Using Norton ghost to copy XP

Albion221

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
About 3 months ago i bought a refurbished 350 GM HDD Then using Norton ghost 2003 i copied my old HDD that has 2 partitions C& D to the new drive.Everything was ok the information was copied properly and the new HDD booted first time and loaded into windows XP.

Then a couple of weeks ago the Windows XP on the new HDD refused to load it said something about missing files and got no further. I tried the repair option but that did not work so the only option seemed to be to format and reinstall XP which would mean reinstalling everything on the C partition.

Then i thought why not use Norton Ghost again to copy the working C partition from my old HDD to the new HDD and have a working copy of XP. I did not want to loose the stuff on the D partition on the new drive so i chose to copy only the C partition from the old drive to the new drive and not copy the entire HDD.

That went without a problem but when i try to load XP with the new HDD its goes as far as the final blue screen before you get into the XP desktop and then halts and will go no further.

Has anybody any idea what the problem is

riser

Illustrious
Only the HDD has changed? Not the computer itself?

On your working HDD, you may need to install the patch for Windows to recognize HDDs over a certain size, maybe 160GB I think.

It might not be picking up on the entire HDD and causing the BSOD.

If the computer itself is not the same.. motherboard mainly is different, you'll be SOL for the most part. Windows installs itself to the computer's hardware configuration and by switching that, Windows will not work correctly.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the new hdd is partitioned, you can do a clean install of Windows and not lose you data. Just make sure you format and install Windows on your C drive, which should not affect your D drive (2nd partition) have never lost data doing this but again, make sure you format the correct partition

Albion221

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks seems i will have to format and install XP from scratch. I just thought there was an easier way to do it.

The original installation was a year old so it will probably be a good idea anyway. It will get rid of all the **** that builds up when you have XP running for a while

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

If you have goods, nieces or nephews, or neighborhood kids, a great time to teach them about how to install an OS. Takes some of the pain out of it. :)