comes with works perfectly, but media center says "no tuner found". I detects that I have digital antenna or whatever like everything is fine but then when I go to live tv it doesnt work. I also have x64
January 31, 2009 12:51:59 PM

I tried 1600 and 1800 on my PC. Both work with media center. Hauppage software also works fine.

For the HD tuner to work you need to have un-scrambled HD signal in your line. For over the air you need to use HD Antenna.

My OS is 64Bit Ultimate and i have 8 GB of memory

The thing that i don't like with 1600 & 1800 is the analog tuner. ATI 650 PCIE has a better analog tuner than hauppage.
!