Is there anything like a bad RAM upgrade?

RandomDude

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hi there, if I had 2 gigs of fairly fast RAM (corsair xms dominator 6400) and then due to my laptop being faulty, I added the RAM from that to my machine - and given that the laptop RAM is 1 gig, but slower (I think it is 333 Mhz as it is much older) - would that in any way be a performance inhibiter for my machine???

I am not sure if different RAM speeds cause any issues, and I guess it is a naive question, but can anyone clear this up for me?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi there, if I had 2 gigs of fairly fast RAM (corsair xms dominator 6400) and then due to my laptop being faulty, I added the RAM from that to my machine - and given that the laptop RAM is 1 gig, but slower (I think it is 333 Mhz as it is much older) - would that in any way be a performance inhibiter for my machine???

I am not sure if different RAM speeds cause any issues, and I guess it is a naive question, but can anyone clear this up for me?
Won't work. Laptops use SODIMM memory(200 pins), vs. desktops...regular DIMM's ...DDR2(240pins). Sorry. :wink:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, adding a SODIMM to a regular ram slot would cause 1 or all of the following: Dead mobo, pc fire, house fire, trip to the morgue.

subtlewordplay

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Yeah, it's not physically possible. Although I've heard of Sodimm Motherboards as well as Sodimm adapters for standard DDR1&2 motherboards, but not the other way around.