Permissions? I'm not getting how they work

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Sorry about all of these questions. I'm just VERY new to Linux and anxious to get to know it like I do windows. I was browsing my C drive and tried to look in the lost and found folder. It says I don't have permission to view it. Now I know permissions are important. It's the main thing that makes Linux so secure. It prevents surreptitious installation of software like virus and malware. I don't know how to "sign in" to this folder. Can someone help me with that please? I don't want to like sign in at boot up and have permission for everything the whole session. That would defeat the purpose. It doesn't ask for a password or anything so how do I get in?

linux_0

Splendid
lost+found is almost always completely empty.

It is owned by root and only root can access it.

There is no reason whatsoever for you to access lost+found unless your filesystem becomes seriously damaged and the file system checker program ( fsck ) finds corrupt files and puts the recovered inodes in lost+found. Reassembling the recovered inodes into files can be quite difficult.

It's very important to always shutdown your Linux system cleanly. Suddenly pulling the plug on a Linux or Unix system that was actively using the disk can lead to filesystem problems, this is true for most Linux, Unix and other operating systems including windows. Problems can occur even if you are using a journaled filesystem like ext3, ext4, JFS or others. Non-journaled filesystems like ext2, fat32 and various others are at much greater risk.

Shoot over to Applications Accessories Terminal this will give you a CLI terminal.

You have to be super careful when working as root, the root user can easily damage the system accidentally.

Linux and Unix systems do not protect the user from user error when working as root. Usually a normal user can do very little or no damage to the system but it's a whole other story with root.

Punch in 'sudo su -' without the quotes type your admin user password ( the user you setup when you installed the system ).

If it works you will have a root prompt 'root@computer_name:~#'.

Once you are root you can type up 'ls -la /lost+found'.

This command will list the contents of /lost+found. It should show nothing because as I said the directory is normally empty, so you shouldn't see anything.

Good luck :)