Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista loves my hard drive (for breakfast)

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 4, 2007 1:26:48 PM

Hi folks.

So, I've installed Vista-32 on my shiny new gamer, and I've got some problems. (What else is new :p  )

It seems that Vista is playing with my hard drive way too much. When I first start the computer, once I enter my password, I've got enough time to go take a shower before my computer is useable, because Vista will spend the first ten minutes or so grinding away. Same thing happens after I install a program. Grind, grind, grind. And after I finish playing a game: grind, grind, grind. And it sucks, because Vista will barely run while grinding.

I have tried everything I could think of to stop it. I completely disabled indexing, through the Control Panel, and even aggresively using Task Manager to force the indexing processes out of memory, and forcing the indexing service to stop. Still, its grind, grind, grind.

And it seems like Vista is eating my hard drive. One night I'll go to bed with, say, 90GB free space, and wake up with 89GB or so. W T F ?

Anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me?
November 4, 2007 3:11:23 PM

Vista is painful for the first week or so, because it's doing indexing (though you say you turned it off, I suspect it's restarting or something), SuperFetch, and System Restore. I don't recommend it, but you can turn off System Restore and it will save you disk space and disk thrashing (Vista likes to create restore points each time you install a driver or an app, and even when you uninstall). I was annoyed by all this initially as well, but once Vista "optimizes" itself (takes about a week depending on usage) things really smooth out. Just try not to tear your hair out in the process. :) 
If you can't wait, just launch services.msc and disable Windows Search and SuperFetch services.
November 4, 2007 6:47:30 PM

Well, when my new hard drive gets installed, I'll try to be patient (i said try) for that week...
Related resources
November 6, 2007 3:45:40 PM

How much RAM do you have?
November 6, 2007 5:05:15 PM

His 'view his configuration' thing says he has 1.5 gigs.

November 6, 2007 5:20:02 PM

dmroeder said:
His 'view his configuration' thing says he has 1.5 gigs.

Oups, I checked and 1.5GB = his old computer. His new one is 2GB! :) 

I would say that 2GB is the minium for Vista and should not be that bad.

Do you know which process is grinding? :) 

From "Task Manager", go to "Performance" tab, click on the button "Resource Monitor..." at the bottom. The "Disk" section will show you which process is accessing the most your HD, Very usefull in those situations.
November 6, 2007 11:56:49 PM

Okay you're both wrong...I actually have a gig in there right now. My RAM didn't show up at the same time as the rest of my system did. In fact, I built this rig about a week ago, and the RAM *still* hasn't shown up

t(>.<t) to u tigerdirect!

Anyway, its a single stick of 1g ddr2-667, that my local computer dealer loaned me. Andre rocks! :D 

Since my RAM still wasn't in, I bought the hard drive instead. 250GB of SATAII 7200 oughtta pep things up a little. And, since I did a fresh install of Vista, the problem isn't there (yet...).

PS: DO NOT DL THE VISTA CODEC PACK FROM FREE-CODECS.COM!!!
The punks put a popup virus in it. Couldn't figure out how I could get a virus after less than an hour's use... Silly me didn't put NOD32 on first... But it's okay now, thanks to NOD32 and ComboFix...

As far as the RAM goes, it comes in (hopefully) next week. Then let the overclocking begin :na:  ! 2.8 won't be a problem with my setup, and 3.0 will only overclock the RAM by about 60 MHz, so that's my goal.

Laterz
:sol: 

EDIT: i HATE being patient...i'm so much better at IMpatience...Gonna be a long week...
November 7, 2007 10:32:06 PM

1Gb RAM with Vista?...no wonder you're chugging. :)  Vista is paging like crazy, no doubt. Things will smooth out once you get at least 2Gigs in there. I'm using 4Gigs with Vista x64 and my HDD never thrashes. I even have Windows Search and SuperFetch both turned on. There is hope! :) 
November 7, 2007 11:00:23 PM

That why I asked him how much RAM he had!

