I give up. How do I get flash to work with Ubuntu 9.04?

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I've tried everything. I've read and read and tried this that and the other thing and still no go. :fou: Right now it says flash is installed but it still doesn't work. I get the flash installer to run and it goes through its paces but when it's finished flash still doesn't work. I'd just say to hell with it but EVERYTHING is flash these days. Any ideas?

linux_0

Splendid
First you need a 32bit firefox.

manual installation method using the official flash player

Open a terminal ( Applications Accessories Terminal )

mkdir flash

cd flash

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

tar xzvf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

cd install_flash_player_10_linux

###### this command will run as root, any mistake at this point could break your install

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins

exit

Close any firefox windows you might have had open and open a new firefox.

Go to youtube and see if it works.

The Linux version of crashplayer, err, flash player can cause firefox to slow way down and can cause it to crash.

Good luck :)

linux_0

Splendid
You can also install the 'Gnash SWF Viewer' or 'Macromedia Flash plugin' using Add/Remove applications.

You should install the noscript or flashblock extensions for firefox to prevent flash from doing nasty things to your system.

:)

G

i have the same problem and I tryed to follow what you said but its very unclear. Can you be more specific and go thru it step by step. I typed what you said to type in the terminal and stuff happened but in the end nothing changed there has got to be a simplier way to do this

What version of Linux are you using? I've never had an issue installing the Flash player on Ubuntu through the standard add remove programs option, having enabled the restricted repositories.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Yes, U_9.04 is a Fuster_cluck. Upgrade to U_9.1 .... worked painlessly for me.