Dual-booted but now confused please help

elite2005

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Ok so i installed XP first then Vista ultimate 64 bit through dual boot. The problem im wondering is, i partitioned the Drive for vista to be 15 gigs and the rest 250 gigs are remaining on the main drive for XP. When i install programs on XP say, can it still run on vista or do i have to do the same install on vista as well taking double the space?

What about games, if i installed crysis on xp already, does this mean i have to re-install crysis on vista again too? Cus i only have 15 gigs of partitioned space saved for vista OS and drivers alone. How can i fit other programs in it now?? Increasing partition size or creating another partition just for the games / programs. Thanks.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Unfortunately, old dos program could do that but sincy most of Windows Application use registry, no you can not. You must install at both places. CPU-Z is an example where there is no need of installation.

But, I might be wrong, why don't you just try it? The worst that could happen is the application won't start.

If you keep both is because you want to specialize and use an application for a specific Windows or you are experiencing Vista. Is it the case?

kingoftherings

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Like the above poster said, it won't work because of the registry. Since XP has the most space, I assume you'll be using it most? Then pick your 'mission critical' apps and put on there, and put on Vista whatever you want to use Vista for.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
You could add another HD and have dual boot by BIOS. It what I use now. I have 2 320 seagate in RAID0 for Vista and another 320 for Windows Server 2003 for my development. All those three are connected to SATA handled by Intel chipset, not the JMicron SATA. It work like a charm. When I boot my computer, I choose the F8 to select to boot from (Floppy/CD/RAID0/HD#3). So no partition required and all independent.

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

Vista has a partition manager built in.
I'm not in front of my computer right now, but I know you have to right click on "computer" than "manage". After that you should be able to fine it.

In the partition manager there is a way to expand a partition.

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Leaving 15gb for vista is the bare minimium with the space you have you should allocate at least 40gb (home premium version and above) and you would have to install everything twice as it is two operating systems, there is nothing linking them together accept your boot up screen

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
when you insatll the program make its path point to the other partition. It will store the program there but will run on vista. I have the same problem on this computer 98 2000 xp due to poor planing on my part and not enough ambition to correct it. When you install a program it always asks what drive\directory you want it in, but most people just say ok. It doesnt matter just so long as vista knows.
Unless vista stores in a different format eg. win32 ntfs there should be no problem.
As far as installing once and running on either op sys would be great but as far as I know, not possible.

monnewbie3

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I got a seperate gaming drive, and I dual boot xp, vista.
I rarely have to install a game twice. The odd game I do, due to some stuff being stored in the native OS reg.
The only thing you'll have to do is enter your cd-key again as that info is usually in your registry.

With crysis it worked fine with dual boot.