Yes, 1GB will be slow and your HD will suffer. That cruel! :) 

Like Munkus said (and what I have), 64bits with 4GB is really great!
November 8, 2007 2:11:10 AM

meh im not interested in fighting with Vista over 'driver signing' and crap like that. if i stay with vista at all it will be x86

Might very well go back to XP...ran just fine on my old system. better than vista did. And it's not a great thing when the OS itself is causing my gaming experience to suffer...That doesn't apply as much in my new system, but it may be an issue as games get more advanced. Never mind, more advanced games will require vista im sure...just anther way to get thier moneys worth from the little guy... I really like the look of vista, but it's not worth it...
November 8, 2007 2:23:37 AM

munkus said:
1Gb RAM with Vista?...no wonder you're chugging. :)  Vista is paging like crazy, no doubt. Things will smooth out once you get at least 2Gigs in there. I'm using 4Gigs with Vista x64 and my HDD never thrashes. I even have Windows Search and SuperFetch both turned on. There is hope! :) 

Surprisingly enough, that's not the issue here. At most times, Vista stays within the 512MB that is required. At load up, the ram gets full, and when I'm gaming, of course, but it's not causing my games to slow down. It's loading times, and interaction with vista itself (while not gaming) that is being affected. My RAM gadget right now shows 52%, and yet my hard drive is once again thrashing away, even on a new install on a SATA upgrade...It's not the RAM, or at least not completely. How much RAM do you need to post on a forum? That's all I'm doing, that and whatching the spastic flicker of my computer's HDD light...
November 8, 2007 11:20:57 AM

I told you how to know what going on with your HD? Have you checked with process is accessing your HD?

Check that when grinding in effect and let us know which process name is using your HD like hell.

From "Task Manager", go to "Performance" tab, click on the button "Resource Monitor..." at the bottom. The "Disk" section will show you which process is accessing the most your HD, Very usefull in those situations. Note, you can click on column's header to sort by Read or Write.

Start with that before anything else.
November 8, 2007 11:49:12 AM

Could be indexing... could be that your SATA isn't hooked up right either.

I'm not working off Vista right now through work, but I do remember that under Device Manager, on your SATA Drive, there is a check box that you should check to speed up accessing your SATA drives. Something to do with caching or writing. Check it and that should speed up SATA drive access.
November 8, 2007 11:56:17 AM

His problem is not a slow HD but one that work a lot. He have only 1GB for now and waiting for an extra 1GB. I'm sure the problem is too low memory (1GB) and Vista is trying to optimize it (hummm...).
November 8, 2007 1:55:16 PM

bcboy said:
Surprisingly enough, that's not the issue here. At most times, Vista stays within the 512MB that is required. At load up, the ram gets full, and when I'm gaming, of course, but it's not causing my games to slow down. It's loading times, and interaction with vista itself (while not gaming) that is being affected. My RAM gadget right now shows 52%, and yet my hard drive is once again thrashing away, even on a new install on a SATA upgrade...It's not the RAM, or at least not completely. How much RAM do you need to post on a forum? That's all I'm doing, that and whatching the spastic flicker of my computer's HDD light...

OK I'll admit, that's bizarre. Even if it was paging memory, it shouldn't be doing it constantly. I'd take the previous poster's suggestion and find out what's doing all the HDD I/O. A couple good apps for this are on the Microsoft Sysinternals site: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.m...
Get Process Monitor and Process Explorer. Both are terrific tools.

Good luck!
November 8, 2007 2:06:10 PM

I just checked those two tools and could not see how much a process is accessing the HD?

The one built-in in Vista is really good and easy to use too. I made a shortcut on my desktop and use it when want to know why the HD is being used. :) 
November 8, 2007 7:11:25 PM

Vista is a bit of a memory hog. I have 2 gb of ram, @ idle it uses about 27 %, not terrible. XP was using about 20%. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. One can try deleting a lot of unecessary things from the start up, you really only need your OS and antivirus @ startup.
November 8, 2007 11:44:22 PM

LoneEagle said:
I just checked those two tools and could not see how much a process is accessing the HD?

The one built-in in Vista is really good and easy to use too. I made a shortcut on my desktop and use it when want to know why the HD is being used. :) 

If you don't care for Process Monitor or Process Explorer, you could try Filemon (also from Sysinternals) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDi...

I'm such a system tool whore. :lol: 
November 11, 2007 10:11:03 PM

Well this worked on an old laptop that I had laying around the house that would constantly thrash the hdd. I set the page file to a static size, that way windows leaves it alone and never has to resize it. This is a BIG stretch considering the speed HDD are at now. But ya never know. Ever since I set a static PF size, its been nice and quite.
November 12, 2007 9:26:42 PM

GOT SOLUTIONS! and it took me forever. FIRST, GET RID OF ANY NORTON PRODUCT! Period! Their Real time protection makes the DISK drive slow down by 1600%!
http://tech.kateva.org/2007/03/vista-is-slow-how-to-mak...
"The worst offenders are the anti-virus suites with real-time protection. According to these results, the latest Norton Internet Security degrades boot time by nearly 50 percent. And no, that isn't a typo in the disk column. It also makes all disk access sixteen times slower!"
Next, get all of these hotfixes! Several have to do with disk access.
Windows6.0-KB928135-x86.msu
Windows6.0-KB929734-v3-x86.msu
Windows6.0-KB933262-v2-x86.msu
Windows6.0-KB938194-x86.msu
Windows6.0-KB938979-x86.msu
Windows6.0-KB940105-x86.msu
Windows6.0_KB931770_x86.msu
http://www.vistasp1.net/forums/index.php?
These will all be in the Service Pack when it comes out.

