matutolas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Hi when i install 4G on my system, i cant see them on my xp professional sp2 even after edit the boot.ini

Asus P5B-Deluxe
E6700
4G DDR2 667

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
You can't use 4GB on a 32 bit OS as it can't address it.

The system will usually still work but you'll only have a round 3GB of memory.

If you want 4GB+ of memory you need to buy Vista 64.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Windows XP 32 bit (OEM/Home/Pro) OS has an upper limet of 4GB of ram.

MS Vista sucks ass and even MS has already stated they will not offer any support after the end of 2008.

Vista is this decades ME. If you use it you got screwed.
Sorry but those are the hard cold facts.

Z

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi when i install 4G on my system, i cant see them on my xp professional sp2 even after edit the boot.ini

Asus P5B-Deluxe
E6700
4G DDR2 667

This is a VERY common problem, I need sleep or I would address it futher.

Google has the info.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I disagree, I put Vista on a 2800+ Socket A CPU Standard Nvidia 2 Chipset Gigabyte Motherboard, with on board Sound and Lan, a Sparkle Nvidia 256MB 6600 AGP vidio card. It runs like a dream, Doom 3 plays great, burning home made movies with no extra software. Fantastic! :D

Running the same monitor that I was under XP Pro, the screen even appears clearer. (As I have been wearing glasses since I was seven, I always notice things related to good vision).

I used an upgrade version of Home Premium, installed clean as a whistle. The only hardware issue ( and that was Creatives fault not Microsoft) is no support for Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound cards.

At this stage I'm only running 1GB of Ram, but the early reports I have heard say Vista runs fine with 4GB. (The 32bit version)

One happy customer :D :D :D

OH, and I have used ME, complete rubbish. 8O

sqqq

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
hello martyjs

32 bit os use 4 gb memory , not ram

memory includes ram , video ram , proccecor cache , and other

thank you

tmouse

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Not a Vista fan myself but where did you see ANY reference to an end of support by 2008? I think your confused with XP support.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Windows XP and Vista 32 Bit with a P5B Deluxe will only see 3 Gig. In the BIOS under chipset options, NorthBridge the Memory remapping feature. If you have 4 Gig and 32 Bit OS it should be disabled (The OS will see 3Gig). If you enable it with a 32 Bit OS will only see 2 Gig, but a 64 Bit OS will see all 4 Gig. Microsoft has a Physical Address Extension (PAE) option for vista on the Microsoft knowledge base but i tried it and it did not work. Here is the link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929580/en-us

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
No need to get antsi, I said I have heard, I didn't say it was fact. :(

I am not a poster that slams people, I always treat every post with respect and hope to be treated the same way.

If more people thought before they posted, these forumz would be a lot more fun. :)

I for one don't mind being picked up on incorrect facts. That's how sensible people learn. Show me the facts and I will gladly read them. :)

As a computer Tech I have fixed as many systems from asking for help and/or reading, being told the right answers as I,ve worked out my self. :)

I don't care were the information comes from, as long as it's delivered with respect, fun and manners. :)

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Also according to Microsoft, under some circumstances Vista will recognize 4GB of RAM.

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:
• The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:
• Intel 975X
• Intel P965
• Intel 955X on Socket 775
• Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
• The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
• The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.

Note When the physical RAM that is installed on a computer equals the address space that is supported by the chipset, the total system memory that is available to the operating system is always less than the physical RAM that is installed. For example, consider a computer that has an Intel 975X chipset that supports 8 GB of address space. If you install 8 GB of RAM, the system memory that is available to the operating system will be reduced by the PCI configuration requirements. In this scenario, PCI configuration requirements reduce the memory that is available to the operating system by an amount that is between approximately 200 MB and approximately 1 GB. The reduction depends on the configuration.

APPLIES TO
• Windows Vista Business
• Windows Vista Enterprise
• Windows Vista Home Basic
• Windows Vista Home Premium
• Windows Vista Starter
• Windows Vista Ultimate
• Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006

Sighs.

Read up. It can't address it as standard.

It might accept 4Gb of RAM but a 32 bit OS can't address 4GB of RAM.

There's only two ways to run 4Gb+ ram and thats with a 64 bit OS or using PAE - Physical Address Extension which is downloadable from Microsoft. However, I personally wouldn't start playing around with PAE's as its not worth all the risk. Just upgrade your OS.

As for Vista sucking a$$, you clearly don't know what you're talking about and are obviously a Vista hater. ME was highly unstable, Vista is more stable than XP. The talked about lack of drivers is by and large b*ll. Some companies still don't have niche drivers but support overall is better than it has been for some previous OS. The only thing I can't get a driver for is my Nikon camera and even that I can get around with a card reader.

Vista still has some minor bugs but its a great OS and far MORE stable than XP. XP support will end a long time before Vistas as Microsoft have already scheduled it several times.

