The problem is not in sending (where, in my experience, the problem usually is). I'm sending fine, but three times now, the receiving has quit/gone berserk.
I've never had this problem before, ever. Now I've had it three times.
1. In June, one morning Outlook would not receive (no changes from the previous night, with possible exception of Avast auto-update). Instead of the "Receiving and Sending Mail" dialog coming up for a moment or two, it would only barely flash (couldn't actually see the dialog). Nothing but rebooting computer would get email back. (I could send, but not receive.)
My ISP tech support said log showed I was logging into POP3, immediately logging out.
2. About two weeks later, ditto, exactly.
3. It's been working fine from late June until today. I received, replied to, and sent messages this morning, multiple times. Then, I tried to receive again, and got the fast-flash dialog and no download. (I checked my Webmail, and a message is waiting for me.)
Now this is totally weird: I posted my question Jun 2; I received a reply (finally) on Aug 11. I replied to that on Aug 18 (two days ago, just to make that clear), and today I got an email telling me my thread has gone inactive!!!
Not only have I received no help with my problem with Outlook, now this Website is giving me weird stuff.