November 16, 2007 3:26:41 AM

I can say I had first hand experience with this last weekend. I bought a new laptop with Vista Basic on it, and Norton Internet Securities on it. The damn thing took 4 minutes to boot. 4 minutes people. Then, I tried to load a pdf file using acrobat 8. That pegged the cpu at 100% and locked up the laptop. At that point I was angry enough about the lack of performance to clean up the OEM install. This was my wife's computer, so I normally didn't care, but that was ridiculous. The first thing to go was Norton, as I have a long standing hatred of Norton, and all antiviral software in general. Then I trimmed up a the start up applications. Now boot times are just under two minutes. Still slow compared to XP standards, but it's livable.
November 30, 2007 7:06:08 AM

I dropped back to Windows XP. I tried EVERYTHING. No antivirus, checked for Spybots, no indexing (turned off), no system restore (turned off), no defrag (turned off), updated drivers (and again and again), updated Bios, copied Vista onto another hard drive. Mind you, 2GB RAM, Core Duo 3 GHz Cpu, SATA drives, no raid. Still takes forever to boot, chumps for at least 5 minutes with constant disk accessing. Then when I try to do 2 THINGS that use the hard drive, constant HDD light and everything slows to a crawl. Task manager shows nothing much running and CPU is at like 4%. I CAN"T TAKE IT ANYMORE! Damn, the drive just kicked into full access just while I was writing this message! WTF? Processes, none except system idle at 99% Then why the hell is my hard disk chumping at full speed here? What is it doing? And why doesn't Processes show me ANYTHING? Turned off all the services I could think of, and yet this hard disk is still chumping away at full speed. Wait, system idle went to 50% and one of the innumerable SYSTEM svchost.exe processes (with the 2nd highest memory usage) is showing some quality hits. So what is this particular svchost and why is it using my hard drive? Well, I ended that process and the drive went back to its usual two or three a second flashing. THAT'S IT!~ Just keep killing processes that I do not even know what they are doing! THAT'S THE CURE!
Screw it. Back to XP and HOPE the service pack fixes it.
It ain't your computer folks, it's Vista.
November 30, 2007 8:06:31 AM

One more post, I swear! Superfetch is a memory and hard drive intensive "service" that Vista has. It tries to PUT INTO MEMORY a whole bunch of hard drive information so that you can acess a program faster. So you start a program and then Vista goes " Oh, this user LIKES this program so I will superfetch it!" So the drive chumps for 5 minutes to superfetch the program you are running, which slows that program AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT BE DOING TO A CRAWL! Here is how to KILL SUPERFETCH.
Hit the start button and search for services. Open it up and double click on these services and disable them! this came from
http://www.nsharp.org/09/vista-tips-and-tricks-1/
I deleted the ones that most people do use (like a printer or scanner!)
5. Distributed link tracking client
8. Offline Files (See http://207.46.197.98/Windows/en-US/Help/93a550df-34cd-4... for more info on what this is)
10. ReadyBoost (if you are not using this feature (no flash drive)
15. Superfetch (This is Vista’s amazing caching service. Think of it as Vista’s Smartdrv. In theory it will slow down some operations but AFAIK it didn’t make much of a difference, and released a LOT of RAM). <---------
16. System Event Notification Service.
17. Tablet PC input service (If no.. tablet PC?).
18. Terminal Serives.
19. Web client.
20. Windows Defender (First disable it from control panel).
21. Windows Error Reporting.
22. Windows Event Log.
24. Windows Search (This is that annoying indexing utility. Keep it if you need to find files fast).
28. Tip: Don’t disable task scheduler as defragment depends on it.

PS This also made my boot time go up DRAMATICALLY! So maybe back to Vista? I will try it out for a while to see..
November 30, 2007 8:19:51 AM

BTW, Kill all the ULTIMATE extras too. big time system abusers! Contrl Panel programs, Uninstall a program, turn windows features on or off, and turn off pretty much everything (you can always turn them back on). Only thing I have left is games and Fax and scan..
December 6, 2007 9:09:55 PM

Well, all of this helps but STILL slower than XP. I dual boot and can do quick compares of running stuff. Running one program at a time is OK, but Vista still has issues with multitasking. Least SUPERFETCH and Norton are not running to really muck things up. Still waiting for the service pack...
!