I love Vista and wouldn't go back to XP for anyone and its stability is its best feature!

ulua56

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

Sighs.

Read up. It can't address it as standard.

It might accept 4Gb of RAM but a 32 bit OS can't address 4GB of RAM.

There's only two ways to run 4Gb+ ram and thats with a 64 bit OS or using PAE - Physical Address Extension which is downloadable from Microsoft. However, I personally wouldn't start playing around with PAE's as its not worth all the risk. Just upgrade your OS.

As for Vista sucking a$$, you clearly don't know what you're talking about and are obviously a Vista hater. ME was highly unstable, Vista is more stable than XP. The talked about lack of drivers is by and large b*ll. Some companies still don't have niche drivers but support overall is better than it has been for some previous OS. The only thing I can't get a driver for is my Nikon camera and even that I can get around with a card reader.

Vista still has some minor bugs but its a great OS and far MORE stable than XP. XP support will end a long time before Vistas as Microsoft have already scheduled it several times.

I love Vista and wouldn't go back to XP for anyone and its stability is its best feature!
WORD

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I know, people say vista is bad but i reckon that is only because they have forgotten the hardware upgrades required for XP/2000 etc.

From all my surfing forums there don't seem to be many problems at all with vista, you cannot expect MS to re-write all the drivers for this new OS, if your after some one to blame, blame the company that is actually responsible with making the new drivers.

Take my only problem. my laptop has a x1700 in it. ATI (or AMD) say they support it, guess what they don't. there has been one driver released for vista. (i am stuck on version 7.1), is this MS's fault for ATI/AMD's incompetence? (although they have been busy with the r600), but apart from that there are no problems.

It seems that most people are becoming vista bashers, i say if you don't like it switch to Linux or a mac and Shut the F UP. god, you MS bashers nag worse then a fat lesbian woman during that time of the month...

LET THE FLAME WAR BEGIN!

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Also according to Microsoft, under some circumstances Vista will recognize 4GB of RAM.

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:
• The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:
• Intel 975X
• Intel P965
• Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
• The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
• The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.

Note When the physical RAM that is installed on a computer equals the address space that is supported by the chipset, the total system memory that is available to the operating system is always less than the physical RAM that is installed. For example, consider a computer that has an Intel 975X chipset that supports 8 GB of address space. If you install 8 GB of RAM, the system memory that is available to the operating system will be reduced by the PCI configuration requirements. In this scenario, PCI configuration requirements reduce the memory that is available to the operating system by an amount that is between approximately 200 MB and approximately 1 GB. The reduction depends on the configuration.

APPLIES TO
• Windows Vista Business
• Windows Vista Enterprise
• Windows Vista Home Basic
• Windows Vista Home Premium
• Windows Vista Starter
• Windows Vista Ultimate
• Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
• Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition

The information from the Microsoft site is:

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements: • The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:
• Intel 975X
• Intel P965

• An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.
Contact the computer vendor to determine whether your computer meets these requirements.

The circumstances that Vista will recognize 4G of memory is when you use Vista x64 along with the necessary hardware support.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

MS Vista sucks ass and even MS has already stated they will not offer any support after the end of 2008.

Z

im affraid vista doesnt suck ass you seem to be one of these (usauly pro mac) people who cant live with change.

vista is not perfect, but tis a hell of a lot better than tiring old XP. and i would reccomend it as an upgrade (unless need - as in this case) until SP1.

and if vista the next ME, then you have a hell of a wait until blackcomb.
The best part about it is you can disable the bit you dont like or even set it to be a uptodate XP

G

this has been posted so many times in the past few months please try searching next time.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Z
Here are the cold hard facts regarding support:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

XP support will end before Vista:
Products Released: Windows XP Professional (same for Home)
General Availability Date: 12/31/2001
Mainstream Support Retired: 4/14/2009

Vista has guaranteed support for a minimum of 5 years form the release date, which would put it sometime in 2012. Oh, and Vista is nothing like ME... it is quite stable and works quite nicely in x64 mode so far.

Those are the cold hard facts.

G

vista is 'useable' at best. it still has quite a few problems that need to be addressed and companies that need to catch up with drivers. i liked a couple of features in it but for the most part its just an extra hassle rather than making life easier. ive had probably about 80% of my customers that wanted vista installed return and ask for xp instead. im sure vista will be very good eventually but as of right now id avoid it.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sighs.

Read up ... using PAE - Physical Address Extension which is downloadable from Microsoft. However, I personally wouldn't start playing around with PAE's as its not worth all the risk. Just upgrade your OS.

You may want to read up as well. PAE isn't a downloadable piece of software. It's an option for the bootloader. There's no risk at all, as you can enable it on a system with 512MB of RAM if you want, although it provides no benefit in that scenario.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa468629.aspx

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
My mistake on the download bit. You're still asking the guy to start messing with the boot settings though and that is not inherently without risk.