Sign in with
Your question

Recovery Partition not accessible?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 19, 2007 11:25:40 PM

Ok First off I was running XP MCE on my pc when i obtained several viruses that wouldn't go away. I used several Programs to remove them and they still persisted. I set up to restart and scan and my comp restarted and got to the user login in screen. First off i didn't have a password set here and instead of my name it was Compaq_administrator. Anyways i hit enter and it started to load settings, then almost immediately it began saving settings. And this became the cycle.
So I decided to borrow a copy of XP to Add so i could Dual boot but the viruses still wouldn't go away and XP wasn't recognizing my monitor as anything other than a generic without the speakers it had. I tried to install the monitor drivers but still wouldn't recognize, so i need to have MCE back on it. So I tried to use the recovery partition but it gave me an error and shut down. After several tries i decided to install XP over the faulty MCE and XP worked fine, but moniter still is a problem and Autodetect doesn't work either.
So I've deleted the XP partition and am in the process of reformatting the C drive. Then i'm going to try to recover MCE from the Recovery Partition. If anyone has gone through somethin like this I would like to hear how you solved your dilema. Any other suggestions would be helpful too. May not be able to post for a while because this isn't my comp, and don't know if my phone will work with your forum but will at least be able to read posts till i can fill you in on whats hapening.
Thanks in advance for your help and time.

~Tomy~
Anonymous
October 20, 2007 11:21:46 AM

Why brand of computer is it?

Grumpy
October 21, 2007 12:46:46 AM

Its a Compaq Presario SR2011WM. Reformat of C drive still wouldn't allow access to D drive system restore. Put XP Back on C and still can't change monitors. Doesn't give me the option to select any other so I can't install it with the right drivers.

~Tomy~
Related resources
Anonymous
October 21, 2007 11:22:54 AM

On most Compaqs, if you hit F10 when you see the BIOS splash screen, you'll boot from the Recovery partition where you can do a destructive recovery. Or you can get Recovery CDs from http://www.computersurgeons.com/shoppingcart/s.htm.

Grumpy
October 28, 2007 9:24:50 PM

Ok, I tried that and got a fatal system Error which read as follows...

Stop : c000021 a (Fatal System Error)
The windows logon process system process is terminated
unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080
(0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I installed Windows Xp seprately at first but that didn't allow it to work. So then I installed it over MCE and still it wouldn't work. I've been trying eveything I can. I even downloaded a copy of MCE and installed it. The monitor is still installed as generic and internal video card must not be working.
Anonymous
October 28, 2007 9:38:50 PM

Tried what? You either boot to the recovery partition using F10 if it exists or get a set of recovery CDs. You need a legal copy of XP MCE not some downloaded bootleg copy.

Grumpy
!