E6600 + Mini Typhoon = 52C idle??

good_man

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I've just replaced my stock Intel cooler with a Thermaltake Mini Typhoon because the idle temp used to be 50C but now it's 52C and :

1. The CPU is at stock speed.
2. The fan is on full power.
3. The room temp is 24C.
4. I used enough thermal paste (half the pack).

So, what could be the problem :?: :!:

1. How big is the pack? Are you sure that you didn't use too much?
2. Was there any type of protective covering on the base (the part that touches the CPU)of the HSF? If yes, then did you remove it? If no, then are you sure there wasn't a protective covering?
3. Does the HSF have good, solid contact with the CPU?
4. How long has the thermal paste had to cure?

lujucto

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Yes definitely sounds something wrong there... I just replaced my stock Intel HSF with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and temps dropped from around the 50 degree area to more like 30 degrees and under

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Far too much thermal past is as bad as not eonough, in fact it can get spread down the sides of the cpu and short it out via the pins.

Most likely cause for bad temps is bad seating.

Buy a tube of artic silver 5 and some Articlean CPU cleaner, get application instructions for your cpu from their website - some cpus need a line at a specific point, not a pea. Clean up both the cpu and heatsink base until shiny. Reapply the correct amount of AS5 according to the correct application instructions from the AS website. Reseat the heat sink - DO NOT LIFT DURING SEATING as air acts as an insulator. Lift and trap air = clean up and start again.

This should solve your problem.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
DO NOT LIFT DURING SEATING

Well, I did lift the heat sink to check if the thermal paste is spread evenly.

That can cause microbubbles to form in the paste and ruin the seating. It sounds to me like you used WAAAAY too much paste. The blob you put on it shouldn't be bigger than a grain of rice.

Take off the heatsink, get a nice cotton pad (women's makeup accessories do the job well here, if you have a gf) and 90% isopropyl alcohol (just rubbing alcohol from walgreens or something). Clean off all of the gunk, and the next time you apply it...don't put so much. Remember, a grain of rice is not that big, and neither is the amount of gap between your cpu and heatsink.

Don't lift it up to check how well it's spread. If you absolutely have to do that, after you lift it up clean it off again with the alcohol and pads, then reapply the same amount if you get a satisfactory spread.

Remember that your mounting system will clamp it down far harder than you ever could by just pushing it with your hands, so it should spread over a wider area and more evenly after you clamp it down.

Far too much thermal past is as bad as not eonough, in fact it can get spread down the sides of the cpu and short it out via the pins.
Which is why I asked how much was in the tube.

OK, what does that mean??
It takes time for some thermal pastes to reach max performance. Using Arctic Silver 5, if you monitor your temps over a 48-96 hour period you would notice temp drops. Nothing dramatic, but a few degrees would be average. That's why I was asking how long it had been curing - in other words how long had it been since you installed the HSF.

Lots of good advice on reinstalling the HSF/thermal paste so I won't rehash their info. I go about it a little differently...I put the thermal paste on the CPU and then I use a credit card to evenly spread it. It's always worked for me, but you will never go wrong following mfrs instructions for install.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
You haven't said what processor your using as a blob isn't the correct application for all. eg. AMD Athlon 64's need a small pea sized blob in the centre, Intel C2D's like a thin line exactly between the 2 cores - artic silver 5 instructions.

You need to check out a web site specifically on the correct application technique for your paste on your particular cpu as all are different, AND DON'T LIFT IT!!!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I've just replaced my stock Intel cooler with a Thermaltake Mini Typhoon because the idle temp used to be 50C but now it's 52C and :

1. The CPU is at stock speed.
2. The fan is on full power.
3. The room temp is 24C.
4. I used enough thermal paste (half the pack).

So, what could be the problem :?: :!:

I use a small blob in the middle, like someone said the size of a rice, and spread it around with the edge of a credit card